Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 08:06 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
I was just trying to be a wise-cracker, as indicated with a .

But...

Admit it: Sometimes, some obsessive hybrid drivers will operate their cars in a manner that attempts to maximize fuel efficiency, which is perceived by most as slow.

I already know that Al Gore's kid also exceeded 100 MPH in a hybrid. IIRC, he tried it in So. Cal. Therefore, he was not as wise as you.
Al Gore's kid was driving a 110 HP Prius, while I drive a 295 HP s400 hybrid. It's no wimpy car. No speed demon either, but it holds up pretty well among conventional cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 09:41 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,171,657 times
propaganda?
How do you convince folks to buy them
Say they are safe.

Maybe it those controlled crashes in the lab.
But in the real world any car can be just as safe as any other car in a crash.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
propaganda?
How do you convince folks to buy them
Say they are safe.

Maybe it those controlled crashes in the lab.
But in the real world any car can be just as safe as any other car in a crash.

Are you suggesting that the insurance companies are in bed with the car manufacturers?

Old 11-26-2011, 10:07 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Are you suggesting that the insurance companies are in bed with the car manufacturers?
No but they pay money to advertising firms who might construe some oddball remark made by an insurance company, Say something like... "hybrids carry less fuel and have smaller tanks so they create less of a firery death inferno fireball when the gas tank explodes"

They might construe that hybrids are safer....

I am willing to bet tan camrys with tan cloth interiors are some of the safest cars out there if you exclude falling asleep at the wheel results.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:26 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
I read an article about Obama being a woman in drag, that space aliens are infiltrating our Gov'ts and want to destroy human life so they can take over. I've read.....you get the picture. You can read most anything on the internet these days. This is real simple folks, so simple even a high school drop out should get it. Light cars will not fare well in a wreck with a heavy vehicle. Hybrids are light cars to get the mileage.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:49 AM

208 posts, read 330,874 times
Is fire safe.
Government investigates battery fires in Volt, Chevy’s electric car; GM says ‘no undue risk’
Government investigates battery fires in Volt, Chevy’s electric car; GM says ‘no undue risk’ - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/government-investigates-battery-fires-in-volt-chevys-electric-car-gm-says-no-undue-risk/2011/11/26/gIQAThFTyN_story.html - broken link)
Battery fire on GM Volt leads to federal probe
Battery fire on GM Volt leads to federal probe | The Courier-Journal | courier-journal.com

Old 11-26-2011, 12:23 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,171,657 times
no way.

yup. and I believe the bed has one or two others in it.

or In the real world crashes are not controlled in a lab.
In the real world folks go faster hit different things at different angles etc etc. it will far differently in those situations

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post

Old 11-26-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I read an article about Obama being a woman in drag, that space aliens are infiltrating our Gov'ts and want to destroy human life so they can take over. I've read.....you get the picture. You can read most anything on the internet these days. This is real simple folks, so simple even a high school drop out should get it. Light cars will not fare well in a wreck with a heavy vehicle. Hybrids are light cars to get the mileage.
You A) didn't read the study; B) Know nothing about cars (or at least hybrid cars).

Don't pretend.

Hybrids are heavier than their conventional counterparts.

Last edited by NJBest; 11-26-2011 at 01:31 PM..

Old 11-26-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberguy1950 View Post
Is fire safe.
Government investigates battery fires in Volt, Chevy’s electric car; GM says ‘no undue risk’
Government investigates battery fires in Volt, Chevy’s electric car; GM says ‘no undue risk’ - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/government-investigates-battery-fires-in-volt-chevys-electric-car-gm-says-no-undue-risk/2011/11/26/gIQAThFTyN_story.html - broken link)
Battery fire on GM Volt leads to federal probe
Battery fire on GM Volt leads to federal probe | The Courier-Journal | courier-journal.com
That's only one Hybrid.

Your use of induction can also imply that all conventional cars will kill you because their brakes will fail, citing Toyota Camry as an example.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
No but they pay money to advertising firms who might construe some oddball remark made by an insurance company, Say something like... "hybrids carry less fuel and have smaller tanks so they create less of a firery death inferno fireball when the gas tank explodes"

They might construe that hybrids are safer....

I am willing to bet tan camrys with tan cloth interiors are some of the safest cars out there if you exclude falling asleep at the wheel results.
I know you were being hypothetical, but just pointing out that Hybrids don't carry less fuel than their conventional counterparts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
no way.

yup. and I believe the bed has one or two others in it.

or In the real world crashes are not controlled in a lab.
In the real world folks go faster hit different things at different angles etc etc. it will far differently in those situations
I would have thought that Insurance Companies would have interest in minimizing their exposure. So it makes sense for them to do two things. Recommend cheaper cars, and recommend cars that keep passengers safer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive