Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 05:30 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,654,255 times

Advertisements

How do you cope? If you go through, you get a ticket. If you don't, you wait for the crash to come. I am a nervous wreck driving now and don't have any idea what to do! My friends car was totaled because she stopped, I hear crashes because somebody stopped. If you get 3 moving violations, you lose your license. If you stop you might lose your car or possibly get killed.
What do you do?

Old 10-12-2012, 05:41 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,478,727 times
Depends what state. Most states, you are guilty if you enter the intersection while red. If you enter it yellow, you are good to go. I cant think of one red light ticket where someone was ticketed while the light was yellow. The key is what state the light is when entering the intersection.

Chances are, if you or anybody is crashing (I'm assuming being rear ended) y'all are going way to fast and having to slam on brakes or not paying attention. Yellow lights are timed accordingly to the speed limits.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:11 AM

The thing is (I'm in Illinois), if you are approaching and the light turns yellow? You should stop but you don't know if the guy behind you feels the same way or thinks they will have time to get through. You get a ticket if you are in the intersection when it changes to red. It always seems to be this last second decision that is nerve wracking. People go through yellow here all the time and speed up to make sure they get through, you never know which "type" is behind you.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:17 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,161,023 times
Problem is that the state is shortening the yellow so you either have to slam on the brakes or get a ticket, which is one way to get more revenue for the government. I suggest slowing down at the lights.

Coincidentally, I just got a ticket from one of these cameras because of this exact situation. I should have slammed on the brakes.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
Problem is that the state is shortening the yellow so you either have to slam on the brakes or get a ticket, which is one way to get more revenue for the government. I suggest slowing down at the lights.

Coincidentally, I just got a ticket from one of these cameras because of this exact situation. I should have slammed on the brakes.
But Praxis, if you had slammed on your brakes, the guy behind you may have slammed into you and bye bye car.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:32 AM

Can we go to court if we get one of these tickets and explain to the judge the predicament they have put us in?

Old 10-12-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
But Praxis, if you had slammed on your brakes, the guy behind you may have slammed into you and bye bye car.
I know, that is why I am slowing way down at every light because I don't know when it will turn yel-RED! It will probably annoy the person behind me.

See this article...

Old 10-12-2012, 06:37 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,478,727 times
this is from IL:

Red light — Stop at the marked stop line. If there is not a marked stop line,
stop before entering the crosswalk. If there is no crosswalk, stop before
entering the intersection. Do not go until the light is green and the intersection is clear. You may make a right turn at a red light. You also may make
a left turn at a red light when turning from a one-way street onto another
one-way street that has traffic moving to the left. In both instances, drivers
must come to a complete stop and yield the right-of-way to oncoming traffic and pedestrians before turning.

Yellow light — The yellow light warns that the signal is changing from
green to red. When the red light appears, you may not enter the intersection.

Green light — You may go after yielding the right-of-way to any pedestrians and vehicles in the intersection or crosswalk

Engineers determine how long a yellow light is needed. The city, county, or state is not making them shorter to make it unstoppable to try to ticket people. They time the light so its safely stoppable even for a massive 80000 lb truck to stop on time. Its a safety thing, really.

As the above rule about yellows, you cannot enter the intersection while its RED. You can enter when yellow. Thats what the camera looks for.

If you are going at or around the speed limit, and a light turns yellow, you have plenty of stopping time.

Dont worry about what the other person behind you is doing. Why take a chance of breaking the law yourself because you think they guy behind you may want to run it.

Im certain every single one of these accidents that people blame on the yellow/red light cameras is actually driver error. Could be one or both of the cars involved, late braking/reaction time due to distraction is most likely cause.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:45 AM

Read that article, the timing of the yellow light is not calibrated at all and there is no regulation, so the DMV can set it to whatever it wants. Maybe in your part of the country, the DMVs always calibrate the lights and don't try to generate more revenue from these cameras, but this is certainly not the case in NYC/NJ metro area.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:56 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,167,411 times
It doesn't matter how short the yellow light is
as you are not allowed to enter the intersection when it comes on (in every state, see the uniforn traffic laws)
The yellow light is , it is to clear the intersection of traffic for when the light changes it's not so a few more cars can sneak threw.

The only time your allowed to enter a intersection is on a green light.

Unless there is signage at that intersection saying other wise.
like yield on a yellow turn arrow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive