Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best vehicle for baby-boomer parents?
Cadillac CTS 3.6L 8 29.63%
Buick Lacrosse CXS 4 14.81%
Lexus LS460 7 25.93%
Ford Taurus SHO 5 18.52%
Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 3 11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 12:42 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,701,216 times

Advertisements

I am taking the rest of the day off to go to a few dealerships with the old man, primarily I think we're going to look at the Buick, Caddy, and Maxima.

Quote:
If there's one huge concern (again), it's the fuel economy ... so in descending order:

Nissan 3.5L V6, 290hp, 19/26
Cadillac 3.6L V6, 306hp, 18/27
Buick 3.6L V6, 280hp, 17/27
Ford 3.5L V6, 365hp, 17/25
Lexus 4.6L V8, 380hp, 16/24

That said, instead of the Maxima, how about an Infiniti G37? 3.7L V6, 328hp, 19/27. If power isn't as important, the G25 offers a 2.5L V6, 218hp, 20/29.
One huge concern for whom? My parents are retired, their current Lexus has about 21,000 miles on it. I think at their age and position in life, fuel economy is the LEAST of their worries.

Quote:
Id say, go out and test drive all five, and probably eliminate a couple on that basis as just not feeling comfortable. Then, assuming those still in the running are more or less equal, choose the cheapest of them .
I'm assuming we will unless something really "wows" the old man. I should mention that this isn't a vehicle for him....it's more of for my mom but she doesn't really get a say. My dad has a new F-150 that he drives as his personal vehicle, the car is more of my mothers...but he picks it out.

Quote:
LOL, compared to the LS460, all the other vehicles will come short, very short

Maybe he should include the LS600h and the Hyundai Equus. If money is no object, put the Europeans in there - S-class, 7-series, A8L/S8, Aston Martin, Maserati Quattroporte, and on a completely different level: Rolls Royce (Drophead), Bentley (get the coupe), and there is also Maybach.
Money is an object to an extent and that extent would be the price of the LS460. My dad has never liked German vehicles partially because HIS dad served in WWII against the Nazis, partially because he's always heard German vehicles have a tendency to break down all the time and cost an unGodly sum of money to fix.

I know it's a strange list but my father is a strange person. He's financially comfortable to where he doesn't view a vehicle as a status symbol, doesn't care about all the technological advancements, and wants something comfortable for his "old, fat ass". He doesn't want a sunroof "why the f*** would they drill a hole in the roof" and doesn't want anything that requires a physics degree to turn on "push button start...what the f*** is wrong with using a damn key, bunch of hippies!"

Should be an interesting day...I may try to push him into a CTS-V....so that I can borrow it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 01:08 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Hearing what kind of guy your dad is...put him in the Buick, lol.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:19 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,744 times
If your dad can afford an optioned out LS460 (around $70k), I'd push him to spend the extra $10k and get a Panamera. A couple of my dad's friends in their 60's have decided the Pana is their last hurrah before they head off into their golden years and taken the plunge without any regrets. It really is a complete sports sedan like no other. And interestingly, according to Consumer Reports, Porsche is the most reliable brand of all the automakers.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:24 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I am taking the rest of the day off to go to a few dealerships with the old man, primarily I think we're going to look at the Buick, Caddy, and Maxima.

One huge concern for whom? My parents are retired, their current Lexus has about 21,000 miles on it. I think at their age and position in life, fuel economy is the LEAST of their worries.

21,000 miles? They don't need a new car their Lexus is still new.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:51 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
The Lexus is the best car on that list, by far. Tell them to shut up and keep driving it.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:13 AM

1,568 posts, read 3,227,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post

I'm assuming we will unless something really "wows" the old man. I should mention that this isn't a vehicle for him....it's more of for my mom but she doesn't really get a say. My dad has a new F-150 that he drives as his personal vehicle, the car is more of my mothers...but he picks it out.

Money is an object to an extent and that extent would be the price of the LS460. My dad has never liked German vehicles partially because HIS dad served in WWII against the Nazis, partially because he's always heard German vehicles have a tendency to break down all the time and cost an unGodly sum of money to fix.

I know it's a strange list but my father is a strange person. He's financially comfortable to where he doesn't view a vehicle as a status symbol, doesn't care about all the technological advancements, and wants something comfortable for his "old, fat ass". He doesn't want a sunroof "why the f*** would they drill a hole in the roof" and doesn't want anything that requires a physics degree to turn on "push button start...what the f*** is wrong with using a damn key, bunch of hippies!"

Should be an interesting day...I may try to push him into a CTS-V....so that I can borrow it .

Your Dad sounds like a 'great American', may God Bless him and his generation. I agree with him 100%. Dump the Lexus!

Definitely deserves the Cadillac DTS and will most likely love the new line of Buick's.

Good luck--can't wait to hear what he ends up with!

Old 02-27-2011, 11:19 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,270,334 times
We just rented a Caddy DTS and I liked it better than the CTS. The more room and the seats were really comfy. Let us know what he gets.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:13 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
The Caddy.....

Old 02-28-2011, 01:25 AM

1,710 posts, read 4,134,615 times
If they can afford a Lexus LS460, they should get it. The best bargain in the Lexus class is the new Hyundai Equus.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:07 AM

553 posts, read 1,545,152 times
Dad's like that are a part of the greatest generation America ever had. Strong, good American values. Push for the Caddy 'cuz it's awesome, but he'd probably love the Buick. My Dad had the exact same taste for pretty much the same reasons, but he wanted an American car. He loves his Buick LeSabre (I know it's different than the LeCrosse) He's 6'4" and it's a huge car that fits him. He brags about his great gas mileage even though it's a V8. It's fully loaded but just enough for him to handle, not overly "techie". Although, he drove it around for a year before he questioned where the battery was stored. And it's not in the engine! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive