Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2013, 04:32 PM

490 posts, read 838,416 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Just got a new car (Honda Civic) and was wondering the following:

1. I'm leaning towards not getting my car tinted. I'm in California and legally you're not supposed to
tint the windshield or driver or front passenger windows. I find that it looks weird to have only the
rears tinted. I might be able to get away with some light tinting up front, just for UV protection,
and that might help making the all-around tint job not look as weird.

I was wondering if there's significant real benefits to using tint to protect your skin from sun damage;
also, are there real benefits to having the tint to protect the dash areas (front and above rear seats)
from sun damage? Or can I adequately protect using some interior care product that cleans and
protects the dash? I think the Optimum Leather Cleaner/Interior Cleaner product claims to have UV
protection.

2. Have only had my car for 1 month, 2k mi on it so far, and i've not gotten used to remembering this
newer car is quieter, so i have found on 4 occasions i've started the car in parking lot, shortly after
i had already started it like 30 seconds to 1 minute earlier. It causes this embarrassing and
uncomfortable sound, that sort of sounds like a knife sharpener..

I'm kicking myself for making the mistake 4 times in a month... haven't done it again since, but
am worried now that i've done some damage to the flywheel and starter (that's what I read).. that
there are teeth that can get damaged. And it's expensive to fix.

How concerned should I be? I guess it's hard to tell if there's damage and how much, right?

The car starts fine, no problem there, so it seems to be ok...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 04:51 PM

24,479 posts, read 26,017,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsdude View Post
Hi All,

Just got a new car (Honda Civic) and was wondering the following:

1. I'm leaning towards not getting my car tinted. I'm in California and legally you're not supposed to
tint the windshield or driver or front passenger windows. I find that it looks weird to have only the
rears tinted. I might be able to get away with some light tinting up front, just for UV protection,
and that might help making the all-around tint job not look as weird.

I was wondering if there's significant real benefits to using tint to protect your skin from sun damage;
also, are there real benefits to having the tint to protect the dash areas (front and above rear seats)
from sun damage? Or can I adequately protect using some interior care product that cleans and
protects the dash? I think the Optimum Leather Cleaner/Interior Cleaner product claims to have UV
protection.

2. Have only had my car for 1 month, 2k mi on it so far, and i've not gotten used to remembering this
newer car is quieter, so i have found on 4 occasions i've started the car in parking lot, shortly after
i had already started it like 30 seconds to 1 minute earlier. It causes this embarrassing and
uncomfortable sound, that sort of sounds like a knife sharpener..

I'm kicking myself for making the mistake 4 times in a month... haven't done it again since, but
am worried now that i've done some damage to the flywheel and starter (that's what I read).. that
there are teeth that can get damaged. And it's expensive to fix.

How concerned should I be? I guess it's hard to tell if there's damage and how much, right?

The car starts fine, no problem there, so it seems to be ok...
I'm in CA and tinted the driver and passenger windows 1 shade darker than stock in 2004, they back and rear and rear windows are alot darker no issues with the tint police. It looks good and I'm happy.

I'd be pretty safe in saying that many people have bumped the starter again and heard that awful clang and given them selves a I would say, no, you haven't done any real damage. Just don't do it again.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:59 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,049,875 times
1. Tint does help keep a car cooler. What kind of tint you can have depends on local laws. Get a dashboard sun protector. They're cheap.

2. You're probably not going to cause any damage by momentarily engaging the starter when the car is running. You'd have to keep it engaged, and for quite awhile, before it'd do any serious damage.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:09 PM

490 posts, read 838,416 times
Thanks guys. I have a dashboard sunprotector for the front, but the plastic near the rear window also gets beat by the sun depending on where my car is parked relative to the sunlight.
Maybe I can just put a cloth or something to cover that area. Don't want my interior to discolor or crack/dry up because of too much sun exposure.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:35 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,425,421 times
For the plastic, use a protactant... there are lots (I use vinylex, lots of people like aerospace 303), pick one and use it... just *NOT* "armor all", probably one of the worst things you could use. Right on up there with one of the most hyped, worst possible item you could use, as WD40.

For the starting thing, there's a sprag-clutch (it's the sound you hear, works like a ratchet) that spins with the engine so when you hit the starter again it's doing nothing harmful. There's no reason for the noise, it's added for Your benefit to try and remind you that... *ahem* you've already started the engine. You'll stop doing it sooner or later and it'll stop being an issue then.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:56 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,226,709 times
Tinting is one of my top mods to be done to a vehicle. I have it done on all of mine, usually all the way around. It is very helpful in keeping the car cool on the brightest of days, keeps your eyes protected from unwanted glare and direct light... its an overall positive effect that you have to experience to understand. Tint combined with full and properly fitting sunshade is the best defense against UV damage. The sunshades only take a few seconds to take on and off once you're used to them. In most states/areas tint laws are not actively enforced, a lot of cops have it on their own personal vehicles. They (cops) do not like to approach a vehicle and not be able to see the driver and they will likely ticket for it. Do them the favor of rolling down the windows and putting your hands on the top of the steering wheel if you are pulled over and I can almost guarantee they won't mention the tint.

Don't worry about the starter or flywheel, they can take some abuse, just don't make a habit of it.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:22 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
Get yourself a Dash Mat, that's what a lot of us do in AZ and they last a lifetime.
DashMat Carpet Dashboard Cover, Original Dash Mat | Car-Truck-Accessories.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive