Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 11:06 PM

1,891 posts, read 3,450,728 times

Advertisements

I like those Skylines and the old Datsun Z cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 02:06 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,290,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Actually the worse thig you can drive is a older less environemntal friendly vehcikle if that is your reason. Its not hard to find the studies showing why.Its not anyhting to do with the elctrial stuff either many of whcih actaully help in milaeage amd power taken to drive mecahanically stuff.Car safety and their effect on the environmant has impoved. Clunkers are really bad polluters has study after study have shown.

My 61 Catalina got over 22 mpg on road trips, and yes i did keep it tuned up. also ran 14.00 in the 1/4. 389 2bbl. Why did I quit driving it 2 years ago after 18 years? Someone offered me alot of money for it. As for the new computer controled idiot engines, they are no better than old tuned engines and there still is zero excuse for the transmission to be computer controled at all!!!!

post number 46;

Why did they make cars with only one side mirror back in the old days?

Old 06-27-2010, 01:19 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,326,902 times
another fun car would be a late second gen camaro with a crate motor swap
http://www.todaysauto.net/musclecars/bay-1979-z28/bay-1979-z28%20(3).JPG (broken link)

Old 06-28-2010, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
another fun car would be a late second gen camaro with a crate motor swap

If you would do the camaro, step up in class and drive the Firebirds! Put a 350 thru 455 in it, enjoy the decent mpg and have even more fun that the camaro, plus have a far better looking car!

Old 06-28-2010, 09:55 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,784,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
If you would do the camaro, step up in class and drive the Firebirds! Put a 350 thru 455 in it, enjoy the decent mpg and have even more fun that the camaro, plus have a far better looking car!
While I will agree the late 70's Firebirds looked better than the Camaros, not all years did. Gas mileage wise I don't see how a Pontiac would get much better than a Chevy. Heck my dad's friend owned a '77 T/A with the 400 and claimed it drank fuel like a pig.

It seems some of the responses here have gotten a bit off topic in terms of staying away from the more sophisticated technical cars, so I'm going to go off a limb here....

Now here's something that would bust even a Pontiacs balls any day of the week, still pull down good mpgs and a/c blowing to boot plus a comfortable ride...

And if you wanted to be a little more low-key, this was the other option....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/37/%2782-%2787_Buick_Regal_T-Type.jpg (broken link)

Even Pontiac admitted it busted their balls so bad, they did the unthinkable...."Let's borrow off Buick for a bit and make this...."

http://www.hardwayracing.com/89tta/pics/01.jpg (broken link)

I can't believe it's not a Pontiac....

Old 03-04-2011, 06:07 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,360,443 times
I just bought a El Clamino 78 and having some minor work done and paint job bought it for $800 and it runs

Old 03-05-2011, 05:14 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,208,846 times
i'd love to do an f100 up and drop a 2l turbo diesel into it. more appropriate for todays gas prices

Old 03-05-2011, 08:27 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,538,276 times
If gas keeps going up, might have to find an old Metro and get the engine and transmission in as clos to mint condition so I can get that great MPG.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:39 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,484,138 times
The best car ever made is still plenty available without all that computer stuff and a dashboard that is talking to you all the time:

The fabulous Mercedes W126 - simply the best car ever made. You can buy a well functioning example for $3500 or a museum piece (like I have) for under $15,000. And, good news, everything can be fixed on it (you replace the brushes in the alternator for $20 instead of the alternator for $300) and parts can be sourced everywhere in the world.

Last edited by Wilson513; 06-18-2012 at 10:03 AM..

Old 03-05-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
While I will agree the late 70's Firebirds looked better than the Camaros, not all years did. Gas mileage wise I don't see how a Pontiac would get much better than a Chevy. Heck my dad's friend owned a '77 T/A with the 400 and claimed it drank fuel like a pig.

It seems some of the responses here have gotten a bit off topic in terms of staying away from the more sophisticated technical cars, so I'm going to go off a limb here....

Now here's something that would bust even a Pontiacs balls any day of the week, still pull down good mpgs and a/c blowing to boot plus a comfortable ride...

And if you wanted to be a little more low-key, this was the other option....

Even Pontiac admitted it busted their balls so bad, they did the unthinkable...."Let's borrow off Buick for a bit and make this...."

I can't believe it's not a Pontiac....

Pontiac had no choice by that time tho. They were not Pontiac anymore since the gm board decided to end engine production in the late 70's. Your Dad's buddies 400 had less then 7.5 to 1 compression, it needed a blower, turbo or older heads to bump up compression! None of the no compression late 70's cars got good mpg! As for the mpg statement, every Pontiac Firebird I've ever owned that was stock got better mpg than any of the camaro's that were stock I've had. 15 different Firebirds, over a dozen Tempest/Custom S/LeMans, and 9 Camaros, 5 chevelles/malibus, I think I can make that statement with enough comparision experience.
To give the guys credit at Buick as under achievers in popularity, over achievers in performance is only the beginning. I've had several Buicks too, 67 GS, 70 GSX, (should have kept it but hated the ugly yellow and it was either sell it or paint it a decent color I could stand) and a 70 GSS, along with a 73 455 powered Butterscotch/ dk brown leather interior/ half white vinyl top Century,(1 of 75 455 cars), another aweful yellow 73 350 powered Regal that I worked on until it ran 12.86 at 111mph in the 1/4. It was a love /hate car. I loved building the engine and shocking people it was just a 350 Buick, hated the color, but didn't change it.

A buddy of mine has an 80 301 turbo T/A and we have been playing with it. It is now a solid 24-25 mpg car that will run low 10.40's. The issues with the factory turbo is it is the same as the undersixzed even for the 3.8 v6 of 78 vintage. We put on a cut down torker II intake, (and yes it took some work to make it match the 301 heads- alot more than is visable on the outside!!!!) added a 50mm turbo, and it runs better now than ever. Still running the stock cam! But I feel it is as best it will be with the stock style heads and cam. Any turbo'ed vintage car is in my opinion a winner for daily driving!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive