Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 05:52 PM

86 posts, read 167,298 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a new car, and even though I would like a truck I know in this economy with gas so high a truck is a bad choice. However for me finding a comfortable car is not an easy thing to find either. Due to the fact that I am 6'1 and 270 lbs. When I own a vehicle I keep it for at least nine years or longer so I want something that I can trust to pass onto my daughter who at six years of age is already taller than four feet.

If you want a budget then say under $25,000 and no older than 2007.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 06:36 PM

551 posts, read 1,122,524 times
Get a Subaru Forester 32mpg highway 24 city. 2014 versions start at $21,000 im sure you can find a great deal on an older model. Their All whell is legendary and they are reliable, you wont be disappointed.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:58 PM

427 posts, read 948,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxon75 View Post
I am looking for a new car, and even though I would like a truck I know in this economy with gas so high a truck is a bad choice. However for me finding a comfortable car is not an easy thing to find either. Due to the fact that I am 6'1 and 270 lbs. When I own a vehicle I keep it for at least nine years or longer so I want something that I can trust to pass onto my daughter who at six years of age is already taller than four feet.

Thanks
At 270, you don't want a car. Too hard to lift yourself out of it. Get something that you step up into. Not plop down into. Not all trucks or SUVs get poor mileage.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:06 PM

307 posts, read 685,476 times
I'm 6'2" and 235 pounds and I drive a Corolla and I fit fine. Not the best but I fit. Any mid size car will do.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:48 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,515,659 times
I'm 6' 4" and the Chevy Cruze has more legroom than I could use. I actually had to pull the seat up a bit! I didn't buy one, but it has more legroom than any compact car on the market (and I test drove them all).

Old 05-20-2013, 08:04 PM

805 posts, read 1,873,763 times
My 6'3" son is happy with his Camry. How about a Honda CRV or RAV4

Old 05-20-2013, 08:43 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,108,329 times
If Shaq can fit in a Buick, so can you.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:54 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
There is a difference between fitting and fitting comfortably on a long trip. I would suggest a truck of van or at least a full sized sedan or coupe. I am fairly tall (6'1") and very leggy. I have a family passed problem with stiffness as I age. A considerable number of cars are simply painful on a long trip. Airplanes are hell. Based on my experience with pain from long trips in various rental cars I would stay away from pretty much all economy cars, hybrids, Japanese or Korean cars, and sports cars.

I was recently surprised driving my dads new Buick Verano for a week. When I got into our Volvo wagon I thought the seat was stuck and not going back fully. The Verano had a LOT more room for my legs.

Do not go by reported inches of legroom. It is not the answer. The inches matter less than how the legroom is configured.

The pP is correct, it is much easier to step up into a vehicle than to fold yourself down tino one. Is it much easier to slide out of a truck or van then to climb up out of a car.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:15 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgix6 View Post
I'm 6'2" and 235 pounds and I drive a Corolla and I fit fine. Not the best but I fit. Any mid size car will do.
This thread caught my eye in the sidebar. I'm a 6'1" woman, and I also drive a Corolla. I've noticed, though, that I've got this achey spot now in the upper middle of my back, and I think it's the way I sit in the car. Cars, houses, and office furniture are not made for tall people. I'm trying to consciously sit up straighter while driving to get rid of that pain.

I used to drive an old Ford Aerostar van when my daughter was small and I drove her and her friends around for horseback lessons and Girl Scout events. It was so much more comfortable, but I don't need a van now. I need a small car with good gas mileage that's reliable.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:39 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,001,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxon75 View Post

Thanks
6'1" isn't really all that tall. I'm a few inches shy of being an NBA gazillionaire. I shop for cars with "legroom" as my absolute number one criterion. I drive a Nissan Altima. It has the best front legroom of any car other than a couple models of Jaguar. Try one out.

And best of all, they're not butt ugly and they get decent mileage. I'm not going to rave about the car. It's a boring sedan. But it's a COMFORTABLE boring sedan. Especially for those of us with a 36"+ inseam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive