Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 06:56 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,654,293 times

Advertisements

I'd like to get a '70 Chevy El Camino SS for a (limited) daily driver, and a nice older (70-72) Buick Skylark GS as an alternate.

Although, I've been thinking lately that with these new full replacement steel bodies and frames that are available in the aftermarket, it might be nice to build a brand-new "classic" car from the ground-up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 07:44 AM

5 posts, read 19,843 times
I would search for a vintage car that rides, drives, and has alot of the features of a modern automobile( AC, PS, PB, PW,PL ,similar). As a car nut and collector, the cars that fit this description and I really like are the 70s Z28 and Trans Ams. The 81 models have a computer system that can cause a headache for some, so the 80 and back are my choices. Alot of these cars had a hard life so be careful with your selection. Be careful with the 80s and 90s as alot of these cars had primitive computers and electrical systems. What a cool topic!

Old 06-17-2010, 09:08 AM

1,496 posts, read 3,384,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
That's not quite accurate.

Many, many older American engines lasted well over 100k miles.

For instance, my '66 Dodge Dart GT V-8 had 109,000 when I bought it (original engine and drivetrain). The engine was rebuilt in 1990 with about 175,000 miles only because it was burning oil; it still ran fine and still had quite a bit of power.

Same thing with my brother's '66 Plymouth Fury III V-8... bought with around 110,000 miles and was good for many miles more.

Just two examples of many. The key, of course, was caring for the car... regular oil changes and maintenance. The V-8 engines usually lasted a long time because they weren't stressed much... they were running at about 1/2 their potential (60 mph highway speeds were typical). And most of those engines were well-built to begin with.

Perhaps Ididn't make myself clear enough. I have some very favorite engines from the past,. I own a 51 Ford Flathead V-8 It's a workhorse. I love the 318 and 383 that Plymouth made. The Chevy 327 was one of the best. But today's car engines can go 300,000 miles and I never seen in my 40 plus years of driving an American engine go that distance before a rebuild. I am sure there are instances, I just never heard or seen of them,

Today's cars, if you take care of the engines, will get at least 200K, far better than the average American motor of the 50's - 60's. I suppose in some cases it is merely a matter of how much time and money can devote to maintenence of the engine.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:21 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,300,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
Perhaps Ididn't make myself clear enough. I have some very favorite engines from the past,. I own a 51 Ford Flathead V-8 It's a workhorse. I love the 318 and 383 that Plymouth made. The Chevy 327 was one of the best. But today's car engines can go 300,000 miles and I never seen in my 40 plus years of driving an American engine go that distance before a rebuild. I am sure there are instances, I just never heard or seen of them,

Today's cars, if you take care of the engines, will get at least 200K, far better than the average American motor of the 50's - 60's. I suppose in some cases it is merely a matter of how much time and money can devote to maintenence of the engine.
Oh, there are instances of old engines lasting 300,000 miles.

At a car show a few years ago, there were two cars in the parking area with over 400,000 miles on the original engines... a '68 Chrysler 300 and a '70 Dodge Charger with a 383 engine.

I have a Popular Mechanics magazine from the '80s which had an article of owners with high-mileage cars. They listed the mileage and whatever work was done to the car. Quite a few were over 200,000 miles. Many needed only minor work done, like a new water pump. Many also never had the engine taken apart for a rebuild.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:23 PM

946 posts, read 2,603,691 times
The best car I have ever owned (and still do) is a 1974 LTD 2 door. Hard on gas, 13.8, but if you do 85 you still get 12. C6 trans, bullet-proof. The biggest problem is that the doors are so long you tend to tag cars parked next to you.

I drove this car from AK to WA and will drive it to the southwest next winter.

The ride is the best, heavy components and a seat like a couch.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:53 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,932,720 times
Someone who would agree, though his was a Grand Marquis.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:26 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,265,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teach1234 View Post
The best car I have ever owned (and still do) is a 1974 LTD 2 door. Hard on gas, 13.8, but if you do 85 you still get 12. C6 trans, bullet-proof. The biggest problem is that the doors are so long you tend to tag cars parked next to you.

I drove this car from AK to WA and will drive it to the southwest next winter.

The ride is the best, heavy components and a seat like a couch.
My grandma had a mid-70's LTD. That thing was flippin huge. It was like driving a battleship. She had that car up until about 10 years ago.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:36 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
As for actually realizable drivers, I'd go for a Camry station wagon, late '80s, with a genuine 35 mpg.

If it had to be domestic, a mid-80s Ford LTD Wagon.

If I were a millionaire, and I could find one and maintain it, my pick would be either the Sunbeam Talbot

http://www.gvmvdc.org.au/images/club...t%20Mk%20I.jpg

Or the Citroen Traction Avant

http://www.enovine.net/sport/i28/08i...tion-avant.jpg

Last edited by jtur88; 06-18-2010 at 07:44 AM..

Old 06-18-2010, 08:45 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,218,162 times
Oddly enough, as an electrical engineer I tend to prefer mechanical systems over electronically controlled when it comes to my vehicles. That said, for gassers I am definitely a proponent for electronic fuel injection and ignition systems other than that I am more comfortable with everything being mechanically controlled. Drive by wire systems are really out of the question for me but I don't mind the convenience and reliability of simple electrical circuits for gauging parameters, switching motors, actuating solenoids, and other things of that nature.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:12 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Actually the worse thig you can drive is a older less environemntal friendly vehcikle if that is your reason. Its not hard to find the studies showing why.Its not anyhting to do with the elctrial stuff either many of whcih actaully help in milaeage amd power taken to drive mecahanically stuff.Car safety and their effect on the environmant has impoved. Clunkers are really bad polluters has study after study have shown.
not true these days. vintage cars with the right modifications are just as clean as cars built today, and can handle a ton more punishment. take for instance my 64 falcon. it has been in the family since it was bought new in october 1963. it has been around the country a number of times, and had spent the last 20 years that my aunt owned it in pittsburg while being used as a daily driver. yes there is a lot of rust on the body, salt does that you know, and it has been through a could of transmissions, the 2.77 three speed was not exactly a strong transmission, but the engine, the venerable 170 inline six, is a tough motor. you need a nuclear warhead to kill the thing, and even then if you replace the battery it will still run.

this very car is being restored, body wise, and i will go through the engine, swap in a T5 transmission, and perhaps add an inexpensive fuel injection system. when done this car will be quicker and easier to drive, sip fuel at a 30mpg rate, have decent performance, and still be running long after many of todays cars are rusting away in a scrap yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive