Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2011, 09:46 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times

Advertisements

I have read some pathetic articles here on C-D but the one posted by the OP has to take the top award for 2011.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 09:47 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,675,210 times
Well, now, It seems to me that the only way to stop law enforcement personnel from abusing their office is to expose them to the public, and make them stop.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:47 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
When I don't see these things, I will rise up in arms, as everyone should.
Can you please give us more detail on this? How exactly will you "rise up in arms"?

Old 12-30-2011, 09:53 AM

1,459 posts, read 3,297,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Okay, then let's analyze your logic (for lack of a better term). You think that some speed limits are inappropriate and wrong. Despite the fact that you can potentially hurt someone else, you believe your OPINION of the situation has a greater standing than the ESTABLISHED RULES OF THE ROAD. In other words, since you don't like the law you don't think you should have to follow it, even though by breaking the law, your actions could hurt someone else.

Now bear in mind, how you feel about some speed limits is your OPINION. I cannot stress that enough.

Now let's say that I believe laws against assaulting stupid people are inappropriate and choose to ignore them. By ignoring them I could potentially hurt someone else, and for sake of discussion, let's say that person is you. Now what? Yeah, there are laws against assaulting people, but I think for stupid people those laws are inappropriate so I'm just going to ignore them, even though I could hurt someone by doing so.

See why we are country that values the rule of law and not the rule of "what I feel like doing?"
You can potentially hurt someone doing 10mph under the speed limit too.

From the OP I got that the cops will often lie (which they do and I have offered examples of this) and give out tickets when not warranted. Saying that you could hurt someone by not following the speed limit is as stupid as saying running in the hallway is dangerous. Now reckless driving is another story and it involves more than just going over the posted limit.

And try telling pot smokers that we are a country that values the rule of law, and not the rule of what I feel like doing.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:55 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
The last I checked traffic laws apply to everyone and race isn't an issue. Can you give an example of how a traffic law is signalling out a specific race or group of people?
Traffic laws single out whiners who are never at fault for traffic violations.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:15 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
The 85% is only ONE aspect they look at when determining speed limits for a section of roadway. There are other factors that will change that away from what the majority are driving (and generally do lower it.) this is also a State that you WILL get a ticket for "too fast for conditions" in a heartbeat.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:24 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Can you please give us more detail on this? How exactly will you "rise up in arms"?
He will sit behind his keyboard and smite them down with well chosen words and his own ideas through internet postings! He shall arise out of his Momma's basement and unlatch from the breast of anonymity provided by the internet... oh wait, that might be pushing it a little. Better to stay hidden in the basement behind that anonymity and just post thread after thread of how much he hates cops and all they stand for on C-D.

Oh yeah, and Soviet before you go off on the lame "stay on topic" BS you have been spewing so far in this thread. I HAVE had it happen to me, but with a cop in his car turning his spotlight on in my face coming up to a stop. What did I do? I stopped where I was supposed to because I was paying attention to begin with, then drove to the police station to ask the desk Sargent WTF was wrong with the officer. I got an apology, he later got fired. Case closed. Unless the Officer was standing directly in their lane, a flashlight turned on from the side shouldn't make that big of an impact on a persons vision and where they are in relation to their lane or the stop sign.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:23 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post
You can potentially hurt someone doing 10mph under the speed limit too.
True enough, but going 10 under is not against the law. You can "what if" the situation until you are blue in the face. I can hurt someone by pushing a shopping cart through the grocery store! At some point you have to draw the line in the sand, and that's exactly what a speed limit is.

Quote:
From the OP I got that the cops will often lie (which they do and I have offered examples of this) and give out tickets when not warranted.
For every "bad cop" story out there there are probably dozens of stories out there in which police officers are doing the right thing. Even the OP acknowledges this. It's too bad that some choose to zero in on the exceptions and treat them like they are the norm.

Quote:
Saying that you could hurt someone by not following the speed limit is as stupid as saying running in the hallway is dangerous. Now reckless driving is another story and it involves more than just going over the posted limit.
No, saying that you will not follow some laws because you deem them "inappropriate" is stupid.

Quote:
And try telling pot smokers that we are a country that values the rule of law, and not the rule of what I feel like doing.
Irrelevant. The pot-smokers don't matter, nor does it change that we are a country that values the rule of law. Just because pot smokers value the rule of "what they feel like doing" doesn't make it the norm. Nice try, though.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
True enough, but going 10 under is not against the law. You can "what if" the situation until you are blue in the face. I can hurt someone by pushing a shopping cart through the grocery store! At some point you have to draw the line in the sand, and that's exactly what a speed limit is.

For every "bad cop" story out there there are probably dozens of stories out there in which police officers are doing the right thing. Even the OP acknowledges this. It's too bad that some choose to zero in on the exceptions and treat them like they are the norm.

No, saying that you will not follow some laws because you deem them "inappropriate" is stupid.

Irrelevant. The pot-smokers don't matter, nor does it change that we are a country that values the rule of law. Just because pot smokers value the rule of "what they feel like doing" doesn't make it the norm. Nice try, though.

going more than 10 under is against the law in some states

Old 12-30-2011, 12:27 PM

and I am not saying that all cops are liars and that all cops have ulterior motives for giving out tickets.....just the ones in revenue generating areas. Like I said, most cops that are not burdened by this requirement to issue a certain amount of tickets (although the word "quota" is never used) won't give out tickets unless the driver is being reckless. Going 10 over on the highway is hardly reckless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive