Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 05:35 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Whatever happened to mechanics giving written estimates prior to performing work or ordering parts?
Neither I or my wife have even been to the place where it's at, and neither one of us has signed anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 06:48 PM

1 posts, read 957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
A month ago, my 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid stopped accelerating upon push of the gas pedal, and wouldn't respond to other transmission (auto) requests.

We had it towed it to our normal auto repair shop, a Firestone.

They had our car towed to their contracted transmission shop.

After two weeks, the shop decided we needed a new transmission, and they were going to look for a rebuilt one before they looked at getting a new one.

Another week goes by, and they can't find any used ones, and "Per Honda, all new transmissions for our car are on back-order, because 2005 HCH transmissions have been going out all over the place".

Last week, my wife went to a Honda dealer, and asked if they had any transmissions for our car. They said "Yes", and they could have it there in three days. My wife asked if they had been on back-order. They said "no". The transmission itself would cost $2150.

My wife called the guy at the transmission shop and let him know this little piece of information, and he said that he'll call them and get us the numbers.

The next day, the transmission shop called and asked for a $2500 down payment on the job.

Now, I've never heard about down payments on auto repair work. I really don't feel comfortable putting a down payment on work done by a shop that has been giving us the runaround for the past month.

Please advise.
FIRESTONE?!?! screw them, same thing happened to me. I lost A LOT of bucks to them!!!!!!! When i checked auto repair estimates,the prices were half cheaper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I should have searched first on online repair estimates before going to that insane shop or any other shop. Felt like an idiot for that. Well,at least now I've learned my lesson.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:05 AM

534 posts, read 2,408,650 times
Yer getting screwed. The deale would have been the better option, and if you buy the tranny and installit there, it may have had a 3/36 warrantee. (a little complicated, if they good will it and you pay anything, 1 yr or rest of factory warrantee, if you pay it all, should be 3/36). Firestone is ok for brakes and tires, but not this kidn of stuff. In my city, they would have had to give you a estimate within 15% f the cost and you would have to sign it for any of this to go on. Btw the fact the tourque converter is now 'bad', shows you what was originally wrong... and it wasnt the tranny..

Provided your car isnt cvt or something like that, an auto tranny job here on hondas is $1200. My accord is just about due one.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:38 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,968 times
Friend. Your problem other than needing repairs STARTED with the word FIRESTONE....Firestone stores in general are notorious for over charging and scamming the customers out of "extra" cost...Demand written estimates and detailed bills. Most repair shops never require up front money on repairs because if you do not pay up you CANT GET YOUR CAR. NEVER trust a mechanic you know nothing about is always the best. If you have not entered into a legal agreement with these crooks I would suggest having your car towed to another shop for an estimate.

Last edited by Nativechief; 11-20-2010 at 08:52 AM..

Old 11-20-2010, 08:47 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbugmiami View Post
Yer getting screwed. The deale would have been the better option, and if you buy the tranny and installit there, it may have had a 3/36 warrantee. (a little complicated, if they good will it and you pay anything, 1 yr or rest of factory warrantee, if you pay it all, should be 3/36). Firestone is ok for brakes and tires, but not this kidn of stuff. In my city, they would have had to give you a estimate within 15% f the cost and you would have to sign it for any of this to go on. Btw the fact the tourque converter is now 'bad', shows you what was originally wrong... and it wasnt the tranny..

Provided your car isnt cvt or something like that, an auto tranny job here on hondas is $1200. My accord is just about due one.
It isn't Firestone that is doing the transmission work, they farmed it out to an independent transmission shop.

The transmission itself was $2150, as quoted by the dealer, and how much the transmission shop is telling me they paid (it is CVT).

Old 11-20-2010, 10:19 AM

534 posts, read 2,408,650 times
Yep, if it is cvt, they replace rather than rebuild. Its unfortunate but you'll just have to pay to get the car back, and by the looks of it, you'll just have to pay whatever they deem necessary. People are scared of the dealer, for for some things, they are right. But this would have been a better deal for the customer, mostly because of the way honda treats replacement parts, the warrantee would have been worth it. At a honda dealer this would have been a 3 day job including ordering the tranny.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:28 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Neither I or my wife have even been to the place where it's at, and neither one of us has signed anything.
I thought it wasth law, but maybe it isn't everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive