Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 04:17 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,708,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
Peak oil is here and it's not gona be nuthen nice. The price is predicted to be between 5/10 dollars a gallon by 2012, best to have a small fuel effeciant car tucked away you will be needing it unless your sitting on a boat load of dollars.
Oh please, I think someone has been listening to the left-wing conspiracy theorists a bit much. We have PLENTY of oil still left in the ground which hasn't been tapped much of it in Alaska and Canada at the moment. I'm not sure where you are getting between $5-$10 either, even many "peak oil" conspiracy theorists don't believe we will hit that by 2012 at all.

Nonetheless, I'll still be driving my 14 mpg F-150 whether $3/ gallon or $10/ gallon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 05:55 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,472,077 times
The rise has nothing to do with peak oil at this point, production is well under the max. Refineries are running around 80% of capacity. What you are seeing right now is INFLATION, the (US) government is printing money and it is inflating its value, thereby making commodities cost more. In reality what they are trying to do is inflate their way out of the housing mess, and it's having spillover effects throughout all our lives. I'm on a contract that limits my ability to make more, all I can do is work more to cover the difference in inflation.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,918,474 times
One only has to lo at the chinese and indai econmies that are growing a like 10% rate. We rae no longer the driver in the energy race really. If our was back to normal we would see 4.00 again and then keep climbing.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:55 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,316,029 times
Yep, this is due to disastrous monetary policy in a attempt to reinflate the credit bubble which means hot money ramping grains and oil which only benefits the big banks.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:20 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,258,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmypets View Post
It seems like every other day the price of gas changes,A month ago it was $2.59 a gallon and was going up and down every few days then it just kept going up and now it is almost $3.00 a gallon! What is going on here?
What's going on is stocks are going up, metals are going up, commodities are going up, energy is going up.... when everything goes up in tandem like that, it usually means excess currency liquidity.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:50 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,862,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Oh please, I think someone has been listening to the left-wing conspiracy theorists a bit much. We have PLENTY of oil still left in the ground which hasn't been tapped much of it in Alaska and Canada at the moment. I'm not sure where you are getting between $5-$10 either, even many "peak oil" conspiracy theorists don't believe we will hit that by 2012 at all.

Nonetheless, I'll still be driving my 14 mpg F-150 whether $3/ gallon or $10/ gallon.
Well that's the whole problem, I haven't been listening to left wing Al Gore type idiots, I've been listening to people in the oil and gas drilling industry, they are the ones that are warning that no new major oil fields have been discovered in the last 10 years and that production on old oil fields are depleting fast. It wont be long before the small surplus is used up and speculators are picking up on this. Now if you commute say 56 miles each way to work and gas were to go to 10 dollars a gallon that would be 80$'s a day in gas, maybe that's doable for you, but not most of us.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Well that's the whole problem, I haven't been listening to left wing Al Gore type idiots, I've been listening to people in the oil and gas drilling industry, they are the ones that are warning that no new major oil fields have been discovered in the last 10 years and that production on old oil fields are depleting fast. It wont be long before the small surplus is used up and speculators are picking up on this. Now if you commute say 56 miles each way to work and gas were to go to 10 dollars a gallon that would be 80$'s a day in gas, maybe that's doable for you, but not most of us.
I also follow the oil industry, what about different oil fields just recently being tapped in Canada or just discovered in Brazil? What about ANWR?

There are MANY great, reputable online resources debunking the MYTH of peak oil. Many oil analysts have even publicly said that there is no oil shortage.

And I commute roughly 35 miles each way to work but on average after doing errands, I'll put on about 80-90 miles each week. Burn about 6 gallons each day, still will be driving my truck even if I pay $10 gallon.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:23 PM

Canada, Brazil and ANWR acoording to what I've read will be expensive and a drop in the bucket for overall world oil consumption. Now if your burning around 42 gallons of gas a week at 10$'s a gallon that's 21,840$'s a year on just gasoline, how much did you pay for your truck? I'll keep my large 4 door truck for hurricane evacuations, but I'll have a small 4 banger commuter to get me back and forth to work.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Canada, Brazil and ANWR acoording to what I've read will be expensive and a drop in the bucket for overall world oil consumption. Now if your burning around 42 gallons of gas a week at 10$'s a gallon that's 21,840$'s a year on just gasoline, how much did you pay for your truck? I'll keep my large 4 door truck for hurricane evacuations, but I'll have a small 4 banger commuter to get me back and forth to work.
Paid about $42K for my truck a few months back and obviously if gas would be $10/gallon I wouldn't be driving AS much...would have an excuse to buy a Cadillac CTS-V for my daily driver but NO, I will not be purchasing a compact vehicle anytime in my life.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:37 PM

Never say never, as you never know what life will throw at you, course in a few years they will be making pickups that get 30+ miles a gallon and I speculate Ford will be in the forefront of this production.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive