Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 11:38 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times

Advertisements

was sitting int he parking lot of our Church last weekend. I had never heard of them. The owner was there and told us all about it and about cords generally. These things are amazing. Very advanced for their time, beautiful cars. Anyone know much about them? They appear to be expensive ($150k). Are they difficult to restore if you can find a beater?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 11:56 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,298,006 times
A friend of mine on another forum is a Cord expert:

Alternate Universe TCL..."The Cord Lounge"?

if it's available to be known about Cords, he knows it.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:06 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,704,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
was sitting int he parking lot of our Church last weekend. I had never heard of them. The owner was there and told us all about it and about cords generally. These things are amazing. Very advanced for their time, beautiful cars. Anyone know much about them? They appear to be expensive ($150k). Are they difficult to restore if you can find a beater?
Very expensive to restore and there aren't very many "beater" Cords around as every single one was purchased by a wealthy individual. These aren't vehicles you'll ever find in a barn in Iowa, very few were ever made and even fewer exist today.

$150K is on the lower end of what a nicely restored Cord will bring.

Sent from my iPad

Old 10-05-2011, 01:53 PM

780 posts, read 2,926,671 times
An unrestored Cord in a state of disrepair is a blasphemy in Automotive world. There is no such thing as "a beater" out of a Cord.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:14 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,298,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POS VETT View Post
An unrestored Cord in a state of disrepair is a blasphemy in Automotive world. There is no such thing as "a beater" out of a Cord.

follow my link above for a lot of good pictures and info on both the Cord 810 sereis and the Cord L29 that preceeded it.

http://forums.thecarlounge.com/showt...Was-Just-A-Car-...
http://forums.thecarlounge.com/showt...Cali-Road-Trip

And an 810 turned into a street rod:

And a resto mod version:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqIOKnEE3Z,ppjmUBN5o),GsIw~~_3.JPG (broken link)
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqYOKi!E3jDZ5UIwBN8UVOkMEw~~_3.JPG (broken link)

Old 10-05-2011, 03:00 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,099,641 times
Restoring a "barn found" Cord would be dauntingly expensive. Jay Leno would probably hesitate to take on such a project - and as rich, experienced car guys go, he's about as good as it gets.

I saw a poorly done Cord awhile back, (amongst other issues) the Lycoming engine block had been cracked, probably by freezing, and a cosmetically poor weld was applied over that. To weld an engine block really properly you have to heat the bare block up to about a dull red temperature, then weld it with a nickel rod (arc weld) and then slowly cool. A big charcoal fire outside in a pit can work for this, seems a bit "hillbilly" but like the Fastest Indian guy casting pistons in a hole in the ground, it actually works pretty well. You are not likely to find a good Cord block at the local U-Pick yard. Thus the Corvette engine swap, I would guess.

I have heard that the transmissions are finicky too.

Some of these cars suffered severe neglect and abuse in the 40's when they were just an old car, a big thirsty old car in an age of rationed gas.

Merc, that orange street rod picture for some reason looks to me like a miniature rather than a real car.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:32 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,622,786 times
They do make Cord kit cars, I have seen the kits go for a few thousand.

My grandfather had a original 37 back in the day.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:13 PM

11,556 posts, read 53,199,057 times
I got to do some very minor mechanical/electrical wiring work on a 810 Cord that was getting a full frame-off restoration back in the 1980's ... which had been reasonably well kept and garage stored all it's life in SoCal. Even then, I recall the tab on the resto was over $200,000 ... and that didn't include the cost of buying the car at auction. The car left the shop on an enclosed trailer and probably hasn't seen the light of day since .... the owner had a 30 car garage built below his house where he stored his toys apart from his daily driver garage. I was allowed in once to get a RR suspension working and could only see the outlines of most of the cars under car covers ... other than the RR's (and Bentley's) that were reasonably identifiable, I spotted a Kissell. The rest? I couldn't tell, but they were obviously large bespoke cars of the 30's and 40's. Rumored he had a Doble, but if he did, I didn't see it ... sure would have liked to have peeked at that.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:28 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,141,781 times
As said at one point these were just older cars. To say none sat in a barn or became a beater would be to say that every one should still exist minus ones totaled in a wreck.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:33 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
There is a museum for Auburns, Cords and Deusenbergs (ACD) in Auburn, IN(they designed and manufactured the Auburn car in the town, and possibly the Cords also). They have a huge car auction every year on Labor Day weekend, and a festival and a parade where the only cars are ACDs and the owners dress in period 1920s attire and drive their cars thru town in the parade. They also have an ACD Club with national members. These 3 auto makes were produced around the same time and are all pricey. Here is a link to the ACD Club http://www.acdclub.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive