Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 09:26 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,056,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
1. These black box devices absolutely do not have the ability to track where you go. However the police do have other technology that can do that. Such as automatic license plate recognition cameras. Seems to me if you are concerned about privacy, you should be more concerned about stuff like that.

It is a "tinfoil hat" concern. Your privacy can and is being invaded in ways far greater, then a little black box inside your car.
You are under the mistaken impression that this is a single issue about privacy, and that is only what me and others are concerned about.

Quote:
2. Yes, these black boxes can tell how fast you were driving at the time of an accident. Police radar guns can also do the same thing. Why are you not concerned about those?

What difference does that make? The end result is the same.
If you don't see the difference between what is embedded in your personal property and an external source being used by law enforcement, I would suggest looking in to understanding that if I were you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 11:50 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,368,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
This is the kind of attitude that allows the government to erode our right to privacy bit by bit. Wonder when people are going to wise up and say "enough". Yes, everytime I am on the internet, get a phone call, drive or walk in a city that has street cams, I am giving out information. I don't like it, but what can one person do? Only when enough people understand the ramifications of this kind of invasion and let the government know how they feel will it stop. The framers of the constitution and bill of rights understood that to have freedom you must accept a measure of responsibility. Now the attitude seems to be to let the government do what they want as long as they do not step on your toes. Got news for you, when you insist on others giving up rights they do not want to, it puts your own rights in jeopardy.
The ironic thing is that you're exponentially MORE apt to have internet information used against you, than anything gleaned from a black box. But you don't seem to mind...

Old 12-11-2012, 01:13 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,676,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
The ironic thing is that you're exponentially MORE apt to have internet information used against you, than anything gleaned from a black box. But you don't seem to mind...
That's not ironic; information that is never stored or distributed can't be used for any purpose. The internet is voluntary; the recording of data by EDRs is compulsory. The only thing that the internet and data recorders have in common, is the ability to store data that can be accessed later.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
That's not ironic; information that is never stored or distributed can't be used for any purpose. The internet is voluntary; the recording of data by EDRs is compulsory. The only thing that the internet and data recorders have in common, is the ability to store data that can be accessed later.
Driving itself is voluntary - and is a privilege, not a right. People seem to forget that.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:11 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,024,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Of course you're a responsible driver. Everybody's a responsible driver because they say so.
I've been involved in more then a few crashes, and my insurance has never had to pay a claim.

If I wasn't a responsible driver, then why would I welcome having a black box in my car? I think this is just crap drivers who don't want these black boxes in their cars. Because they know it will expose their reckless driving after they are involved in a crash.

Last edited by KaaBoom; 12-11-2012 at 03:19 PM..

Old 12-11-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Anybody else see a contradiction here?

What do they do, just switch on when there is going to be an accident? Instead of recording data, why don't they warn the driver that he is going to be in a crash that day, so he can stay home?
They only retain the last 5 to 10 seconds of data after a crash. Otherwise the data is constantly overwritten. They don't have hard drives in them to store all the data forever. Because that would just be stupid and accumulate a lot of worthless data.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:40 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,495,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
They only retain the last 5 to 10 seconds of data after a crash. Otherwise the data is constantly overwritten. They don't have hard drives in them to store all the data forever. Because that would just be stupid and accumulate a lot of worthless data.
5-10 seconds AFTER a crash.. that sounds helpful... lol

Old 12-11-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
5-10 seconds AFTER a crash.. that sounds helpful... lol
When the airbags deploy and the data stops because of a crash, the last 5 - 10 seconds of data are retained. This is enough to tell how fast the car was traveling before the crash, the rate of braking, and if the occupants were wear set-belts, or not. This is all the data that is needed, and all the data that is retained.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:40 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Driving itself is voluntary - and is a privilege, not a right. People seem to forget that.
Not true. The main purpose of the revolution and the constitution was to abolish the concept of privilege in these united states. All men are created equal, and privilege is extended to none.

How, exactly, did the founders write the Constitution in such language that driving a horse and buggy was a right, but it was to become a privilege if and when a motor was installed? Quote that part of the Constitution to me.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Not true. The main purpose of the revolution and the constitution was to abolish the concept of privilege in these united states. All men are created equal, and privilege is extended to none.

How, exactly, did the founders write the Constitution in such language that driving a horse and buggy was a right, but it was to become a privilege if and when a motor was installed? Quote that part of the Constitution to me.
First you quote to me the part of the Constitution that says driving a horse and buggy is a right.

Driving a car is a privilege, not a right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive