Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 07:19 PM

792 posts, read 1,302,410 times

Advertisements

I used to be a "nice guy" but never again. About 2 years ago that situation arose where a sranger, in a shopping center requested a jump start. I have made it a practice to never connect the vehicle being "jumped"....so he connected the cables to his vehicle, I to mine........

No response, however there was a faint trace of an odor of something burning....The guy then alleged that I "fried" his electrical system....

What I said to him isn't worth repeating....point being....with the newer electronics I won't put myself in that position again......And.....three days later my alternator dumped.....coincidence...maybe.......worth te risk........not !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 07:24 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,391,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Interesting that you 'thank people for the responses' when they agree with you, but respond sarcastically when people do not.

If you did not want people's opinions, I would recommend that you not ask!

It may be a good idea for you to familiarize yourself with some basics such as changing a tire, replacing a belt, or jumping a battery.

Having AAA might not save you when you are too far out, have no phone signal, or could fix something in 5 minutes vs a 3 hour wait!!!

I saw why you didn't WANT to mess with it.

I don't claim to be a particularly good christian, but I remember the parable of the good Samaritan.

Has anyone ever helped you?

There's no 'twiddling around, and I made sure my sisters knew how to do basic maintenance when they were learning how to drive. If THAT's your excuse....

As for safety.... I'm a 6 foot tall Marine looking guy. And I typically have 'the difference' if possible.

If you were a 5 foot woman I'd understand.

You didn't feel like helping others in need, and YOUR attitude made worse their already bad day. You feel guilty about it, and post here to get support for your guilt.

Sorry, not gonna play ball.

Your right to do so... I just hope you one day arn't at the mercy of people like yourself.

Hell, I even pick up hitch-hikers. Not all of them (Lot of difference between the 'bad vibe' people in a parking lot and in your car)
And there's a J frame under my left leg when they are in the car.

But I try to help others.

That whole 'do unto others' bit...
Lol.. not all responses were "agreeable" with my opening post. Not at all. It was a fair question. People gave reasons why they would or would not do a boost. I thanked them. But no one smugly cussed at me as you did. Sarcastic, eh? I think you're the one with an attitude problem, and a massive one at that. Keep picking up those hitchhikers and your attitude may soon be over, Mr. "Marine looking guy." I don't feel "guilty" one iota about not boosting those guys when they were in a gas station with an open garage, for the reasons stated. And I didn't actually say I didn't feel like it, I said I didn't want to mess with it, for the reasons stated. IMO

Old 02-20-2011, 11:15 PM

1,977 posts, read 6,864,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty MacButter View Post
So you think they should have just asked the station's garage for a boost? Most garages have portable boosting/charging devices. Maybe the service costs to much?
Yes, that is a red flag to me. They are either cheap or just looking for trouble. Who knows, maybe they asked the station folks but were declined due to their attitude-those would have been the thoughts flashing in my mind.
So far most garages I have been too would jump you for free with the hopes of earning your business.
I have worked in a shop way back when and have seen my share of crazy people, I see some comment that they would let the other car's owner connect the cables to their car. I am not sure I am comfortable with that, but I guess it is less liability-I never thought helping jump a car could create liability, such a litigious beings we have become.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:37 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,130,647 times
Quote:
Lol.. not all responses were "agreeable" with my opening post. Not at all.
Mine was the first flat out dissent up till your 2nd post at least. Just went back and looked up till there)

Quote:
It was a fair question. People gave reasons why they would or would not do a boost. I thanked them. But no one smugly cussed at me as you did.
Wouldn't consider it smug, nor cussing. Meerly agreed with the description.
-Besides your:
Quote:
Quote:
(I cussed him out too of course)
Shows us that your hardly a delicate flower who would/should be offended by the term.

Quote:
Sarcastic, eh? I think you're the one with an attitude problem, and a massive one at that.
You are entitled to your OPINION.
Just remember, that you ASKED for mine!

Quote:
Keep picking up those hitchhikers and your attitude may soon be over, Mr. "Marine looking guy."
It's possible, but something tells me you ether missed the reference to the 'J frame' or don't know what that is!

Quote:
I don't feel "guilty" one iota about not boosting those guys when they were in a gas station with an open garage, for the reasons stated.
Possible. But as I said, since you posted the question I doubt it.
Quote:
And I didn't actually say I didn't feel like it, I said I didn't want to mess with it, for the reasons stated. IMO
"Didn't feel like it" vs "Didn't want to mess with it"
Are you REALLY trying to differentiate between the two?!?

Old 02-20-2011, 11:47 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
All depends on the situation. For example, most drivers don't realize that getting a jump-start can damage the vehicle's ECU, something that's clearly explained in the owner's manual. So, I go out there and jump start this little lady's very expensive Mercedes and fry the ECU

Also, you will notice that a power switch is installed out of the way on the dash near the steering column with a lot (not all) auto remote starters. If you read in the manual for the starter, the switch should always be turned OFF prior to jump-starting the vehicle so you don't fry the control unit.

Well... I can always park my car in a way that she does not notice my license plates, take the chance to fry her car's ECU, and then drive away.
Pull the cable off the negative terminal before jump starting, and you should be fine.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:56 PM

20,349 posts, read 19,937,992 times
It's been years since anyone's asked but, yeah, I give them a boost.

Come to think of it, I only carry jumpers in my truck, it's been that long.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:37 AM

273 posts, read 957,538 times
Just thinkin...maybe a 'simple' cutout switch could be installed by car makers on the jumping/jumped cars or both to prevent electrical damage in such emergencies....

not that I think they would actually DO this...preferring to print warnings and disclaimers in the middle of a 500 page owners manual instead

BTW I have given and requested jump starts many times ... more in the old days than lately ... and will still do it unless the situational vibes are wrong.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:24 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,991 times
I have always given jumps and recieved them but after reading this thread I will be afraid to. I had no idea you could damage your car by giving a person a jump.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:17 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,784,156 times
I never do because the few times I've been asked, my spidey sense tingles and I think something shady is going on, plus I am always worried about damage to my vehicle. I don't carry jumper cables with me and I'd never want to trust anybody else's.

One of my car's is heavily modified and it left me stranded in a nice area of town and I used my cellphone to call a wrecker. I decided to just sit on the side of the road and wait it out - and without getting into stereotypes about me, my car or the people that stopped to ask I'll just say I was quite surprised at the two people who stopped and asked me if I needed help - because if I were them I would have kept right on going. So at least the good Samaritan instinct is alive in some people. But for me the risk of being jacked and the risk of damage to my vehicle's ECU or battery is too great to ever do it.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:16 AM

80 posts, read 338,594 times
always. where i come from it seems rude not to help someone out with somethin as simple as that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive