Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 11:28 AM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,453 times

Advertisements

I'll add in that you're in the "zone" for the bigger repairs. From the 90k mark to about the 150k mark is when things like struts and timing belts are no longer a suggestion but a real issue that are pains to deal with on your own and expensive to farm out. Leaks start to crop up in the strangest places, switches stop working, windows refuse to go up or down, fuel issues and so on. Lots of things not listed under regular upkeep.

For those like me that enjoy doing their own work the miles aren't a problem and trade-in is a time I haven't seen in at least 25 years. I've seen them go out on a flatbed but never off to a dealer.

For the average person that can't/won't do their own work or are tired of spending untold hours/dollars waiting for a mechanic to do it then that mileage range is most certainly a time to consider a trade-in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 12:06 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
Do you buy brand new and trade up?

Or do you buy relatively new (up to 4 years old) and then trade up for something relatively new every couple of years?

If one's upside down on a used @100K miles should it be rolled into a new or paid off (25K miles later, and a year or two older) and then sold for cash?
I buy new and trade up to new, I really don't care to buy a used car. When it's new at least I have the peace of mind of a warranty and knowing that I'm not inheriting someone else's nightmare.

It just really depends on your financial situation but I figure it's financially worthwhile to me to trade up every 3 years into a new vehicle.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:22 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
The old Ford now has about 115,000 miles which would not be much for a Toyota or Honda but a lot for a 2002 Ford. The good news it is paid off and still runing, the bad news it is worth maybe $2000.

I can't decide if I want to trade it in for not. On one hand it is nice to have no $250 a month car payment. But on the other hand, I have been spending about $1200 a year in repair costs during the last few years. Just when I think everything is fixed, something new breaks down. But maybe now that so many things have been fixed and replaced (tires, batterys, belts, etc, etc, etc, maybe nothing more will break in the next year and I will save money by not having any car payments, pay less personal property tax and insurance. But I have to assume that there will be another $1200 or so of new repairs in 2011 on. Who knows!

With this in mind how do you finally decide it is time to get a new or newish car?
I decide with raw emotion, how much room is in the bank account and a lifelong insatiable lust for new car smell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive