Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 04:10 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times

Advertisements

I would trust a dealer more to actually do the various inspections and replace the fluids and parts with factory specification fluids/parts.

I work on my own vehicles and look in the owner's manual for the fluids the factory says to use. Several times there was a grease or fluid which was not available at most auto parts stores. I had to hunt for it. The auto parts stores said to use "anything". My thinking is the vehicle engineers at the factory say to use a certain specification fluid for a reason. I get what they say to use.

So if your vehicle needed a special specification fluid, would Joe the Mechanic down the street find and use that? Or "just anything"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 04:16 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
The biggest problem with these situations is not so much that they charge too much - but they actually do more service than required. The dealers frequently "recommend" services like transmission and brake fluid flushes. Which aren't required. And they bury stuff like "inspect wiper blades." Who pays someone to inspect wiper blades or check tire pressure.

When a dealer gives you a quote - ask for an itemized list of EXACTLY what they propose they do. Compare against the owners manual. I bet the dealer's list is longer.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:29 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,894,623 times
Another reason to lease cars and dump them before 40k miles.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:35 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
The dealer may use the right fluids.
They will charge the most.
They might not even know where all the zerks are.

I've been into a few dealers.
To see if the tec knows anything I do a very simple test.
I say, I want my front drive shaft greased.
99.9%(4 different dealers) say there it is not serviceable even tho there is a sticker saying so and showing them where and what to grease. They shrug their shoulders any say the sticker is on all of the trucks and something must have changed because there is no grease point.

So I bet them. we go under the truck and I point to the grease point on the drive shaft.

It doesn't not matter if I win as I do not let them work on my vehicles unless it is covered under warranty and they can do the simple task, then I go over over there work.

Morel of the story, the dealer may or may not know more than a reputable shop down the road.
they may or may not do good work.
Just because it is the dealer is no guarantee the work will be done correctly.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:59 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,579,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
I have a 2007 Hyundai Sonata and it is about hit 60K miles. I have cancel 2 Hyundai dealers about the 60K mile service and they say it will cost between $550 to $650 plus sparks plugs replacement if needed. To a frugal person like me it seems a bit expensive.

I have actually called 3 independent auto repair places. All place say I need to bring in the car for 30 mins+ (I guess 1-2 hours+ in reality) for an inspection first. Only after they looks they will tell me how much it costs, they have no estimate. Should I actually go in wait for them to check out? Not sure if it will be waste of time?

Or should I just go to dealership and pay up? At least then it will be automatically in the warranty records for the future.

Here is full list from Hyundai on what needs to be done at 60k:

60,000 Mile Factory Severe Conditions Service

• Inspect Air Conditioning Refrigerant
  • Inspect Brake Fluid
  • Inspect Brake Hoses and Lines
  • Inspect Brake Pads, Calipers and Rotors
  • Inspect Driveshafts and Boots
  • Inspect Exhaust Pipe and Muffler
  • Inspect Fuel Lines, Fuel Hoses, and Connections
  • Inspect Power Steering Pump, Belt and Hoses
  • Inspect Rear Brake Drums/Linings,Parking Brake
  • Inspect Steering Gear Box, Linkage & Boots/Lower Arm Ball
  • Joint
  • Inspect Suspension Mounting Bolts
  • Inspect Tire Pressure and Condition
  • Inspect Vacuum Hose
  • Inspect Valve Clearance
  • Inspect Vapor Hose and Fuel Filler Cap
  • Inspect or Replace Climate Control Air Filter/Air Conditioning
  • Filter (for evaporator and blower unit)
  • Replace Air Cleaner Filter
  • Replace Automatic Transaxle Fluid
  • Replace Coolant
  • Replace Drive Belt 2.4L
  • Replace Engine Oil and Filter 2.4L
  • Replace Fuel Tank Air Filter
  • Tire Rotation (note I get this free where I bought my tires)
I having spent 34 yrs. in the auto repair business doing both mechanicle and auto body repair , working on all most all makes bot foreign and American, there is only one word to dicscribe this and any 60,000 service and that word is "RIPOFF!" Take it to any local independant repair shop, rather then that Dealer>

Old 04-29-2012, 08:01 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Car dealers are always much higher then other places to take your car in. They work hard to make you believe that they know your car better then anyone.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:03 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,579,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
I would trust a dealer more to actually do the various inspections and replace the fluids and parts with factory specification fluids/parts.

I work on my own vehicles and look in the owner's manual for the fluids the factory says to use. Several times there was a grease or fluid which was not available at most auto parts stores. I had to hunt for it. The auto parts stores said to use "anything". My thinking is the vehicle engineers at the factory say to use a certain specification fluid for a reason. I get what they say to use.

So if your vehicle needed a special specification fluid, would Joe the Mechanic down the street find and use that? Or "just anything"?
" Most of the JOE the Mechanic's" are just like I was , Tired of seeing people getting ripoffed by the dealers and Opened my own shop. People would really be surprised what goes on at some of those shop's

Old 04-29-2012, 08:20 AM

218 posts, read 501,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Car dealers are always much higher then other places to take your car in. They work hard to make you believe that they know your car better then anyone.
All the major services/repairs I have done have been within 10% of the local shops. I always check to see. I used to have the oil service done at the dealer and they beat the local oil shops.

The only part I will agree with is dealers might recommend more services than what a private shop would.

This is all from experiences with Gunn Auto in San Antonio. Maybe they are better than most.

Sent from the secret mobile dojo

Old 04-29-2012, 09:49 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandR View Post
All the major services/repairs I have done have been within 10% of the local shops. I always check to see. I used to have the oil service done at the dealer and they beat the local oil shops.

The only part I will agree with is dealers might recommend more services than what a private shop would.

This is all from experiences with Gunn Auto in San Antonio. Maybe they are better than most.

I've moved around a lot & I've always found a local treeshade
mechanic, while they might be limited as to what they can do because of not having all the equipment they need. They tend to be more honest & much cheaper then a dealer or an auto service tech would. I had a treeshade mechanic in S.C that I'm going to miss I went to go see him before I let & he charged me $40.00 for brake pads all the way around & an oli change. I bought the pad & what oil I like that way I know whatever pats are getting put on are not the cheap crap. I moved 3 hours away from him. For me it's worth driving back & not having to worry about getting over-charged or ripped off.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:50 AM

218 posts, read 501,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I've moved around a lot & I've always found a local treeshade
mechanic, while they might be limited as to what they can do because of not having all the equipment they need. They tend to be more honest & much cheaper then a dealer or an auto service tech would. I had a treeshade mechanic in S.C that I'm going to miss I went to go see him before I let & he charged me $40.00 for brake pads all the way around & an oli change. I bought the pad & what oil I like that way I know whatever pats are getting put on are not the cheap crap. I moved 3 hours away from him. For me it's worth driving back & not having to worry about getting over-charged or ripped off.
If you find someone you trust and who is honest then I agree. It can be a lot cheaper. I have yet to find someone like that. I have also found myself trying to do more on my own. Sometimes it's fun and sometimes it a pain.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive