Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 02:08 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times

Advertisements

Last time I got asked was a couple of years ago and I was happy to help.

I was paying it forward.

Ten years ago I had a car that had major problems and frequently needed a jump. Usually in the Walmart parking lot. I had more than one really nice guy stop and offer help as soon as I lifted the hood and stood next to it looking kind of perplexed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 03:18 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,176,936 times
If someone asked or I saw someone in need, unless, as mentioned, something seemed really off, I would be happy to help.

As others mentioned, Paying it Forward is the way to go. I would want someone to stop for my sister or girlfriend if they needed it.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:31 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
It's been a really long time since I needed one or was asked for one. I don't even think I have any cables in my car anymore.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:53 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,391,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Mine was the first flat out dissent up till your 2nd post at least. Just went back and looked up till there)
I got back to the thread the next day and replied at that time. Anyway, it doesn't matter because I have no problem thanking ALL posters for their input, except someone who is smugly offensive on a message board.

Quote:
Wouldn't consider it smug, nor cussing. Meerly agreed with the description.
I would.

Quote:
Shows us that your hardly a delicate flower who would/should be offended by the term.
After I politely declined to his friend, the guy decided, minutes later, to initiate a confrontation with me. So he cussed at me from out of the blue. I was offended.. and yes, I cussed back. Real time, spur of the moment. I did regret it because the lady and her kid were over yonder.

Quote:
You are entitled to your OPINION.
Just remember, that you ASKED for mine!
I originally asked if the posters here always give boosts to strangers. That's it.. asking for experiences. You replied to a post where I ask if boosting a battery might fry my car's electrical. You gave an instructional answer, but then you took it upon yourself to get a might nasty. I thought it was uncalled for. I also thought what the guy at the gas station initiated/yelled was uncalled for. Maybe you don't think it was.

Quote:
It's possible, but something tells me you ether missed the reference to the 'J frame' or don't know what that is!
Yes, it's possible, no matter what you have under your leg. Could be very possible, even if you look like a Marine.

Quote:
Possible. But as I said, since you posted the question I doubt it.
The question was if people here give boosts. Thought it would be an interesting topic (still do). For my part and situation, there's no guilt and no 'doubt' about it, I still wouldn't have given the boost.

Quote:
"Didn't feel like it" vs "Didn't want to mess with it"
Are you REALLY trying to differentiate between the two?!?
Ah yes, I think there is a difference between "not feeling like helping" (your words) and not wanting to "mess" with a certain situation. Ex: If those two guys needed to push their car into the garage, I'd have been glad to help. But after reading Sunprit's, RayinAK's and Irish4evr's posts about what could go awry with auto electronics, I'd pass on battery boosting now more than ever. I wouldn't want to mess with it.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:11 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,861,228 times
Yep, with auto electronics nowaday's I'll do it, but don't like to.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:16 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,130,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty MacButter View Post
I got back to the thread the next day and replied at that time. Anyway, it doesn't matter because I have no problem thanking ALL posters for their input, except someone who is smugly offensive on a message board.
Your opinion... for what it's worth. (Not much to me)

Quote:
I would.
Again, yoru opinion. I think slightly worse of someone with your 'worldview', so I guess we're even!

Quote:
After I politely declined to his friend, the guy decided, minutes later, to initiate a confrontation with me. So he cussed at me from out of the blue. I was offended.. and yes, I cussed back. Real time, spur of the moment. I did regret it because the lady and her kid were over yonder.
Do you often hold people accountable for what other people do?
(Hey,Hitler Killed a lot of people... so I don't like you!)
So what if they were riding together. are you accountable if a co worker steals from the company and you didn't know?

Besides, as I said. Some might believe it accurate.

You could always be the bigger man and walk away. (I guess not)

Quote:
I originally asked if the posters here always give boosts to strangers. That's it.. asking for experiences. You replied to a post where I ask if boosting a battery might fry my car's electrical. You gave an instructional answer, but then you took it upon yourself to get a might nasty. I thought it was uncalled for. I also thought what the guy at the gas station initiated/yelled was uncalled for. Maybe you don't think it was.
HEY, you know what... Your welcome for answering your question!

As I said, IMHO YOU were the 'nasty one' and It WAS totally uncalled for!
Quote:
Yes, it's possible, no matter what you have under your leg. Could be very possible, even if you look like a Marine.
Yep. VERY possible. However, People have tried to put sharp pointy things in me in different parts of the world without success. I might get run over helping a little old lady across the street too!

Quote:
The question was if people here give boosts. Thought it would be an interesting topic (still do). For my part and situation, there's no guilt and no 'doubt' about it,
So you continue to say.
Actions vs words.
Quote:
I still wouldn't have given the boost.
So I see.

Quote:
Ah yes, I think there is a difference between "not feeling like helping" (your words) and not wanting to "mess" with a certain situation.
No

Quote:
Ex: If those two guys needed to push their car into the garage, I'd have been glad to help. But after reading Sunprit's, RayinAK's and Irish4evr's posts about what could go awry with auto electronics, I'd pass on battery boosting now more than ever. I wouldn't want to mess with it.
This is at odds with the rest of what you say.

You give 'their attitude and factors about them' as grounds for not helping other than 'you didn't want to mess with it' and the bit about the car came out later IIRC.

But you'd bend over the car and push, putting yourself into a tactically undefendable and unaware position?????

I doubt it.

And if so, a grave blunder.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:23 PM

532 posts, read 1,177,410 times
Quote:

You could always be the bigger man and walk away.
Says the person who keeps bullet pointing arguments with the OP? Give it a rest and stop derailing the topic!

Old 02-21-2011, 10:58 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,142,829 times
If the guy who asked me for a jump had his car there in the drug store lot I would have not hesitated to give a jump.But hell his car he then says is 3 blocks down the street and he also needs a ride back to it, no way. I may have been born at night BUT NOT LAST NIGHT

Old 02-22-2011, 12:33 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,130,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie2 View Post
Says the person who keeps bullet pointing arguments with the OP? Give it a rest and stop derailing the topic!

Don't wanta.

My first post was constructive according to the OP. IF someone wants to argue with me....

Have at it. We all come here from the discussion. Not discussing would be counterproductive.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:27 AM

532 posts, read 1,177,410 times
But you're grossly derailing the thread. That's not fair to the OP or the rest of the posters who have participated constructively. I was enjoying this thread until you're OT banter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive