Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 08:06 AM

29,545 posts, read 14,693,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Quite honestly, if I were to be satisfied with a do-it-yourself paint job on a car, I'd also be satisfied with what it looks like before the paint job. And just not bother.
This...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
The is also the reason why people would paint their cars with a paint brush and enamel paint!!

Gets the job done at a price they can afford.
It's all good, if you have a car you don't ever plan on selling and really isn't worth that much go for it. I've had beater rides when I was younger that I just primered spots and left it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 02:50 PM
lgt

469 posts, read 1,343,110 times
Originally Posted by jtur88
Quite honestly, if I were to be satisfied with a do-it-yourself paint job on a car, I'd also be satisfied with what it looks like before the paint job. And just not bother.

It will fade and oxidize in about a year. You can get much better paint and primer for around $100, a paint gun for $25, and rent a compressor. You can probably do it for around $200 or less or just go to maaco. It won't be the greatest paint job, but better than rustoleum.

Last edited by lgt; 10-09-2012 at 02:58 PM..

Old 10-09-2012, 05:38 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,693,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgt View Post

It will fade and oxidize in about a year. You can get much better paint and primer for around $100, a paint gun for $25, and rent a compressor. You can probably do it for around $200 or less or just go to maaco. It won't be the greatest paint job, but better than rustoleum.
I don't know about that. I've seen , and painted, cars painted with a good enamel paint like Rustoleum that lasted for several years that were brush painted. The key is get a good medium heavy coat of paint on the car to last so it will weather well over time ok.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:00 PM
lgt

A quality automotive paint from Dupont, PPG, House of Kolor, or Sikkens costs about the same and will hold up a whole lot better.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:07 AM

61 posts, read 103,739 times
One thing about the rustoleum paint is that will be lower quality than the automotive coatings which may or mat not be cured chemically, or in the plant baked. The chemistry will be different, alkyds (oil based) versus acrylic or urethane probably and 2K for more premium refinishes. The difference is that alkyds will have a tendency to yellow over time, especially if you paint it white and live in a high UV area. The automotive paints are higher cost because they add light stabilizers. Ford tried to lower the cost of their coatings 15 years ago? and removed these stabilizers. A lot of Ford vehicles had peeling issues and had to be repainted. These won't be in the rustoleum products. But if it's a small area, or an old car I would probably do it as well.

Also, the real cost in a high end finishes is labor, labor, and labor. The preparation of the surface, (the glossier a coating is, the more likely you are to see any defects), then the wet sanding can mean a tremendous amount of hand labor to have a perfect finish.

I would say I stayed in a Holiday Inn last night, but I actually do research in coatings, though not much in automotive.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:28 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,656,168 times
Guys you are missing the point....

I don't think anyone is saying they are trying to compete, just clean up a car. If I bought a horridly faded red jeep Cherokee with maybe a miscolored fender and some dings., and I have seen a lot while searching. I consider fixing the dents and bondoing as best I could, sand, solvent clean and repaint for cheap. I personally go with a silver/gray that didn't look bad.

I think it would make a $1500-2500 jeep look a million times better. It won't last as long but who cares, car will be dead in 2-3 years, either redo, or junk it by then.

Also macco jobs aren't so cheap anymore.....

Just saying I know the rattle can clearcoat I put on my camaro won't last forever, along with the sanding/clearcoating of my headlights, but it looks much better then before and cost like $10. I bought the car for $2k, looks less white trashy, and I have gotten 20,000. Problem free miles out of it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-10-2012, 08:35 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,367,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
To compete in car shows?

Another one, is tractor paint. some people have had good results, but really only 3 colors, black, white and red.

I had considered trying to mix black and white and get a dark gray, when I was looking at getting a beater Cherokee, alot of faded ones out there.
Don't they also make a green tractor paint? LOL

Old 10-10-2012, 08:46 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,367,468 times
Painting a car or truck is a lot of work and not sure that $50 in paint will get the job done. Also it is time consuming to get the body in shape for the paint. By the time that you block sand it to get rid of the dings you could have hours upon hours tied up in the process. Then again I am not the shoot and dry kind of guy. My old Porsche was in sad shape when I got it and it took a few years and a few dollars to get it up to speed. Now that we have a couple future drivers in the house our next goal is to find and fix up a couple Beetles. Just to get them to look new again will take a year or two of weekends. But the end result will be something that a couple teens will love driving back and forth to school and jobs.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:53 AM
lgt

Mustang I think you are missing the point. Auto paint isn't much more than Rustoleum and will hold up MUCH better and if it's a touch up job it will match a whole lot better, maybe even close to perfect. You can have it loaded into a rattle can too. You can brush it on just like Rustoleum which brings me to my other point. If you have a car that can use a paint job it just looks like a car that needs a paint job. If you have a car that has a bad paint job you still have a car that can use a paint job even after all the time and money you put into the bad paint job. I've seen brush jobs and I've seen rattle can jobs and they never look any good.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/2709355...Types&var=sbar

I'm sure you can find it local in a more common color a little cheaper. Omni is made by PPG and even without catalyst it will hold up and look better.

Last edited by lgt; 10-10-2012 at 09:06 AM..

Old 10-10-2012, 02:37 PM

61 posts, read 103,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgt View Post
Mustang I think you are missing the point. Auto paint isn't much more than Rustoleum .
Auto paint and Rustoleum will be two totally different systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive