Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 10:12 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,190,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
You're trolling, aren't you? Otherwise you really have no clue. Oh well, stinky bait catches the biggest fish.

But if you are serious, a bunch of folks will hand you 6 plugs to be mounted in a traverse mounted V6 and we'll be happy to watch.
This is silly. Of course many cars/vehicles are different and some services can be very different. A better example than yours might be to change the plugs on a 5 year old F150. Nothing too difficult on the three transverse V6s in my family's vehicles.

But that is why choosing a good independent mechanic is important. Not just any mechanic, but a good one. And a good one knows the brand that needs work. But fixing brakes or doing common services isn't radically different between an Audi and a Hyundai.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 10:14 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,190,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
I would trust a dealer more to actually do the various inspections and replace the fluids and parts with factory specification fluids/parts.

I work on my own vehicles and look in the owner's manual for the fluids the factory says to use. Several times there was a grease or fluid which was not available at most auto parts stores. I had to hunt for it. The auto parts stores said to use "anything". My thinking is the vehicle engineers at the factory say to use a certain specification fluid for a reason. I get what they say to use.

So if your vehicle needed a special specification fluid, would Joe the Mechanic down the street find and use that? Or "just anything"?
This is a valid concern. Some vehicles are known to be finicky with some fluids - like Hondas and their transmission fluids. But a good mechanic experienced with Hondas would know that. And a customer has every reason to ask about it.

But with just a few exceptions, I don't trust a dealer's service any more than a good independent.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:26 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,144,294 times
Coming back to the topic of discussion, a 60 K service for my 2006 Camry cost me $205. This was a dealer recommended service, and supposedly involved cleaning of brake calipers and a few other things required for a vehicle being driven in snow and salt ( I am in WI).
The Toyota recommended service was 90 bucks cheaper.

BTW, my car did not require any belt changes or fluid changes (other than oil)

P.S.: The service was done at a Toyota dealer.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:40 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,543,687 times
VW 60K service I think is over a grand now. The Germans are so anal about everything related to the car. They flush and replace the brake fluid, the tranny fluid, the anti-freeze. Replace the plugs, air and cabin filters and do the multi-point inspect.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:08 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,547,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
VW 60K service I think is over a grand now. The Germans are so anal about everything related to the car. They flush and replace the brake fluid, the tranny fluid, the anti-freeze. Replace the plugs, air and cabin filters and do the multi-point inspect.

I thought VW was offering free maintance for the two years. Or did they stop that program?

Old 05-04-2012, 01:25 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,516,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I would hope that on any vehicle you would flush the brake fluid well before 60k miles or 5 years?

ALL fluids on a vehicle wear out and the schedule in the owner's manual reflects that reality. Neglecting the fluids is a way of paying for extensive repairs sooner, rather than later.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:33 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,175,499 times
You got ripped off.
There is no special service for cars that are driven in snow and or salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
Coming back to the topic of discussion, a 60 K service for my 2006 Camry cost me $205. This was a dealer recommended service, and supposedly involved cleaning of brake calipers and a few other things required for a vehicle being driven in snow and salt ( I am in WI).
The Toyota recommended service was 90 bucks cheaper.

P.S.: The service was done at a Toyota dealer.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:51 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,786,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
You're trolling, aren't you? Otherwise you really have no clue. Oh well, stinky bait catches the biggest fish.

But if you are serious, a bunch of folks will hand you 6 plugs to be mounted in a traverse mounted V6 and we'll be happy to watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Nope I just disagree is all.
I believe this is one of the main reasons platinum and iridium and long life spark plugs were developed just so owners of tranverse mounted engines wouldn't have to hassle with the cost of replacing sparkplugs as often, like FWD Cadillac Northstars for instance.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:44 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,865,367 times
God help anyone working on a Northstar or it's equally hideous 4T80 trans.
Yeah, I know they're "not that bad" once you get used to them, but you should never have to get used to something like that.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:56 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,257,246 times
Its silly to pay any one to work on your car. Spend the $300 or so and get the FSM, learn to do it your self. If you can read, and follow directions(with pictures) you can do anything on your car(with the exception of transmission or head work ). The money you spend on the books, will pay for them selfs after one use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive