Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 12:07 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times

Advertisements

For timing traffic lights in general, I love the pedestrian lights that tell you exactly how much time is left before the light turns red.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:49 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
It doesn't matter how short the yellow light is
Yes it does.

Quote:
as you are not allowed to enter the intersection when it comes on (in every state, see the uniforn traffic laws)
Yes you are.

Quote:
The only time your allowed to enter a intersection is on a green light.
Wrong.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:48 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,706,517 times
I specifically know all the photo intersections in my area and i avoid them like the plague if i have to make a left turn. Most times i go another route anyway, but if i have to make a left, i specifically stay away.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:41 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,130,585 times
Many studies have proven that these 'photo lights' are not about safety. From time to time I use to drive truck on Route 30 in Illinois. At the intersections you could clearly see why camera lights do not work – plenty of glass and broken plastic. People get obsessed trying not to get a ticket and get rear-ended. What these lights have done is made every light a judgment call for the motorist – not two of us will think alike.

Driving truck through these intersections is even more dangerous. We have been taught, as professionals, to look for stale lights and anticipate the light changing. But; we are bigger, heavier, and require more stopping distance. Sometimes we will have an empty trailer and our brakes are set up for heavy loads. We could easily slide though an intersection or fish-tail if we try to brake too hard (depending on the load).

I was never cited for driving through one of these. But; I do wish that others would see the light and pressure our states to remove these cameras.

I was not a truck driver my whole life. I have driven about 1,500,000 miles commercially and about 1,000,000+ miles in cars and pickup trucks. Somebody always tries to point out that this isn't the case: I do not recall ever seeing a motorist drive through a red light. I don't mean; lights that quickly changed to red and the motorist simply extended the yellow. It is possible that I forgot seeing one? I have encountered two lights that turned red on me before I could get through them – I was too heavy to get moving quick.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:41 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,168,828 times
Watch out for Dover as light color means nothing to him nor do the rules(laws) of the road.

I cited the LAW and your citing a dream you had.

the yellow is not don't be worried you can still enter the intersection because it's not red yet

as soon as it turns green I could be entering the intersection at the speed limit but I/we can't because you ran the yellow light and causing a dangerous situation.
You should not still be in the intersection as the yellow gave you time to clear the intersection.
The yellow is a warring that is is going to turn red and stop. It does not mean enter the intersection & hurry up we can still make it before it turns red.
The yellow is to clear the intersection, so when I get the green I can have the right-of-way.

Last edited by snofarmer; 10-13-2012 at 09:53 AM..

Old 10-13-2012, 12:42 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,654,704 times
Quote:
Watch out for Dover as light color means nothing to him nor do the rules(laws) of the road.

I cited the LAW and your citing a dream you had.

the yellow is not don't be worried you can still enter the intersection because it's not red yet

as soon as it turns green I could be entering the intersection at the speed limit but I/we can't because you ran the yellow light and causing a dangerous situation.
You should not still be in the intersection as the yellow gave you time to clear the intersection.
The yellow is a warring that is is going to turn red and stop. It does not mean enter the intersection & hurry up we can still make it before it turns red.
The yellow is to clear the intersection, so when I get the green I can have the right-of-way.
Snofarmer, what you say is true but there are too many people out there who feel they can "make it" and aren't prepared to stop. If you are in front of them, you are going to get hit or hear the screech of brakes. It is very dangerous when you drive in heavy traffic on a daily basis.
I passed another one yesterday, she stopped and the other one didn't.
I have started driving very slow and I drive slower to begin with. I hear them a lot, it has spread to normal lights now as people are getting into the habit of stopping on a dime because of the picture enforced lights.
If you are constantly checking your rearview mirror to see if you should go or stop, your eyes are not on the road in front of you as it should be. It is a big problem in large cities. I hate it, it is dangerous.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:56 PM

Where is it that you are going so fast negotiating a left turn at a intersection on a yellow light that you can't stop?
Are you tailgating?
Going to fast for the intersection?

I travel from Illinois to the western states and I have yet to get rear ended because I stopped on a yellow during rush HR traffic.

You are letting tailgaters and aggressive drivers influence you into making bad decisions.

Yellow does not mean, hurry up and go a few more cars can make it before it turns red, the vehicles with the green light will just have to wait for us to clear the intersection.
The yellow is to clear the intersection so those with the right-of-way (green light) can go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Snofarmer, what you say is true but there are too many people out there who feel they can "make it" and aren't prepared to stop. If you are in front of them, you are going to get hit or hear the screech of brakes. It is very dangerous when you drive in heavy traffic on a daily basis.
I passed another one yesterday, she stopped and the other one didn't.
I have started driving very slow and I drive slower to begin with. I hear them a lot, it has spread to normal lights now as people are getting into the habit of stopping on a dime because of the picture enforced lights.
If you are constantly checking your rearview mirror to see if you should go or stop, your eyes are not on the road in front of you as it should be. It is a big problem in large cities. I hate it, it is dangerous.

Last edited by snofarmer; 10-13-2012 at 01:09 PM..

Old 10-13-2012, 01:02 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,207,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
How do you cope? If you go through, you get a ticket. If you don't, you wait for the crash to come. I am a nervous wreck driving now and don't have any idea what to do! My friends car was totaled because she stopped, I hear crashes because somebody stopped. If you get 3 moving violations, you lose your license. If you stop you might lose your car or possibly get killed.
What do you do?
My son recently got his license and we were just talking about this. I told him to always look in the rear view mirror and that if it looks like the person behind you is not going to stop, just go keep going and don't worry about the camera. Better to pay the ticket and I believe you could take it to court and have it dropped, as the camera would also show the car behind you.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:11 PM

With this logic, why would you or your son stop for a red light or stop sign?
I mean the car behind you is right on your butt, is he going to stop, he could hit you. better to put everyone at risk than to obey the light.

YOU are in control of your vehicle not the guy or gal behind you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
My son recently got his license and we were just talking about this. I told him to always look in the rear view mirror and that if it looks like the person behind you is not going to stop, just go keep going and don't worry about the camera. Better to pay the ticket and I believe you could take it to court and have it dropped, as the camera would also show the car behind you.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:13 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,207,686 times
Quote:
With this logic, why would you or your son stop for a red light or stop sign?
I mean the car behind you is right on your butt, is he going to stop, he could hit you. better to put everyone at risk than to obey the light.

YOU are in control of your vehicle not the guy or gal behind you.
I've been rear-ended by doing that. My advice to my son stands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive