Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2012, 11:05 AM

23 posts, read 55,440 times

Advertisements

So this morning while parallel parking I love-tapped the truck in front of me. It was very light, but I immediately started freaking out. I got out and looked at the truck - it was already pretty scuffed up as it was so it's hard to tell if I added any new scratches, but I didn't see any damage on the front of my car. I left a note with my first initial and last name and phone number that stated that I had lightly bumped his car and didn't see any damage, but wanted to let him know, took pictures of his rear and my front, then went off to work.

I know that leaving a note was the right thing to do, but I'm really hoping this doesn't turn into a case of the owner saying hey, my bumper is already scuffed up, now I can just get the whole replaced for free! I really don't think I caused any damage - I tapped the part that sticks out above the hitch that serves as a "step." Anyone have similar experiences? I want to do the right thing, but don't want to suddenly be on the hook for massive repairs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 11:14 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,234,009 times
No one knows how the owner will react. The pics you took may help but the owner can always say you did all that damage. But you can't worry about what may never happen. I'd just go on with my life and react if it goes any further.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:23 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
Chances are if your car wasn't damaged on the mostly plastic front end then you didn't do a thing to the trucks all metal rear. In the future if it happens again access the damage and decide if a note is appropriate. It sounds like you didn't need to leave one this time. If the truck person calls you then deal with it and if he is a jerk then let the insurance companies handle it and you provide the evidence. Hopefully it won't go that far. Or if he does call you could pretend that he has the wrong number. HA!

Old 10-31-2012, 01:27 PM

23 posts, read 55,440 times
I was mostly trying to cover myself in case someone saw me and decided to say I was hitting-and-running. I suppose at this point I'll just hope the truck driver is a decent person!

Old 10-31-2012, 01:51 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,177,681 times
You did the right thing, regardless of what the other person does. I don't care if it's a million dollar Bugatti or a ratted out Pinto, if you hit someone else's car, the right thing to do is to fess up to it.

Kudos!

Mike

Old 11-01-2012, 08:42 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,234,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
You did the right thing, regardless of what the other person does. I don't care if it's a million dollar Bugatti or a ratted out Pinto, if you hit someone else's car, the right thing to do is to fess up to it.

Kudos!

Mike
Are we gonna have that whole "integrity" conversation again?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive