Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why is Jimmie Johnson dominating NASCAR?
The field is good, but he is one of the greatest ever drivers 9 56.25%
He is a good driver, but the field is down from years past 1 6.25%
He is an average driver with the best crew chief and team owner 6 37.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 01:02 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times

Advertisements

Would JJ be putting up these insane numbers against Waltrip and Earnhardt Sr or Petty and Yarborough? It's a question no one can answer but everyone has to wonder about it.

The way he pulled away from Jeff Gordon a few years back by winning nearly all chase races I tend to lean towards him being that good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 02:26 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
I think he is that good, but I also think he has one of the best crew chiefs in the business. They work very well together, and no matter how bad his car is at the start of a race, you can almost always count on the car being a factor at the end.

Some of that is driving. He keeps himself in a position to get the car straightened out. Also, some has to be communication. JJ telling CK what is wrong with the car. Then there is Knaus he seems to have a real knack for getting the car straightened out too.

The field, however, seems to be a mixed bag this year. I think Rousch/Fenway has been disappointing as a whole this year. Gibbs has not been as big of a top contender either, in part because Logano is going through the learning process. Essentially, the chase is already down to which Hendrick driver will win the championship, with the top 4 spots held by Hendrick powered cars (JJ, Martin, Gordon, Stewart).

Old 10-20-2009, 04:39 PM

555 posts, read 1,573,604 times
That whole 48 team is filled with clutch performers. They are the best when the pressure is at it's highest.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:29 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,983 times
He's that good. Just take a look at Dover earlier this year when he had a bad pit stop, lost 7 spots and came out 8th with 25 to go. Even DW hinted that the 48 team beat themselves that day. JJ outwheels Stewart and takes the lead with 2 to go and wins that race.

I believe if you put JJ in the 5,11,18,24, or 14 the results would be about the same as if he were in the 48 even w/o Chad.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:15 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,734,462 times
no i think everyone is better. I mean Vickers won tons of polls, Stewart was in 1st until they wacked the standings for the Chase. Plus JJ races for Hendrick. Put him with Rousch or DEI. He wouldnt be as good.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:53 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,818,992 times
He and Knauss will go down in NASCAR history as being one of the best ever. He won't pass the 200 wins by Petty, but he could very well pass their 7 Championships.

Nothing against Petty, Earnhardt or any of those guys...while the equipment they drove was far inferior to what they race with now, the competition is much, much closer now than in the previous era.

One thing I admire about the #48 team is that during the first 26 races leading up to the Chase, their only focus is getting into the Chase. Being consistent, trying new things when they had a comfortable position in the points.

Now that they are in the Chase, they all are all business, very focused. The other drivers just don't have the same intensity of fire that JJ has. The other drivers set the #48 team as their benchmark, the team to beat...in practice, qualifying and in the race. They all look to see where the #48 is at on the leaderboard.

I would love to see Martin take the Championship, or my driver Jeff Gordon...but like I said in another post, unless something stupid happens to the #48 team, like a 10 cent part breaks, or a tire goes down late in the race, the #48 team will 4-peat.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:16 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
I also wonder how wise it is for so many Chase contenders to race FULL TIME in the truck and grand national series. If the focus is on winning a CUP title then why spend so much time focusing on the lower series? JJ and Knaus' 100% focus is the Cup series and in particular the Chase.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:37 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,152 times
I think JJ is as good as WWE...I mean NASCAR wants him to be. The fans (or lack thereof) are finally getting a clue.

BTW...I have never seen ONE JJ fan. Not even at our local Lowe's.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:41 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,861 times
From a non-NASCAR person, I have a question...What percentage is skill of driver and what percentage is how high performing your car is? Does the car give more edge towards the win or does the driver. Obviously it takes both, but I was curious to know if you guys thought it was 50/50, 80 drive/20 car etc...

Old 10-21-2009, 05:12 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
From a non-NASCAR person, I have a question...What percentage is skill of driver and what percentage is how high performing your car is? Does the car give more edge towards the win or does the driver. Obviously it takes both, but I was curious to know if you guys thought it was 50/50, 80 drive/20 car etc...
You forgot to add in the cheating crew chief. That is a MAJOR part of all of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing