Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 09:43 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,101,085 times

Advertisements

It was heartening to read the responses after the Times story. Younger people have no desire to sink money into a car that's made of Reynolds Wrap anymore; among a myriad of other good reasons given.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 01:29 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
The Detroit 3 have indeed taken awhile to get around to mounting a serious challenge to the Prius, but better late than never I guess, although since those cars have never had more than a 2%-3% share of the market over the past decade, perhaps it's just as well.

The soaring unemployment rate for workers under 25 under this administration hasn't helped either.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:02 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
As Young Lose Interest in Cars, G.M. Turns to MTV for Help

Wrong place to turn for help G.M. (as usual) ....

Many good points on this forum.

Of what value / necessity is a car these days??? Culture has shifted gears, GM might want to consider that!! (for free, no MTV consultants needed )

So many (better) choices for the capital expense and head-ache of a NEW GM car
Who wants a new GM car? (nobody I know)
Many Cars are more expensive than some houses!!! (and kids aren't as keen on living in their cars these days, as VW & Chev vans in the 60's)
Gas costs / month is more than Food (and FOOD is important, even COFFEE is more important than cars to GM's target market)
Kids no longer tinker in garage (Many kids don't even have or care to have a garage much less; GREASY FINGERS!, or a parent who can mentor them in the fine art of auto repair)
Cars are no fun to work on anymore How exciting is it to pay $300 and replace a 'chip' (Compared to Crane Cams, Hooker Headers, Edelbrock Tunnel Ram, Holley Double Pumpers...)
Cars make less of a "statement", especially NOISE (current performance cars sound more like a sick vacuum cleaner, than a heart pounding, throaty roar)

If you absolutely MUST have a car (which would be RARE)... there are MANY better (& other) choices than a NEW GM. I bought one NEW vehicle when I was age 17 and very stupid. It was a GM and it was Garbage.

I currently drive a 35 yr old car that gets 50 mpg on free fryer grease, and it cost me $Thirty Five Bucks !!, yip, the WHOLE car complete with tires and wheels (aluminum)... $35.00. insurance is CHEAP, as are parts (rarely needed), Tires ($5 at junk yard), and it suits my needs fine!! (as It would yours).

I 'kissed the ground' the day the buyer drove off in my 10 yr old GM vehicle with 35,000 very troublesome miles.

As Usual... YMMV....

Old 04-02-2012, 07:54 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
^^You always mention your car. What type is it? What do you mean about fryer grease?

Honda Civic HF?

As for the OP post. I agree with stan4? regarding few new cars are both affordable and make a statement. Note the 18-24 age group mentioned in the article and their income levels less student loan debt + rent will not really allow for new car buying unless it is an econobox. One could afford a pre-owned upgraded vehicle in the used private seller market. Presumably those sellers then go and purchase new from the auto makers.

Last edited by Felix C; 04-02-2012 at 08:19 AM..

Old 04-02-2012, 09:04 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Default marketing executives trying to figure out why

These "marketing executives" need to take a big pay cut if they're having a hard time figuring this out. Young folks face an incredibly lousy employment market these days. Jobs are few and those that are available are paying peanuts. Meanwhile, the price of autos of all types has skyrocketed in recent years.

Heck, I myself have not purchased a new vehicle in 26 years. The last two I bought have been used, a model year old but far below the cost of new.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:21 PM

662 posts, read 1,228,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotQuiteNative View Post
No, actually I'd like to look forward to America resembling the suburban midwest in the late '60's, where scrappy kids raised by union-member dads of intact families got highschool degrees and started working at the transmission plant making the equivalent of $25/Hr. They bought new Pontiacs off the showroom floor and soon got married, moving into small 3-bedroom starter homes, bowling and drinking beer on Friday nights. They would all smoke Camels and eat Miracle Whip.

That's my fantasy for the future. It's also totally nutso.
It is nutso, since the only reason the 50s and 60s happened was because WWII killed off pretty much every other country's production capability. We were the only game in town. Plus, we had the massive baby boom to drive demand. I would rather not have the country go through that again. WWII was ugly and the spawn of the baby boom (Baby Boomers) were worse.

Quote:
The America of the future looks like the UK of today: A welfare state supported by massive taxes on the wealthiest sliver of society, where whatever remains of the middle class tends to work for the government.
Which sucks, and we're also becoming the police state that Britain already is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
^^You always mention your car. What type is it? What do you mean about fryer grease?

Honda Civic HF?
No, I'd bet it's a diesel 1st-generation VW Rabbit. Those late-70s/early 80s 50 hp wheezing rust bombs commonly came with a diesel engine and for some reason are the preferred car to make into a waste vegetable oil vehicle. Probably because unlike used diesel pickup trucks, you can buy Rabbits for $30 like the OP did. At that price, they literally ARE disposable if it breaks or if you set it on fire with your cobbled-together fryer fat handling mechanism. Also, his username kind of gave it away (StealthRabbit.)

Old 04-03-2012, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyover_Country View Post
No, I'd bet it's a diesel 1st-generation VW Rabbit. Those late-70s/early 80s 50 hp wheezing rust bombs commonly came with a diesel engine and for some reason are the preferred car to make into a waste vegetable oil vehicle. Probably because unlike used diesel pickup trucks, you can buy Rabbits for $30 like the OP did. At that price, they literally ARE disposable if it breaks or if you set it on fire with your cobbled-together fryer fat handling mechanism. Also, his username kind of gave it away (StealthRabbit.)
Thanks. I think the appropriate username should be StealthDeathTrap in that case considering how antiquated that vehicle is in terms of handling, braking, collision survivability compared to a modern vehicle.

Reminds me of that homeless clothing line plugged in Zoolander....Derelicte. The trash look for those who can.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:06 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
It was heartening to read the responses after the Times story. Younger people have no desire to sink money into a car that's made of Reynolds Wrap anymore; among a myriad of other good reasons given.
That's a good one, Zen. lol

Old 04-03-2012, 09:45 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Thanks. I think the appropriate username should be StealthDeathTrap in that case considering how antiquated that vehicle is in terms of handling, braking, collision survivability compared to a modern vehicle.
If a car is still on the road 30 years later, it hasnt' been much of a death trap, now has it?

One of the stupidest arguments against an older car I can think of. Seriously. I like new cars. I own a new car. But I can still see myself driving an older car even in modern traffic, like my MGB or my old Fiat 124 Spider. Or a '70s/80s VW.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:51 AM

I think you omitted the reference to the vehicle being jury rigged for that fuel and the fire hazard old man. I do not think DeathRabbit posts inspire any confidence if you view #43 above. I am sure you use $5 junkyard tires as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive