Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 09:28 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,535,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
I 2nd the Solara. Can get a mid 2000's for 10k. Some do not look bad, they are based on the Camry model.

I would love to have a T-Tops Firebird from the 80s myself.
I would go older and get one with the bird on the hood from the very late 1970's. Kind of like the one in Smokey and the Bandit. I am 40 so I have very fond memories of the the late 1970's firebirds.

My wife would drive it at least half of the time so I have to consider what she would drive. She loves BMWs so that is will be on the list even thought it isn't the most practical car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 09:33 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
My screen name is mustang eater and I have owned 5 f-bodies. I would not get a 93-97 camaro(lt1) . I would go directly to 98-02 with an ls1. Lt1s were nice but can be finicky, and price shows they go for like $2-5k.

I have a 1995 Z28 (T-Top, not convertable). I have not had much significant trouble with it (biggest issue was replacing the fuel pump was a PIA), except it seems to have a problem with the clutch right now. the LS-1had some common problem that I cannot recall right now. The later Camaros (i.e. post 1996) also have those awful slanty toyota looking headlights.

I have been offered $6500 for the Camaro, so I assume an otherwise equal convertable would be around $10K.

$2K - $5K must be for the RS. I would not bother with one of those. I should have said I was referring to a Z-28.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:47 AM

880 posts, read 2,025,790 times
300 Z Nissan

Old 06-15-2012, 11:06 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,411,818 times
If you would be fine with a roadster, I would look at at BMW Z3. If you want a back seat, the e46 BMW convertible, Volvo C70, and Mercedes CLK would be on a list to check out as they all have deployable rollover protection, but the e46 is very solid and it would be difficult to get it to roll on pavement. The Z3 has fixed rollover bars behind the seats. The BMWs are more driver-oriented than the FWD Volvo and the Mercedes.

The e46 was made to the 2005 model year, and later examples were not bad in terms of reliability, but maintenance is typical BMW pricing. Earlier examples are not bad, though there were some air conditioning problems with the early series, and the AWDs were finicky, but the AWD does not apply to the convertible.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-15-2012, 12:13 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,711,708 times
I picked up an Audi TT roadster at a steal not too far back. It needed some minor work and the timing belt had to be done, but I bought it for well under $10k. You can find older well maintained examples pretty easily in the $10k range.

If you need four seats, convertible and somewhat fun, then I think the only real choice a the Mustang. There are tons to choose from and they are extremely reliable and cheap to fix. It would be a near perfect fun summer/weekend car that you can buy cheap and keep for a good amount of time with basic maintenance. It also wouldn't be unheard of to find a GT at your price point either if you want a little older.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:54 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,190,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
If a convertable is what you want, your best bet at that price range is the Chrysler Sebring. Due to poor resale value, you could get a fairly new model at that price. If you're not worried about gas prices, go with the V6 because the 4 cylinder is slow, buzzy noise, and not that efficient unless driven carefully. It has the added advantage of seating four. Even in V6 it's not a fast car. It's more of a cruiser.
A Chrysler Sebring is simply a horrible car. The one and only good thing about a Sebring convertible is that it is a convertible. It is mechanically terrible and the interior is cheap cheap cheap. It is not fun to drive.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:19 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,190,673 times
For a $10K "fun car" I would start my search with Miatas. Reliable, VERY fun to drive on a twisty road, top up or down. Tons of parts and accessories if you want them.

A Mustang is another good choice. Common, but that means lots of them are available and it is easy to maintain.

There are many other $10K fun cars, but some of them, especially German ones, may test your patience and wallet for maintenance.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:12 PM

16,674 posts, read 17,444,965 times
Just to suggest something a bit different, what about a Saab convertible?

Reasonable space in the back for two kids, a bit quirky.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:35 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,898,855 times
I vote for a 1997+ Jeep Wrangler with a V6.

While they are slow, noisy at highway speeds, and rough driving, there is nothing like driving a Jeep with the top down and doors off in the summer!

Old 06-15-2012, 05:03 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,257,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
For a $10K "fun car" I would start my search with Miatas. Reliable, VERY fun to drive on a twisty road, top up or down. Tons of parts and accessories if you want them.

A Mustang is another good choice. Common, but that means lots of them are available and it is easy to maintain.

There are many other $10K fun cars, but some of them, especially German ones, may test your patience and wallet for maintenance.
Thats what I am looking for. 10k will get you a good example of one. They arnt the fastest thing on the road, actually they are painfully slow, but they handle better then just about anything else out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive