Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 01:13 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
No problem, Sir! What do you think your groceries will cost when truck diesel hits $8/gallon???

If its supposed to be $8 per gallon then that's what it should be. I am unimpressed by the fears of a few dollars per gallon causing mass starvation though. Lets see. 50,000 lbs of food needs about 1000 gallons of fuel to get it to market. So that would be about 50lb per gallon, max. So 50 pounds of food now costs $300 and if we add $4 for an expensive gallon of diesel it wil cost $304. Ooooohhh. The sky is falling.

See, its just like those illegals doing the work Americans wont do . . . FOR $7 PER HOUR. They will do it for $28 per hour unless someone thinks picking lettuce in the California sunshine is a whole lot harder than digging frozen sewerage out of a ditch in Downtown Detroit in February.

So if you paid a letuuce picker $28 per hour how much will lettuce cost? Well, since a picker can pick about 1000 head of lettuce an hour it would add . . . $.02 per head to the cost of lettuce. Big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 02:33 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Rethink my transportation??? Get real! I live 30 miles from work. I have to carry everything but the kitchen sink into my truck from the parking lot. I work an overnight shift and I get off at a different time every day. Just what options do you think I have...

Would love to take a bus but my worplace is nowhere near a bus line and the closest bus line to my home is a GOOD mile away. And, oh, I only get 10 hours off between shifts many days. Yeah, transferring from bus-to-bus in two different counties would be an effective use of my time...
I don't think you'll have much to worry about if fuel prices go as high as many think they will since many business will have to close or lay off to stay afloat.

While many think on a personal level only the issue is large enough to cause a massive rethink/restructuring of how all business is carried on.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:55 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
If its supposed to be $8 per gallon then that's what it should be. I am unimpressed by the fears of a few dollars per gallon causing mass starvation though. Lets see. 50,000 lbs of food needs about 1000 gallons of fuel to get it to market. So that would be about 50lb per gallon, max. So 50 pounds of food now costs $300 and if we add $4 for an expensive gallon of diesel it wil cost $304. Ooooohhh. The sky is falling.

See, its just like those illegals doing the work Americans wont do . . . FOR $7 PER HOUR. They will do it for $28 per hour unless someone thinks picking lettuce in the California sunshine is a whole lot harder than digging frozen sewerage out of a ditch in Downtown Detroit in February.

So if you paid a letuuce picker $28 per hour how much will lettuce cost? Well, since a picker can pick about 1000 head of lettuce an hour it would add . . . $.02 per head to the cost of lettuce. Big deal.
I am interested to know where you got your numbers from and whether that includes the cost of growing, materials to make and move the tools, fertilizer, pesticides etc.

Thanks in advance, I enjoy widening my knowledge base.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:30 PM

I don't know anything about fuel costs on the farm. I was just replying to Crew Cheif's concern about transportation fuel cost. I'd be interested in your question too.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:41 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
And yet when experts say the world is overpopulated the masses say we got plenty of room.

We got plenty of oil for 2 billion people but not enough for 4 billion.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:45 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post

While we're on the subject of food.

The price of corn is going up, up, up. Mainly because of Ethanol production. Farmers are tickled, the rest of us are screwed....

Old 02-11-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
While we're on the subject of food.

The price of corn is going up, up, up. Mainly because of Ethanol production. Farmers are tickled, the rest of us are screwed....

Totally agree. Ethanol fuel subsidy is just about the dumbest thing government has done ever. Except maybe for subsidizing children only if the father is not living in the home.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:52 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,333,676 times
The main point is all about efficiency. Not only cars with modern Diesel engines but also fuel efficient trucks, aircrafts, railroads and a lot of public transport. Why do we have to carry goods all around the world and the country, if local sourcing would be avaliable as well? There is no need to carry beverages from California to Pennsylvania or apples from Oregon to New York...

Other countries can get along without millions of pickup trucks and with public transport, so can we, its just a matter of getting this into peoples mind. Now we have the time to rethink.... some years in future we can only react and feel sad about wrong decisions in our past.

Quote:
Just what options do you think I have...
One option would be a fuel-efficient small car, leaving your truck in the garage unless you need it to carry goods...

Quote:
We got plenty of oil for 2 billion people but not enough for 4 billion.
Yes and actually we are 7 billion people very soon. Why do we think its our right to consume all the oil, and why do we complain about other countries with growing consumption which is still far far below our per capita consumption? We are just 300 million of 7 billion... And we have to get along with others claiming the same rights, we had over the last hundred years.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Why do we think its our right to consume all the oil, and why do we complain about other countries with growing consumption which is still far far below our per capita consumption? We are just 300 million of 7 billion... And we have to get along with others claiming the same rights, we had over the last hundred years.
Here is a good example of the "social justice" mentality.

We have the right because we are productive people, living in a (somewhat) free society, with the resources to have a great life. Have fun in Rwanda. they know how to do it your way.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:48 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
The main point is all about efficiency. Not only cars with modern Diesel engines but also fuel efficient trucks, aircrafts, railroads and a lot of public transport. Why do we have to carry goods all around the world and the country, if local sourcing would be avaliable as well? There is no need to carry beverages from California to Pennsylvania or apples from Oregon to New York...

Other countries can get along without millions of pickup trucks and with public transport, so can we, its just a matter of getting this into peoples mind. Now we have the time to rethink.... some years in future we can only react and feel sad about wrong decisions in our past.

One option would be a fuel-efficient small car, leaving your truck in the garage unless you need it to carry goods...

Yes and actually we are 7 billion people very soon. Why do we think its our right to consume all the oil, and why do we complain about other countries with growing consumption which is still far far below our per capita consumption? We are just 300 million of 7 billion... And we have to get along with others claiming the same rights, we had over the last hundred years.
Pay no mind to those here that try to discredit your point of view. You are right and they know it............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive