Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 10:03 PM

19,054 posts, read 27,627,799 times

Advertisements

You are not just tall. You are tall and obese. I am 6'5'' and weigh 224 as of yesterday and today. And very broad shouldered.
I think, I have good right to share what I found to be a very comfortable car, if your knees can do lower seats.
And, I also owned a Silverado, which is American standard for "big'n tall" crowd.
So, Silverado is on consignment, and I am most comfortable in 2007 Camry Hybrid. VERY. Like I said, as far as your knees can tolerate lower sitting.
Otherwise, the only other car that I was really comfortable in was Mitsubishi Montero.
As of gas mileage, I closed today at 40.5 average mpg, and it will climb up higher as it warms up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 10:27 PM

483 posts, read 1,560,154 times
When I read the title I thought you were 6'7" or something. I'm about 6'2" and I've driven dozens of cars, including subcompact rentals, and I fit in them all. Your problem is not your height, it's being 270 lbs.

Drop 80 lbs and suddenly every car will feel comfortable. Not to mention you'll gain 2mpg fuel economy.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:55 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,571,299 times
I'm 6-3 and 230, and have driven my 2007 Elantra from Los Angeles to Albuquerque to visit my brother, and then on to Norman OK, and back via El Paso & Phoenix, and I've driven to Tucson the past three years with no discomfort--only the stop every two hours routine for snacks and to stretch my legs; this car has best-in-its-class interior room and enormous legroom front & back for everybody.

At 270 lbs. it wouldn't work for you, but several full-size sedans out there should do the trick.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:43 PM

774 posts, read 1,694,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyDavis View Post
At 270, you don't want a car. Too hard to lift yourself out of it.
Oh, this is monumentally sad. Frankly the exercise sounds like a good idea.

Merkins are so fat that they have to get industrial vehicles to waddle in and out of

Old 05-21-2013, 01:50 AM

36 posts, read 114,404 times
My brother is 6'7, 230lbs and drives a Civic! He loves that little car but is quite uncomfortable. He had a Camry some years ago and had no complaints about it (could be because it was free from our parents Idk).

Old 05-21-2013, 02:02 AM

16,674 posts, read 17,444,965 times
As has been mentioned already 6' 1" isn't particularly tall these days.

People have got taller over the decades and I've found that at my 6' 2", with long legs, that even small cars accommodate me with ease.

I don't put the seat all the way back in even my wife's Fiat 500, and there's plenty of head room.

It's your size that is the issue, so just go try out vehicles that you fancy and have a good test drive.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:42 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,001,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
As has been mentioned already 6' 1" isn't particularly tall these days.

People have got taller over the decades and I've found that at my 6' 2", with long legs, that even small cars accommodate me with ease.
I WISH I was 6'2". I can only imagine how much better it would be in airplanes, concert seats, and everything else where I am expected to fold my frame up like origami just to fit.

I am lucky that I have perfected the "take pity on me, gate attendant" thing at the airport. Usually they take one look at me and simply give me their best legroom seat. I did a long-haul to China a few years back. The gate attendant took one look at me, motioned me over and said, "36 C." On that airline, 36 C had two seats worth of leg room, because of the position of the flight attendants jump seats and the emergency exit.

Small cars do not accommodate me at all, let alone "with ease." The Nissan Altima and (of all things) most full-size domestic pick-up trucks are doable.

I can't even fit into many SUVs. They have surprisingly little legroom considering how massive those things are.

Here's the 2013 list. The Altima has fallen a bit since I bought mine. But it's still within an inch or so of the top legroom sedans:

Top 10 Best Cars for Tall Drivers for 2013

Old 05-21-2013, 05:25 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
I almost forgot. . . my daughters 1992 lincoln town car. the only car I can remember ever driving that I did not put the seat all the way back as far as it will go.
leg room is important but the height of the seat off the floor of the car is also majorly important. that is why vans are so comfortable. trucks too but not as much as vans

Old 05-21-2013, 06:08 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,426,982 times
Toss in another 6'4" (and an honest, barefooted 6'4" at that ~ 34" inseam and "tall" shirts only) driver. Airplane seats give me the same fits as everyone else ~ knees crammed against the seats infront of me, and to memory there's only 1 car/vehicle I was uncomfortable in. That was a mid 90's, base line toyota tacoma ~the cab was just too small. Hundreds of work contracts (and rental vehicles) later, I've not found one that gives me issue... and these are Exclusively low-end, compact and sub-compact cars. There are a ton of Other issues with these cars, but not fitment... granted, I'm only 250lbs at ~17% body fat (fit, in other words).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Based on my experience with pain from long trips in various rental cars I would stay away from pretty much all economy cars, hybrids, Japanese or Korean cars, and sports cars.
Yup, those are the cars I find no issue with. Heck, 2 of the Best, most comfortable cars I've owned (and done 800~1000 mile days, and at least 1 2500~2700 mile 3-day trip in both) were a 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo... and that seat was 3 notches from all the way back, and my current 2001 VW Jetta that I drive roughly 20~22k miles a year (though I'm maxing out the seat/space). At 40, I'm perched on top of that hill that will soon lead me into more pain/discomfort ~ have typical big-guy joint paints now (and have for well over a decade, I seriously think they never stopped from when I initially grew at 13). Driving stops are determined by my wifes bladder, and when I'm alone I can usually make it a half-tank (400 miles, it's a diesel) before wanting to get out and stretch. Small cars can work very well... at least the Germans I've owned have done so for me.

OOpps, just remembered another car I was miserable in, 'twas an '00s Firebird ~ completely amazed me that such a Boat of a car would have so little interior space.

For the OP, start your shopping with some other criteria. This one doesn't narrow Anything down. And, it should be quite clear, the same car doesn't work for all people. I'd suggest putting together 3 or 4 lists of 3~4 cars... a list for the truck/suv/van segment, one for crossovers (suv-look on a car chassis), one for mid-full size sedans or wagons and one for compact to mid size cars. Then go sit in them, test drive them and see what fits You the best. Because that's the answer here, not what fits, but what fits you Best.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:31 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,767,735 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by saxon75

I am looking for a new car, and even though I
would like a truck I know in this economy with gas so high a truck is a bad
choice. However for me finding a comfortable car is not an easy thing to find
either. Due to the fact that I am 6'1 and 270 lbs. When I own a vehicle I keep
it for at least nine years or longer so I want something that I can trust to
pass onto my daughter who at six years of age is already taller than four feet.

If you want a budget then say under $25,000 and no older than 2007.
As you get older comfort will outweigh mileage gains. I'm also tall and in my younger years I could fit into a Subaru Legacy with ease. As I got older I replaced it with a Lexus RX, because standing up from such a low position took its toll. As I got further in age it got upgraded to a Lexus GX. It was fine for numerous years as climbing up into a vehicle was much easier. Now I added a used 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE to my fleet and wished I had purchased it years ago. The comfort is unbelievable. Easy in and easy out. Best $8200 I ever spent. Don't look for something to pass down 10 years from now because whatever you believe, your kid will not want to be seen driving it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive