Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 06:59 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times

Advertisements

I will generally try to help another motorist, though I don't like to jump start cars. I do have a jump box like wilson1010 does, but it may not be in the car that I have when someone else needs help . I have it because of a classic Mercedes that used to have periodic battery issues.

The last time I was asked for assistance, in late December 2010 (cold NY night), I did not have it with me. The lady who asked me to help her jump her SUV had cables, so we went that route, but to no avail. It was a desolate parking lot, where I could not in conscience leave this woman alone, despite being in an affluent area. So, I waited with her until her husband arrived, only a minute ahead of the tow truck, both of which took about half an hour. Sure, it was not my responsibility, but how guilty would I feel if the one in a billion chance happened to that lady that night? I just called to say that I was delayed and we went to a later movie.

Another time I stopped to help someone (not with a dead battery), and couldn't do anything but wait with the lady and her children. It turned out that she was a friend of a friend of my sister-in-law; and, I received a surprise gift of the most delicious homemade cookies from her.

I will generally try to help someone, even if jump starting makes me uncomfortable with a particular car (not the person, electrical issues). A BMW tech once told me to turn on the headlights, keep the blower fan on, and turn on the rear window defroster in my car to minimize the chance of a power surge when jump starting another car. I do that with any make/model now, and have been lucky the times when I have had to jump another car as I have not sustained any electrical damage.

Ironically, I have helped people at gas stations -- on more than one occasion. One time I was on Ventura Blvd. and a gentleman with an older Volvo asked me for a jump start. That station had a garage, but I think it was after service hours. I didn't even question helping him because a dead battery can happen to anyone; and the attendant in the office after hours is not going to be of help, even at a station with service bays.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 07:01 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,388,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Your opinion... for what it's worth. (Not much to me)

Again, yoru opinion. I think slightly worse of someone with your 'worldview', so I guess we're even!

Do you often hold people accountable for what other people do?
(Hey,Hitler Killed a lot of people... so I don't like you!)
So what if they were riding together. are you accountable if a co worker steals from the company and you didn't know?

Besides, as I said. Some might believe it accurate.

You could always be the bigger man and walk away. (I guess not)

HEY, you know what... Your welcome for answering your question!

As I said, IMHO YOU were the 'nasty one' and It WAS totally uncalled for!

Yep. VERY possible. However, People have tried to put sharp pointy things in me in different parts of the world without success. I might get run over helping a little old lady across the street too!

So you continue to say.
Actions vs words.

So I see.

No

This is at odds with the rest of what you say.

You give 'their attitude and factors about them' as grounds for not helping other than 'you didn't want to mess with it' and the bit about the car came out later IIRC.

But you'd bend over the car and push, putting yourself into a tactically undefendable and unaware position?????

I doubt it.

And if so, a grave blunder.
Much of your reply is rambling ***, almost as if you're trolling. At times I don't think you even know what's going on. For example, I never said "their attitude and factors about them... blah blah." In fact, I pretty much said the opposite. Also, if you think "not feeling like helping" and not wanting to "mess" with a certain situation are exactly the same thing, then you're essentially calling everyone in this thread who would not do a boost, an a-hole (according to your post #27). Maybe you, yourself should reconsider giving boosts if it puts a vehicle's electronics at risk, even if it's a small risk. However, if you're dealing with older vehicles I guess it's cool.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Don't wanta.

My first post was constructive according to the OP. IF someone wants to argue with me....

Have at it. We all come here from the discussion. Not discussing would be counterproductive.
Typical...The first sentence of that post may have been constructive, but what followed was unconstructive to say the least.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:15 PM

Wilson1010 and bmwguydc, the jump box sounds like a good idea, something handy to have.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty MacButter View Post
Wilson1010 and bmwguydc, the jump box sounds like a good idea, something handy to have.
They are handy to have, and as wilson1010 pointed out there's quite a range in price. I think that Craftsman has one that is a combination unit, with an air compressor, lights, as well as jumper cables. I have a separate air compressor with lights from the jump box.

City-Data FAQs

Old 02-23-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
They are handy to have, and as wilson1010 pointed out there's quite a range in price. I think that Craftsman has one that is a combination unit, with an air compressor, lights, as well as jumper cables. I have a separate air compressor with lights from the jump box.

According to the AERSI website, these jump boxes are the way to go, and they won't overload a car's electronics.

Interesting:
AERSI: Everything Toyota, Lexus and Scion

Old 02-23-2011, 08:10 PM

860 posts, read 2,204,040 times
I have a few times before without any trouble. If the person seems sketchy or whatever then I would consider otherwise. However just this past weekend I was at a Taco Bell and an employee asked if I could give his friend a jump while I was eating. I thought this was rather innapriopriate and I just left the restaurant.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
According to the AERSI website, these jump boxes are the way to go, and they won't overload a car's electronics.

Interesting:
AERSI: Everything Toyota, Lexus and Scion
Exactly. I just have to remember to put mine in the respective car when dashing out of the garage. Otherwise, I will reluctantly give a jump, but do what the BMW tech told me to do. I need to make it a habit to bring the jump box with me, since it's of no use sitting in the garage when needed on the road.

I would recommend getting a good one, since they can also be handy for camping, or charging cell phones and laptops during power outages.

City-Data FAQs

Old 02-24-2011, 01:37 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Default Do you give battery boosts when people ask for them?

I probably would if they had the jumper cables. In my experience, those who drive cars with weak batteries tend to be clueless and helpless. Meaning they won't have jumper cables. They expect everyone else to carry a set for them.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:08 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
Quote:
I had a situation at the gas station today. A guy asked me for a battery boost, but I didn't want to mess it and replied, "Sorry, I'm in a hurry." He said OK, and walked back to the car where his friend was standing. I thought that was that, but when I was about to leave, his friend yelled, "Thanks a lot, A..hole!" I told him to walk up to me if he wants to say that (I cussed him out too of course). He didn't come over, but there was a lady and her kid at one of the pumps, so I ended up feeling bad about cussing. Felt angry about the whole thing, really.

They were asking other people for a boost, but there were no takers. The station's garage was open, so they could have gotten a boost there. In fact, the guy filling up next to me said he told them to do that.

Anyhow, do you guys always give battery boosts to strangers asking for one?
His friends comment was certainly uncalled for, and wrong, but I would have just let it go, it could be dangerous to get into a fight with strangers, plus your just end up sinking to their level. Saying "I'm in a hurry" when they are at a busy station is perfectly reasonable, it's not like you were leaving them stranded with no other recourse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive