Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 08:17 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times

Advertisements

I disagree. At least around Dallas a wide range of people drive Mustangs and Camaros. Mustangs are almost a chick car, with so many women from 20 years old to 60 years old driving them. The Challengers are definitely closer to 40-50 year old. The corvette is the ultimate 60 year old guy car with a bunch of Sunday drivers.

I would also disagree that Nissan or Toyota make exciting cars. The Nissan 370z is decent, but nothing overly great looking about it. Toyota has been bland for awhile now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 10:50 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,471,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
My older brother (60 years old) bought his wife a Mustang convertible. Really cool car IMO, but the young people don't give it a second look. I've driven in it quite a few times. My wife's '09 VW Jetta get's way more looks.
I don't know about that... When I was working the other night, I saw 2 younger guys (looked like mid to late twenties) driving a brand new, 2013 Mustang convertible. It wasn't the GT, but still a very nice looking car, and it obviously appealed to these younger guys or they wouldn't be driving it.

No offense, but I find it a little hard to believe that your wife's '09 Jetta would be turning heads. I've never found Jettas very exciting to look at (they're just a German Corolla, IMO); the latest gen Jetta has to be one of the most bland cars on the road today.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:14 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
I don't know about that... When I was working the other night, I saw 2 younger guys (looked like mid to late twenties) driving a brand new, 2013 Mustang convertible. It wasn't the GT, but still a very nice looking car, and it obviously appealed to these younger guys or they wouldn't be driving it.

we recently got rid of our s2000 (which really got the nods from the tuner kids lol) for a newer mustang convertible. Not the GT, as we werent looking for all our performance but rather just a nice fun cruiser with a backseat. And as we were sitting in a parking lot, someone walked over to take some pix, then walked back to his 'stang....
i'm 50, grew up with muscle, and can enjoy and appreciate all types of cars. At least for my wife and I, our age has nothing to do with what we want to drive.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:44 AM

556 posts, read 1,228,244 times
Sure younger people working at a gas station or grocery store can't afford new muscle cars...

But with a decent job it's not too far off.

I bought my 05 GTO a month after I turned 22, and this was 6 years ago, before they were worth $12k lol

Old 07-25-2012, 02:13 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post

No offense, but I find it a little hard to believe that your wife's '09 Jetta would be turning heads. I've never found Jettas very exciting to look at (they're just a German Corolla, IMO); the latest gen Jetta has to be one of the most bland cars on the road today.
How old are you? My 26 year old daughter bought a new Jetta Wolfsburg 2.0 Turbo. I'm 50 and grew up loving American Muscle cars but I would take that car over a Mustang (unless it was the 40K + Shelby).

The kids definitely prefer VW's to American retro cars.

The only thing missing from the American Retro cars are a shelf for the 10 boxes of kleenix and hats that the old duffers like to line up in the rear window

Old 07-26-2012, 05:28 PM

40 posts, read 57,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
What cool cars do Nissan and Toyota build that young people want? The Supra is dead and gone and the base 370Z is quite a bit more spendy than the Camaro/Challenger/Mustang. Unless you're a female and want one of the "cute" subcompacts, I don't really see what vehicles you're talking about. In my experience, aspiring young people want German automobiles rather than anything made by the Japanese. Back in the 60's all the young guys wanted a Corvette/Mustang/GTO/Camaro/etc but nowadays most of them yearn for a BMW or Audi.

Nissan stopped selling affordable cool cars in the early 80s when the original 280Z went away. The original Mazda RX7 was fun and affordable. The more recent RX8 was way overpriced. Toyota does not sell anything cool.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:34 PM

40 posts, read 57,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
All depends on your line of thinking, todays V6 retros have more HP & torque than the V8's had back in the day, but you need a V8 to get that muscle car rumble
A new Mustang with a V6 has what, 300 horsepower. A mid-70s to early 80s Mustang with a 302 V8 made a whopping 140 horsepower.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:13 AM

457 posts, read 889,579 times
Guess I fall into the "old fart" category then, lol. I'm 34, female, and own my second Mustang. First was the 2010 GT, and now I have the 2012 GT.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
How old are you? My 26 year old daughter bought a new Jetta Wolfsburg 2.0 Turbo. I'm 50 and grew up loving American Muscle cars but I would take that car over a Mustang (unless it was the 40K + Shelby).

The kids definitely prefer VW's to American retro cars.
As I stated back on page 2 of this thread (see post #14), I'm 2 years older than you.

I went to the VW USA website to look at the Jetta Wolfsburg, but it is not listed there for some reason. But generally Wolfsburg editions of VW cars have some trim modifications, fancier wheels and usually some Wolfsburg badging on the exterior (my younger brother once had a VW Scirocco Wolfsburg edition). The Jetta Wolfsburg is a dressed up version of the Jetta S, which IMO is one of the most boring sedans on the road today. I'm in my early 50s and would not want to drive a Jetta. There is absolutely nothing that appeals to me about that car. The front end in particular is incredibly bland, as it basically the entire car. The exterior design shows absolutely no imagination. It just doesn't have any nice lines on it. About the only thing that I could find interesting on that car are the taillights: when they are on, they look somewhat like those on the Audi A4. I thought that the Corolla was the most boring car on the road until VW came out with this new Jetta.

I really can't imagine why any 20-something would be attracted to this car. If I were in my 20s, I could certainly think of more exciting-looking cars to buy than a Jetta: a Mitsubishi Eclipse, Mitsubishi Lancer (especially the EVo version) Honda Accord coupe, Ford Mustang, Chevy Camaro, Hyundai Elantra, Hyundai Genesis coupe, Scion tC, Scion FR-S, Subaru WRX/STI, Subaru BRZ... just to name a few. From a design standpoint, any of these cars are much more exciting to look at than the VW Jetta.

In case you're thinking of telling me that your daughter chose that car because it's German-made and is more reliable than the other cars I mentioned, it really isn't. Consumer Reports 2012 annual auto issue rated the new Jetta as only average for reliablility. It also received an average rating for customer satisfaction. Here is an excerpt of what Consumer Reports had to say about the new Jetta:
The Jetta sedan has a spacious rear seat and trunk, but handling lacks agility and interior fit and finish is low-rent in most versions.... First year reliability of the diesel version is below average; the five-cylinder is average but scores too low to recommend.

I hope your daughter is happy with her choice of car.

Last edited by manyroads; 07-27-2012 at 10:26 AM..

Old 07-27-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat123 View Post
Nissan stopped selling affordable cool cars in the early 80s when the original 280Z went away. The original Mazda RX7 was fun and affordable. The more recent RX8 was way overpriced. Toyota does not sell anything cool.
Yeah, maybe there really isn't anything "cool" under the Toyota name itself, but you do realize that Scion is a division of Toyota, right? Scion was created specifically to design and sell cars oriented toward younger buyers. Just from what I see on the road around where I live, it has been very successful in selling the tC and xB to younger buyers, and I think it will be very successful with its new FR-S coupe for those looking for something with style and performance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive