Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 11:03 AM

42,410 posts, read 87,289,401 times

Advertisements

Quite honestly, if I were to be satisfied with a do-it-yourself paint job on a car, I'd also be satisfied with what it looks like before the paint job. And just not bother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 01:42 PM

8,953 posts, read 20,737,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
You get what you pay for.. LOL there is a reason some paint jobs cost $10,000 and up ...
The is also the reason why people would paint their cars with a paint brush and enamel paint!!

Gets the job done at a price they can afford.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:10 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,692,771 times
I did a beater '86 Toyota Tercel wagon with Rustoleum rattle cans once. The car had been blue at one time, but had become more rust than original, especially the fenders and lower door panels. $50 or so in rattle cans, + $10 in masking tape seems about right.

I took my time to carefully mask all the windows, the sparse chrome trim, and anything else that shouldn't be painted, and then I started going at it. I used Rustoleum black automotive primer all around, then Rustoleum flat black from the rubber door molding down, and Rustoleum satin black on the upper portion of the car (which wasn't as rusty). It still looked like a beater, but it looked kind of tough and ready to rumble instead of old and decrepit.

I drove that car through a winter and whenever the rust spots turned inevitably turned brown again, I'd just spray on more flat black. The satin black actually held its own even through an automatic car wash or three.

'Round springtime, I had an accident when some moron suddenly attempted to turn across my lane onto a cross street. We crashed, he decided to go straight after all, and left the scene... Jerk. I threw the car away after that because the accident bent a tie rod or something (plus it needed some other maintenance), but the paint job was still holding.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:24 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,058,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
The is also the reason why people would paint their cars with a paint brush and enamel paint!!

Gets the job done at a price they can afford.

Not really. The people who spend 10k+ for a paint job don't drive their car.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:37 AM

12,841 posts, read 15,146,366 times
OP here. Thanks for all the replies. My BF says:

I have a '91 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4. I have some questons:

- Has anyone used Rustoleum (rolled on) on this kind of truck or a Chevy Silverado & how did it turn out? - Was it very labor intensive or pretty easy? I assumes labor intensive.
- Was it better w/ 50/50 mineral spirits & paint OR 75/25 paint & thinner?
- Depending on the coats, did it take a longer to dry when rolled on as opposed to sprayed on?
- In the jam areas that the roller can't get to, is it better to use a paint brush or sponge brush?

Also, has anyone ever heard of the VHT Nite Shades headlight/tailight smoke effect paint & what were the results & how did it last?

BTW, on a different note, I like how w/ the video below, you can spray rigt over the windows & it peel it off later. What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7uT4dTMUEA

Old 10-07-2012, 10:14 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,870,400 times
lmao, I'll one up u, my 03 frontier was smashed by a drunk w/no ins. i only had liability. Roll on rustoleum, um I used the spray on kind from walmart (5$'s a can)took 2 cans to cover the hood and 2 fenders(certifit body parts)I'll try an post lol

Old 10-07-2012, 10:29 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,870,400 times
course i tried, but seems not a lot of folks post pictures on this forum, maybe i'll spend the time to figure it out, not lol

Old 10-07-2012, 09:18 PM

22,701 posts, read 24,756,978 times
I thought of that....pretty easy to do.....scuff, wipe clean with cleaner, then paint.

I think it may hurt gas mileage somewhat by increasing body drag.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:34 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,830,083 times
If I rattle can anything...it's only going to be one color.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...AL._SS500_.jpg

http://coloradok5.com/forums/picture...&pictureid=142

OD

Old 10-08-2012, 05:16 AM

301 posts, read 1,550,371 times
What the OP was after with the post was.There is a group of guys who are painting there cars with the new style rollers.Using Rustoleum cuting it with mineral spirits.Like Forever Blue said.But there rolling it on and doing panels at a time.Because of all the labor involved.Which is wet sanding and more wet sanding.Recoating and more wet sanding then rubbing compound.And you the are getting the roller markes out and the paint is looking smooth and has a good shine.You can find more info on the Chevelle forum and on one of the Dodge Forums.A guy with a Orange 1970 Dodge Charger has the whole process posted.For someone with a bunch of time and limited funds have at it.How long will it last who knows.Is a professional paint job better Yes.But when I was 16 I would have done it.Its not something you compare to.The money job wins every time.The post is about rolling on Rustoleum. Here is a serach I did look at all the information on it. painting your car with rustoleum - AT&T Yahoo! Search Results
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive