Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 11:02 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,334,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
We have the right because we are productive people, living in a (somewhat) free society, with the resources to have a great life.

I'm not talking about Rwanda, I'm talking about China and India. These countries are becoming more and more productive, whereas the US is not. And people complain about greedy Chinese people consuming all "our" oil, even we still consume much more (per capita).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 11:08 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,143,580 times
We are becoming more and more like many third world countries. When gas gets too high for the average person to use it we can then be like mexico(which seems to be the agenda anyway) and start riding donkeys. Donkeys dont need no stinkin gas

Old 02-12-2011, 03:27 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,541,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
One option would be a fuel-efficient small car, leaving your truck in the garage unless you need it to carry goods...

Who's gonna buy me the extra car and help me maintain it??? And besides, my 6', 300 pound frame doesn't fit wel into a small econobox car, nor is it as comfortable as my Ford F150. Nor will any number of things we need around the house fit into that econobox. You're welcome to drive anything you want. Just as I am. This is America.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:29 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,689,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Who's gonna buy me the extra car and help me maintain it??? And besides, my 6', 300 pound frame doesn't fit wel into a small econobox car, nor is it as comfortable as my Ford F150. Nor will any number of things we need around the house fit into that econobox. You're welcome to drive anything you want. Just as I am. This is America.
Yes, each to his/her own. Sustainability will change all of our minds when the time comes so don't get to comfortable.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
If its supposed to be $8 per gallon then that's what it should be. I am unimpressed by the fears of a few dollars per gallon causing mass starvation though. Lets see. 50,000 lbs of food needs about 1000 gallons of fuel to get it to market. So that would be about 50lb per gallon, max. So 50 pounds of food now costs $300 and if we add $4 for an expensive gallon of diesel it wil cost $304. Ooooohhh. The sky is falling.

See, its just like those illegals doing the work Americans wont do . . . FOR $7 PER HOUR. They will do it for $28 per hour unless someone thinks picking lettuce in the California sunshine is a whole lot harder than digging frozen sewerage out of a ditch in Downtown Detroit in February.

So if you paid a letuuce picker $28 per hour how much will lettuce cost? Well, since a picker can pick about 1000 head of lettuce an hour it would add . . . $.02 per head to the cost of lettuce. Big deal.
For starters, it would take TWO trucks to haul 50,000# of groceries (I can get about 46,000# in a reefer trailer if it's loaded properly). And, no, we wouldn't starve if fuel were $8/gallon. But there's a LOT of other things that we won't be buying if the extra money is going into our car's gas hole...

I'm not sure what your point is about illegals doing the work Americans won't do. Is it perhaps that people like you want to see pretty much EVERY job that pays anything (exccept CEO, lawyer or Politician) turned in to a "McJob" with starvation wages, no benefits and no retirement? But I digress, this thread is actually about transportation...

Old 02-12-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Yes, each to his/her own. Sustainability will change all of our minds when the time comes so don't get to comfortable.
I'll worry about "sustainability" as soon as I'm finished worrying about "climate change"...

Old 02-12-2011, 03:42 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,689,212 times
Quote:
I'll worry about "sustainability" as soon as I'm finished worrying about "climate change"...
Ok by me. That said, don't get to wrapped up in justifying your present lifestyle that you get blind sides by the twin truths when they hit us all. You can't justify your way out of what will eventually come to pass.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Ok by me. That said, don't get to wrapped up in justifying your present lifestyle that you get blind sides by the twin truths when they hit us all. You can't justify your way out of what will eventually come to pass.
Well, George Harrison once sang "All Things Must Pass". But, no, I'm not sitting around waiting for the world to come to an end or anything. But if YOU want to drive an econobox, eat local or partake in whatever other crazy fad that come along, be my guest.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:09 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,334,857 times
Of course, as long as we can afford the gas, we can continue driving our trucks... but this times won't last so very long.

That's what I meant... today we have the freedom of choice, but sooner or later we won't unless we are super rich.

If fuel prices doubles over the next years, which certainly will be a fact (just a matter of time) we have two options:

a.) Continue driving the same car, spending twice the money on fuel and saving money on other things like electronics, food, vacation, whatever...

b.) Driving a fuel-efficient car, spending the same money on fuel as today

Everybody has to strike his own compromise on that. Most hopefully, technology will lead to less fuel consumption without less comfort, but gas guzzling V8 engines - as much as I like them - won't be a solution forever.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:05 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,490,762 times
Quote:
For starters, it would take TWO trucks to haul 50,000# of groceries (I can get about 46,000# in a reefer trailer if it's loaded properly). And, no, we wouldn't starve if fuel were $8/gallon. But there's a LOT of other things that we won't be buying if the extra money is going into our car's gas hole...

I'm not sure what your point is about illegals doing the work Americans won't do. Is it perhaps that people like you want to see pretty much EVERY job that pays anything (exccept CEO, lawyer or Politician) turned in to a "McJob" with starvation wages, no benefits and no retirement? But I digress, this thread is actually about transportation...
As usual, you have drawn an incorrrect conclusion about what "people like you" (meaning me) think. In fact, you have come up with the exact opposite of what I said.

I am in favor or higher wages. Illegal immigrants reduce wages because they do work Americans would be happy to do for a fair wage but not for a illegals' wage with no benefits.

You are lucky to be a truck driver because you are protected from illegals who cannot get a CDL without some valid ID. But every other field has been depressed by illegals entering the system and depressing wages. How would you like it if your emplyer could find all the drivers they needed for $4 per hour?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive