Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2012, 01:36 PM

14,517 posts, read 20,746,978 times

Advertisements

I already have a question about my power window, and some of those who commented referred to non electrical issues as a possibility

I now have evidence of electrical problems, so maybe some of you are good at automotive electrical and this question is electrical in nature.

Yesterday, I wiggled the wiring that extends between the door frame and frame of the car. I inspected a metal rod that appears to raise and lower the window. Nothing was observed. I cut a piece of heavy plastic to put over the window in case of rain.

What happened today is a mystery.
I unlocked the front door, got into the car and closed the door. When I inserted my "key" into the ignition, I hear a loud noise.
What the ----?
It was the rear window motor.
I pulled the key out of the ignition and the noise did not stop. I opened the driver door and the noise stopped.
I closed the door and inserted the key and the noise began again.
I tried to start the car and my battery is not charged enough to start the car, but it must have enough juice left, to power the window motor.

So, it looked like, the noise from the motor was not going to stop with the door closed. I unplugged the window motor. Then I got back in the car and left the driver side door open. Key out of the ignition. I then plugged the motor back in and no noise. I closed the front door and put the key in the ignition and the window motor runs. Pull the key out, and it runs, until I open the driver door.

So, I have unplugged the window motor.
This noise is not the same click, click, I got when I used the power window switch to try to raise or lower the window.

The noise today is clearly the motor running, not some clicking.

So, would the clicking be from the regulator?

And how to explain the left front door and ignition key being able to run the window motor?

It must have run the battery down, over night.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 07:04 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,315,965 times
Is there a switch in the door to activate the rear window?

If yes, sounds like a short in the wiring going from the door to the body of the car - the wiring you fiddled with.

Be sure none of those wires are contacting sharp metal objects.

Opening and closing the door would move the wires and cause the short to come and go.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post

If yes, sounds like a short in the wiring going from the door to the body of the car - the wiring you fiddled with.

Opening and closing the door would move the wires and cause the short to come and go.
The left rear window has a control switch on the driver side arm rest.
It also has a control switch on the left arm rest for the left rear passenger.
Before yesterday, engaging these switches got nothing, but faint clicks around the left rear window that was in the down position.

There is a rubber protective cover around the wires that run from the frame of the car into the left rear door. I've jiggled all the wiring and no results.
I'll have to remove all of the protective covers on all the wires and see if there are any wires touching, etc.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post

The problem turned out to be the rear left window switch. It lowers the window but would not raise the window. $8.00 part at the U-Pull-It yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive