Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 02:00 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
This is a thread about winter tires, not various configurations of drive wheels, keep it on topic.
Really, do you think those two topics are unrelated? I see them as inextricably interrelated. Like length and width. How could one discuss winter tires in a vacuum unrelated to the drive wheel configurations? I think one would come to an entirely different conclusion about the best winter tires for a FWD, RWD, 4WD, AWD.

Why don't you allow these discussions to take their natural course? No one else seems to mind.

NETWIT: Its your thread. Do you think this info is helpful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 05:33 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Really, do you think those two topics are unrelated? I see them as inextricably interrelated. Like length and width. How could one discuss winter tires in a vacuum unrelated to the drive wheel configurations? I think one would come to an entirely different conclusion about the best winter tires for a FWD, RWD, 4WD, AWD.

Why don't you allow these discussions to take their natural course? No one else seems to mind.

As a general rule this post should be deleted, as moderator action is only discussed privately, but I'll answer you publicly, since others might have interest in the answer as well.

The OP asked specifically about the use of winter tires on a 4WD, whether is was necessary/beneficial or not. Different drive configurations are not relevant considering the OP's initial question.

The thread is not allowed to "take their natural course" as you call it (usually going off topic), because the subject matter it tends to drift into has been discussed at length several times before, and if that was what the OP was asking about, the thread would've been deleted on page one with a message to the OP to use the search function and read through old posts, as their question would've likely been answered already.

So again, the topic is whether or not Winter Tires are needed/beneficial on a car with 4WD (alternately AWD, if that's what the OP actually has), not AWD/4WD vs other drive configurations, nor locking differentials.

If the thread continues to veer off to a topic that has been discussed at length previously it will be closed.

Old 11-24-2011, 06:00 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post

To be honest, all I heard was blahblahblahdifferentialblahblahblizzacksblahdrive . I have no idea what you are talking about beyond gathering that, yes, it is better to have winter tires on a 4WD.

But I appreciate all the answers. Thank you. I am just not so much of a car person as to follow a lot of the conversation.

Last edited by TheViking85; 11-24-2011 at 06:12 PM.. Reason: Edited for proper quote

Old 11-24-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but are winter tires recommended for vehicles that are already 4WD? My Google search came across winter tires being recommended for SUVs, but I found nothing about whether the tires are recommended for 4WDs.

The vehicle I have also has vehicle stability assist, if that makes any difference.
Quote:
To be honest, all I heard was blahblahblahdifferentialblahblahblizzacksblahdrive . I have no idea what you are talking about beyond gathering that, yes, it is better to have winter tires on a 4WD.

But I appreciate all the answers. Thank you. I am just not so much of a car person as to follow a lot of the conversation.
I think the bottom line was that we all think winter tires are good on a 4WD vehicle. I hope that you get what you needed. A couple of us here have 4WD with Bridgestone Blizzaks. And they are really affordable from The Tire Rack.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:26 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times
The bottom line is essentially this: You will never get more traction than what the part in contact with the surface can give, the tire will always be the deciding factor, as such, in winter conditions, a winter tire will always be superior, though not necessarily always needed.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
First of all, with reference to a post elsewhere in this thread, I thought AWD and 4WD were different things? My understanding is that all 4 wheels engage or whatever they do with 4WD. I have a 4WD 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L.

I live in Manitoba, where it gets cold, cold, cold. Generally not much snow - we're too dry for that. At certain times there is of course more snow, and ice on the road.

We've always used all-seasons but it suddenly occurred to me that I've never heard of someone putting winter tires on a 4WD and I was wondering if that was because they aren't necessary because the 4WD solves the problem along with the stability assist, or whether it was because I just haven't heard of it
Quote:
I'm very rural, on a farm with a long, twisty driveway. I have never actually gotten stuck in the winter even on a regular front wheel drive with no winter tires, but missing the curves in our driveway when everything is white with snow is my husband's specialty. I'm curious to see how he will do with the 4WD. The Pilot was actually a gift from my stepson. We haven't had a 4WD before.

I'm south of Winnipeg.
So for you, its clear that winter tires will be a big help. It is surprising that you had not heard of winter tires on 4WD given the rural nature of your area. Maybe everyone there uses AT's and don't change over for winter.

You may think you don't get much snow because a lot of Canada has more, but at 40-50 inches on average, you are above most US cities. So I would say a definite yes to winter tires for you.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:52 AM

23 posts, read 176,611 times
Default This was all I needed

This following video was all the convincing I needed to spend six bills for Blizzak DM-V1's and have peace of mind during harsh Northern winters in Wisconsin (and my actual real-world use of winter tires has further substantiated my choice) :

Winter Tire vs. All-Season - YouTube

All-season tires should really be coined 'Three-Season' tires.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJWVPhan View Post
This following video was all the convincing I needed to spend six bills for Blizzak DM-V1's and have peace of mind during harsh Northern winters in Wisconsin (and my actual real-world use of winter tires has further substantiated my choice) :

This and other threads on this subject here convinced me to re-evaluate Blizzaks. Now I have them on most recent rig, Wrangler Rubicon. I still have studded tires on my Stuttgart Sled (W126 300SEL), and a set of Nokians on another vehicle, but am fully behind Blizzaks.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:10 AM

106,677 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJWVPhan View Post

actually they suck on hot pavement too. perhaps "no season" would be more appropriate.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:11 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,677 times
Quote:
are winter tires recommended for vehicles that are already 4WD?
Only if you plan to drive in snow and icey conditions.

Parts of Canada REQUIRE snows... Quebec first province to make winter tires mandatory - CBC News (also BC mountains, maybe others).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Winter tires are going to give you better performance in winter conditions no matter what car you are driving.if paying the extra bucks for winter tires over all seasons or added safety to a 4X4 why not me and my family are worth it..
Quote:

As jambo said, winter tires accelerate, stop, and turn/handle better in snow and many icy conditions, regardless of the vehicle's drive system. The extra margin can make the difference between a white knuckle drive or comfort, struggling up or DOWN a steep tricky hill, or even an accident. Only you can determine if your situation (terrain, traffic, driving skills, distance and need to travel) warrants the expense and hassle.

I have used 4 snows for decades on all types of drive systems and NEVER regretted it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive