Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 01:23 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,661,756 times

Advertisements

Optispark is basically a fancy distributor.

I am leaning towards sticking throttle. Fwiw I have owned 5 Canadians, 3 were 4th gens. From what I know of the system it would have to be a mechanical issue.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 05:29 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,937,300 times
Really ?
Ever had a throttle go wide open as you come around a curve ?

Ever had one go wide open as you approach stopped traffic ?

Knowing what you should do in an emergency, and doing what you should do in an emergency are two completely different things.

If it were my car, it'd be parked up until I knew what the problem was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Relly is not a big deal, just push in the clutch. However it could blow the engine. I am not about to start randomly replacing things that are in almost certainty not the problem.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:47 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,942,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Optispark is basically a fancy distributor.

I am leaning towards sticking throttle. Fwiw I have owned 5 Canadians, 3 were 4th gens. From what I know of the system it would have to be a mechanical issue.

What is Fwiw? I see that all the time. Forget what I wrote?

I would just forget it but stay extra alert and see if it happens again, but I am near replacing this car (If I ever figure out what I want to replace it - keep going back and forth currently G-8 or a CTS-V) and giving the camaro to my son, so I need to figure out what it was and make sure it is not going to happen again. He is an execellent driver, but he IS 16.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:36 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,661,756 times
For what its worth.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:32 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,892,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
Really ?
Ever had a throttle go wide open as you come around a curve ?

Ever had one go wide open as you approach stopped traffic ?

Knowing what you should do in an emergency, and doing what you should do in an emergency are two completely different things.

If it were my car, it'd be parked up until I knew what the problem was.
Excellent advice. No way would I put a 16 year old in this car without knowing for sure what the problem is and knowing it was fixed. I wouldn't even drive it myself.

Years ago I had a throttle stick wide open going into turn one on a 1/4 mile asphalt oval in a sportsman car. Stepped on the clutch and reached for the kill switch at about the same time it hit. Since it had solid motor mounts, it broke the block, transmission and the biggest piece of bellhousing was about fist-sized. I bent the brake pedal with my right foot.

After the ambulance ride to the ER and finding out three hours later I didn't break my neck and right ankle, I went back to get my car. It was then I found out the shaft on the carb over-centered and the return spring couldn't overcome it. It was still stuck wide open even after the hit.

All of this happened in a car with a full cage, a 5 point harness and wearing a full face helmet. Hate to think if it had been in a street car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive