Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 10:41 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times

Advertisements

Toyota is a lot bigger than Honda, both in the US and worldwide, though Honda is more dependent on the North American market as a % of its sales. So I'd think that Honda isn't all that much behind Toyota in the US in terms of volume. Honda probably sells more in the US than Nissan which overall is a larger vehicle manufacturer, even discounting the latter's link with Renault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 03:55 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,486,513 times
I thought the corolla was a little more comfortable ride than the civic. Never did feel the better punch of the civic but maybe on CA freeways with those range cars you don't.

Toyota has really made an effort to bring customers in so that they will return. Their service has gotten better & they treat you pretty well even for a less expensive car.

Probably my real decisio was based on the fact that I had ben a toyota driver for about 20 years.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:06 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,925,972 times
> Toyota is a much larger company so it's no huge surprise that they out-sold Honda.

More like it's the other way around, right?

Honda and Toyota have a rep for selling reliable, long-lasting cars. Not exciting cars. There is a huge market for cars that just work.

Having said that- I've had both and I agree that Honda was/ is slipping. I would buy another Toyota but not another Honda.

[LEFT]
[/LEFT]

Old 04-05-2013, 07:12 PM

808 posts, read 1,879,185 times
I grew up in a family of Honda drivers and my first 2 cars were Accords but currently I prefer the Camry. Both cars are fine, reliable machines but the sound dampening in the Camry is so much better I can actually have a conversation with people in the back seat without having to shout. The enduring popularity of the Corolla over the Civic, on the other hand, is something I've yet to comprehend.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:26 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
I grew up in a family of Honda drivers and my first 2 cars were Accords but currently I prefer the Camry. Both cars are fine, reliable machines but the sound dampening in the Camry is so much better I can actually have a conversation with people in the back seat without having to shout. The enduring popularity of the Corolla over the Civic, on the other hand, is something I've yet to comprehend.
Let me give you four reasons:

1) You can get a Toyota Corolla for a lot less than a Honda Civic. The last time I was shopping the vehicles, there was a $3,000 difference which placed it LOWER than the Cobalt and the Focus as well as the Civic.

2) There are a lot of us who like boring and reliable cars with SIMPLE interiors. The Corolla defines boring and reliable.

3) Since Honda does NOT deem it necessary to sell to rental fleets, I could not get an EXTENDED test drive. If I am going to shell out money for a new vehicle, I have to make sure that I am making a good decision.

4) The FEW Honda dealers that I have dealt with have been real PITAs to deal with especially when there are warranty issues with the vehicle.

YMMV.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:55 PM

528 posts, read 823,988 times
The only non bland cars Toyoto has ever sold were the Supra and the MR-2 and apparently they did not fit in with everything else so they were dropped. I guess they are trying to make Scion their excitement division. For Honda it was the S2000, same fate. Personally I would not pick either car in either segment but, if I had to it would be the Honda's for no other reason than they annoy me less.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:58 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,097,411 times
I personally don't care very much for Honda/Toyota products because they don't meet my needs but if the existence of a particular brand annoys you I think you've got bigger things to worry about.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:12 PM

427 posts, read 948,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
I am talking about Camry vs. Accord, and Corolla vs. Civic. This is especially surprising considering the fact that the Accord was a new redesign and Civic was just redesigned a year ago and Corolla is still the old model from 5 years ago.
Why did McDonalds sell more hamburgers than Wendy's. Just another of the world's mysteries.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:43 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,675,956 times
Because Toyota always sells more cars than Honda.

Honda has lucked out with the Accord as the number one model sold some years, but even so, Toyota as a brand always sells more units than Honda.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:31 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,911,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyDavis View Post
Why did McDonalds sell more hamburgers than Wendy's. Just another of the world's mysteries.
Why did HP sell more computers than Apple?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive