Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 10:09 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,411,818 times

Advertisements

I think that seat covers would impact the heated seats, isolating you from the heating element. I am not sure if that car has airbag sensors/airbags in the seat, but that is a consideration as well with a seat cover. If you want to change the upholstery, you should have it properly reupholstered, but if the seats are in good condition, I would look more to changing the carpeting, as you can upgrade it for better sound deadening and appearance. You might not need to get Roller-spec Wilton wool carpeting, but there are upgrades in carpeting and mats that would dress up the appearance.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 10:27 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,637,590 times
How much would it cost to reupholster? I would want soft black leather. Everything is in good condition, but I wanted this from the beginning and figured I am getting the car much cheaper than I should so will just pay later to get it done. It does have airbag sensors in the seat.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:15 PM

373 posts, read 710,833 times
A friend had his 66 stang redone on the inside and it cost about 1500 and he didnt use leather. You could well have to spend 2 or 3 BIG ONES on leather for a car that is bigger than a stang.....You will for sure increase the value of it by 3 or 4 hundred....

Old 01-20-2012, 12:23 PM

I probably won't increase it by anything, I already have leather there, just not the one I want.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:46 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,619,009 times
[quote=OleSchoolFool;22624832]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post

You are talking about old cars, mine is 2007. I don't see how that's an issue if it was an old car though. Some people like custom old cars. (64 impala)

Ok fine, jack a bunch of dough into a low value car.......you will NEVER get it back when you sell it.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:29 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,411,818 times
It depends upon the leather quality as to cost. If you want higher level leather trim, whether you want it smooth, or gathered, perforated, two-tone, two-texture (leather/suede), whether or not the seat heaters need to be replaced, and if you want to add anything like seat massager, etc. I would think the materials would be at least $1500, and then installation, but it's hard to say without talking to an auto upholsterer about what you want as it is possible to spend $10k on a leather interior, trim panels, door inserts, etc. And, then if the leather looks good, you may want to upgrade the carpet, etc. I'd figure $3k or so.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-21-2012, 04:05 PM

From my research 3k seems to be on point. I bought this car about 7k below it's kbb value anyway and with no sales tax so I might just get it done.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:15 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,451,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
You laugh at every modified/customized car?
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course not. I have built numerous highly-modified cars. (very highly modified show-winners).

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.... My opinion is if you take a $500 Honda Civic (bondo still in place), put $2000 wheels on it, a fart can (just learned that term from another thread), cut the coil springs so that the car is 2" off the ground, put in a $5k stereo.... it is humorous. (Some people think Jim Carrey is funny, some think Ron White is funny, some think neither are funny). The only reason I mention that car style, is, after growing up in a town near Lawrence, MA, that was the style of choice.

A really good modified/customized car tends to (not always) be really expensive.

To answer the title of the post... It is only worth it if you enjoy it, and don't expect virtually any return on the investment.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:05 PM

"A really good modified/customized car tends to (not always) be really expensive. "

That's true, but I won't have the money to buy the really expensive car for years, if ever. And even if I will have that kinda money eventually, I wouldn't blow it on a car anyway, I'd rather put a down payment towards buying some real estate. Basically, it's either this or nothing. When I asked at the beginning, if I should save more and buy a real luxury car, I did not mean that I would get a real expensive one. I was thinking no more than 20k, but I am not really gonna get a better car for that amount (even though I'd be buying used) than the one I have already, unless it has crazy miles on it or old and rusty, and I don't need that. I am not gonna spend more than that. I love great cars, but I don't love them that much.

Last edited by OleSchoolFool; 01-23-2012 at 01:19 PM..

Old 01-23-2012, 02:30 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,299,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928;22671623Of course not. I have built numerous highly-modified cars. (very highly modified show-winners).

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.... My opinion is if you take a $500 Honda Civic (bondo still in place), put $2000 wheels on it, a fart can (just learned that term from another thread), cut the coil springs so that the car is 2" off the ground, put in a $5k stereo.... it is humorous. (Some people think Jim Carrey is funny, some think Ron White is funny, some think neither are funny). The only reason I mention that car style, is, after growing up in a town near Lawrence, MA, that was the style of choice.

A really good modified/customized car tends to (not always) be [I
really[/i] expensive.

Your last really hits the point, They don't HAVE to be expensive. What if thqat Civic in your example ran great and had no bondo or rust? What if the guy that owned it simply liked it and wanted to enjoy it?

I'd rather see that then another boring beigemobile owned by someone who barely knows where to put gas in their car much less anything else about cars. Making the hobby a place where you have to have money to enjoy it or you're laughed at is a hateful thing. Sounds to me like you're being an elitist snob (high end or nothing, baby!), and I hope that's not the case.

I've built for myself and for customers hundreds of low end customs, with often just little things customized for more personalization and enjoyment. A car or truck like these two I built might only have $1000-1500 into the customization:

[imghttp://home.comcast.net/~cvetters3/datsun01.jpg[/img]

It's no different than putting money into any other hobby: it's for the fun of it and the enjoyment, not necessarily for a high ROI (though both the vehicles pictured made me money)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive