Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 05:19 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,589,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
I never knew the Marquis came from the same makers as the Lincoln Continental, I knew they were trying to compete with Lincoln rather than Ford with the Marquis and succeeded greatly, even the '69 Monterey looked more luxurious than the previous Monterey's.
Well, I was just quoting a commercial, but it did share a number of things with the Conti. If I find the commercial, I'll be sure to post it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 06:26 PM

4,626 posts, read 12,310,677 times
When you consider those big tuna boats weighed 4000 lbs plus, those high compression big blocks had torque.
People would pull full size travel trailers with them. Gas was less than 50 cents a gallon. I remember riding in a full size Ford wagon with a 429 one night. The driver would put the front bumper up against a street sign set in concrete and apply the throttle. Guess what happened?

Old 02-25-2013, 06:45 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,715,359 times
I remember the 1969 Chrysler Newport tested by CR's was a noisebox. Tho I am a Mopar fan, i personally thought that year's Newport looked atrocious and ill-fitting. Does anyone remember the 69 Newport?

Old 02-26-2013, 10:26 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,796,158 times
For me it's a tie between the 69 LTD and the 69 Caprice. I like the looks of both, however I'd like it even better if I saw more of any of these at a typical classic car cruise instead of the typical 60's Camaros/Mustangs.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:07 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,110,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
For me it's a tie between the 69 LTD and the 69 Caprice. I like the looks of both, however I'd like it even better if I saw more of any of these at a typical classic car cruise instead of the typical 60's Camaros/Mustangs.
I agree that you hardly see these kind of cars at the classic car cruise's unlike the 60's Camaro's/Mustang's, I hardly ever see them at the car shows as well.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:55 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,589,654 times
Quote:
I agree that you hardly see these kind of cars at the classic car cruise's unlike the 60's Camaro's/Mustang's, I hardly ever see them at the car shows as well.
Honestly it gets olds seeing those types of cars at the classic car shows all the time. I'd much rather see the big boats

Old 02-27-2013, 12:32 AM

3,223 posts, read 10,110,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
Honestly it gets olds seeing those types of cars at the classic car shows all the time. I'd much rather see the big boats
I agree, these big boats of that era don't get the recognition that they truly deserve IMO yet they've had just as much power as the more popular muscle cars and pony cars.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:59 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,776,344 times
I'd say my favorite luxury ride for 69 would def be a 69 Lincoln Continental in all black, they look ultra gangster. A 69 Cadillac, minus the interior, is a very very close second, I do love the front end of the 69-70 Cadillac's though, one of the best ever grills IMO for a Caddy.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:09 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,776,344 times
Quote:
I agree, these big boats of that era don't get the recognition that they truly deserve IMO yet they've had just as much power as the more popular muscle cars and pony cars.
Yeah it sucks that all these old guys (no offense to old guys out there ) are so obsessed with the mainstreams.....like the Mustangs, 30's-40's Fords, and the 55-57 Chevy's, it's so annoying. I get so sick and tired every time I hit up a classic car show, and the majority of the cars are typical Muscles, and hot rods. Hardly any classic luxury makes show up, or are on display, which is sad because the luxury cars typically had the best styling, were the best in quality, the biggest and most impressive cars to look at during those times. Not everybody is looking for speed, and great handling, but a smooth comfortable ride with a lot of space to move around in, and a car that actually stands out from the crowed with magnificent styling.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:29 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,035,521 times
Quote:
the nice thing about those big old boats, was that those cars were what we'd drive as our "winter beaters" in the 07's/80's when we parked our nice rides ( back in WI). It was cheap and easy to get a Polara, LTD, Impala, etc with a nice motor in it, so the fun factor was still there when us kids wanted to go beat around. Add the fact that one could haul more then a couple buds and beverages that was just a bonus of the times. Though my fave I had was a 67 Riviera i picked up for 100 bucks. Body was banged up, but that motor was a blast to hammer.
Ahhhh if only we could truly appreciate any of the cars we had when we were young.... as they dont last forever

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive