Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 09:14 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,424,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Based on everything I have read you say on this thread, I don't think you are in touch with young people and I am beginning to doubt you know any young people.

Young people are the only ones I know who routinely drive the cars we're talking about in this thread and I have never once in my car loving life ever heard anyone drool or look at a Jetta. Let alone a young person. I mean, for real?
I think when the OP turned 50 he realized he was no longer cool (if he ever was) and decided to go for what he sees as suitable "old folks cars".
Lots of us old farts know we are no longer cool (if we ever were) but decided to keep driving cool cars because even though we may be old and gray (if we're lucky) we still know what a cool car is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 09:58 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,863,121 times
I see all ages driving the modern retro cars: from teens to well past middle age males.(Rarely see an older female in the new gen Mustang, Camaro, Challenger) Actually more younger appearing drivers, 25-38, in the high performance models than older drivers. I do not attend car shows so perhaps the demographics will be skewed at those events.

These past few years have been blessing after having lived through the period when 180hp was considered competitive.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:01 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,162,445 times
On a side note I’ll never get why old people get riled up about classic muscle cars. Sure they were cool, but the brakes, suspension and interior ergonomics/quality on a lot of them were total crap.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:43 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,323,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Based on everything I have never once in my car loving life ever heard anyone drool or look at a Jetta. Let alone a young person. I mean, for real?
Custom ones, yes. I'm on the VW Vortex forums and custom Jettas are quite common among young people. Hell, I even had one when I was younger.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cust...w=1372&bih=658

And here's mine from back in the early '90s:

Old 08-06-2012, 07:02 AM

556 posts, read 1,229,586 times
^ Terrible, I hope the hellaflush crap dies soon.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:50 AM

Whether you like the style or not, young people do seem to like VWs, and the style refutes his statement that they don't.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:41 AM

457 posts, read 891,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Heh, my boys are teenagers, I might need ya to send me a blood sample so I can clone a future daughter in law lol.
lmao...I think I can manage that. Oh, and I like to shoot too...does that get me extra points????

Old 08-06-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK360 View Post
^ Terrible, I hope the hellaflush crap dies soon.

What does hellaflush mean?

Old 08-06-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
What does hellaflush mean?
it's slang for a car that's lowered down over "stretched" tires on wide wheels so that the line of the fender flare follows teh tire sidewall to the lip of the wheel.

Flush wheels are, as it sounds, flush with the flare. Herllaflush wheels are pronounced. It's a trend that supposedly started in Germany, where the TUV laws say a tire can not have tread visible from the top of the fender when viewed downward. This of course spread quickly to the Japanese drifter circuit where stretched tires are the norm.

Look at the front tires and how they meet up with the fender flares to see what I'm talking about, with the angle of the fender flare continuing to the tire to the wheel lip that sticks out.

This is different from purely "stanced" cars, which are basically just modern lowriders, using air ride instead of hydraulics, and slightly stretched tires but the whloe thing is tucked instead of sticking out:

Old 08-06-2012, 11:51 AM

Thanks. I thought it was a new manner of saying Cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive