Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 03:47 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,880,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Since, for me, cages (er, I mean cars) are tools, I don't give a rats arse if it's common or rare, so long as it's the tool that's best suited to the job at hand. Sorta like when I'm shopping for a laptop, kitchen cutlery, or even a hammer ~ rare/unique/limited plays Zero roll in the decision factor.

Now, when it comes to motorcycles (toys), then yes I'm fond of being different than others. I like to buck the trend. Maybe I'd feel the same towards cage..er, sorry, cars if I saw them as anything other than a tool.
Not me. Even my toaster is unique and unusual.

Not trying to impress anyone. In fact no one has seen my toaster outside our family. I just do not like to be trendy and common, I like weird, odd unusual or old things. It lets me pretend I am unique too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 06:37 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,300,393 times
The more common the better. And the more sold, the better.

Because more parts will be available at auto parts stores (sometimes even stocked) and at wrecking yards. And the more people who own the same vehicle, the more troubleshooting tips you will find on the internet.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:01 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,422,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Because it's NOT fun to pay a few extra grand just because the factory slapped some stickers, slightly different bumpers or different color schemes on the car?

It IS fun to mod/personalize you car yourself though, and often it's cheaper too.
I don't think it's fun to pay out the nose for an iphone contract or pay mark-up to eat at restaurants or drink at bars, but millions of people do...

To each their own.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:25 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,880,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
The more common the better. And the more sold, the better.

Because more parts will be available at auto parts stores (sometimes even stocked) and at wrecking yards. And the more people who own the same vehicle, the more troubleshooting tips you will find on the internet.
Just join a club. I have no difficulty finding parts, advice, or technical info on my jensen healey even though there are less than 3000 of them. In fact there is even a car parts store that specializes in jensen healey parts. Junkyard parts are not hard to find either, but seldom necessary. Usually someone in the cliub has the part you need sitting in their garage.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:26 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,444,154 times
I didn't go looking for it, but my Wrangler is the "Renegade" model, and I've only seen two others in the city.

When I had my Charger, it was the first year with "Dark Titanium Clearcoat" paint, and I was litterally the first one in the city with it. I got all kinds of compliments for a 6 months until it started showing up around every corner.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:47 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,181,427 times
Well, yes and no.

I like vehicles that might be more exclusive but they need to bring more than mere rarity to the table. My DD is a Volvo V50 T5 AWD. In the US, V50's are rare, T5's are rarer and the AWD version rarer still. And each level is useful or fun, the wagon part lets me carry the carload of stuff that I carry for work, the T5 gives me the juice I want when I mash the pedal, and the AWD gets through snow like like the viking it is. It's all part of the package and it's worth (to me) the extra cost.

The bride has a Mercedes 380SL as a summer car. It's fairly exclusive but it ticks several boxes on the way to being exclusive. It's a convertible, for top down fun (if the sun ever comes out) , it's a mid 80's Mercedes and the build quality is well above what many cars offer 20+ years later, the ride is supple but not wallowy, it's a pleasure to drive in that indescribable way that German vehicles manage to deliver.

I'm on the search for a series Land Rover. I had one a couple decades ago and driving it made me happy. I had to sell it for financial reasons, they are quite exclusive but it's more than the exclusiveness that attracts me.

Baldrick, I think you'll appreciate this one. Look at what is waiting for us when we make our move-

Old 04-28-2013, 09:26 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,444,154 times
^^^ Nice Cherokee!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive