Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 06:04 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,084,087 times

Advertisements

Most cars sold in America have ugly interiors. They are full of hard plastics and the fit and finish is the last thing on the designers minds.

I still don't get why European cars get more time and attention paid to their interiors, when American cars are left to look like the inside of a Matchbox car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 06:39 AM

458 posts, read 1,249,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Hate these stupid center dash instrument clusters!!!! Unless it's in a Mini, or an old Jeep CJ
I think it's ugly in Mini's too. It's a unique interior but I really dislike it.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:43 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,093,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer_Guy View Post
I think it's ugly in Mini's too. It's a unique interior but I really dislike it.
Agreed. I would never own one but I've always thought they were cool looking cars until you get to the interior which is quite hideous, particularly for a car costing $35k+.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:09 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiCoupe View Post
Sounded like a cool car to have in the 80s

Retractable door-handle flaps
Single front wiper blade (common on supercars and purpose built race cars and older E-series Mercedes Benzs)
Steering wheel with a single vertical and a single horizontal spoke
Pistol-grip shifter
an ECU for engine and transmission management (common on current vehicles)
Steering wheel with both tilt and reach/depth adjustment (common on current vehicles)
Instrument cluster that tilted with the steering wheel
Furthermore, some models were equipped with additional features:
Digital instrument cluster that tilted with the steering wheel
Headlight Washers (seen on various luxury cars of the last decade)
Trip computer with range/fuel management facilities (common on current vehicles)
Pneumatic suspension with height control (common on some current vehicles, supercars and purpose built race cars)
Push-button four-wheel drive (later changed to all-wheel drive)
Hill holder brake system, prevented rolling on hills in the manual transmission version.
I had one. The interior is designed based on an airplane cockpit. There were buttons and switches everywhere. One I never figured out what it did. Mine had most or all of those features, excpet it was automatic. A lot of those features were neat, but did not work very well. It was impossible to get the steering wheel into a comfortable driving position because the column was thick and all those things sticking out of it tangled with your knees. The oddball steeringwheel shape was difficult to grip in a comfortable position at least for me. The trip computer was cool, but inaccurate. You could also raise the suspension up or down 3" with a button. Not sure what that was supposed to accomplish, but it was fun. The lines that make up the road on either side of the little car on the dash were a tach and turbo boost depiction. The lines would grow or shrink depending on RPM and turbo boost. When you made the car go up on the air suspension, the little car picture would also rise up. It had a great huge sunroof. Windshield was super sloped and the side windows were funky. Overall, it was pretty much a POS, under powered, bad mileage, mediochre at best handling, uncomfortable. A bit of a dog to drive. Plus some big problems with the cooling system/turbocharger. However it was unique, easy to pick out in a parking lot and it was fun to watch when people got into it and said "WTF???!!!" It was more bizzarre looking than in the picture. The interior was totally ugly, but absolutely unique. The seat fabric was totally 1980s japanese. It was funny. I have to admit, I loved it - at least in retorspect. I am not sure I did at the time. If they had not all rusted away to nothing, I might try to buy one for fun and nostalgia, or to give a kid. I do not think there was anything like them ever again.

This picture shows the dash up close. Tis is an accurate picture since one of the engine problem idiot lights is on (right side top). That was its normal condition.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 09-18-2012 at 11:26 AM..

Old 09-18-2012, 01:20 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
The Mini dash reminds me of an old 1940's radio.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:58 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,163,318 times
If you like circles, you will love Mini Dash.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:01 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
Most cars sold in America have ugly interiors. They are full of hard plastics and the fit and finish is the last thing on the designers minds.

I still don't get why European cars get more time and attention paid to their interiors, when American cars are left to look like the inside of a Matchbox car.
European cars have plenty of plastic in their interiors, too.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:40 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
The Mini dash reminds me of an old 1940's radio.

See.....I like old timey radios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
If you like circles, you will love Mini Dash.

lol

Boy....that is alot of circles!

Old 09-18-2012, 02:44 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
You could also raise the suspension up or down 3" with a button. Not sure what that was supposed to accomplish, but it was fun.

I'd bet it was for flyin' down bumpy, pot hole ridden, back country dirt roads, rally style.

....or driving down Woodward.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:56 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,294,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Agreed. I would never own one but I've always thought they were cool looking cars until you get to the interior which is quite hideous, particularly for a car costing $35k+.

I happen to like the interior of my MINI Cooper. And it wasn't anywhere NEAR $35k. I like the funky center speedo, with a digital speedo directly in front of you in the tach cluster. I like how everything is functional, and in easy reach and works well. I like the blue accent lighting at night in the handles and footwells, and the materials you tend to need to touch feel good. I don't care about harder plastics, as I remember the days of hard painted metal interiors. I don't drive around stroking my dash, anyhow. But it has good fit and finsih and no rattles.

Notice it doesn't have a bunch of cheap silver plastic bits like the earlier picture. The black plastic looks and feels high quality and fits the style quite well, especially with the chrome ring accents.

It does have a lot of circles, but who cares? on older cars, if you had a dash full of gauges, you had a lot of circles, too:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive