Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 01:48 PM

973 posts, read 1,453,636 times

Advertisements

I got lucky during a storm in which a tree fell on my vehicle. Did nothing to the Vehicle except the rear view came off the windshield. Well, 3rd attempt at getting it glued back on with the mirror kits in 2 weeks, and the mirror just fell off today. This last kit was a larger one with a little sandpaper and all that. I even let the button set up for 24 hours before mounting the mirror to it.

Is there anything else that will work? Gorilla Glue maybe?

I have done these kits in the past with no problem. I don't know why it is giving me this headache now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 01:50 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,255,219 times
You are not prepping or following the directions correctly. Use the kit, follow the directions and it will stay "forever"

Old 06-25-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
You are not prepping or following the directions correctly. Use the kit, follow the directions and it will stay "forever"
Yes I am following the instructions. Prepping, Cleaning, Priming, Gluing and set. Last time I just added more time to the set. Last 2 times, I even had the instructions in front of me to make sure I did it by their instructions. As I have said in the first post, I used the kits before without a problem. Don't know why it is not working now.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:26 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,106,413 times
Some kits are better than others. I use Permatex rearview mirror adhesive. They make several kinds, the best one is the one where there is two different liquids. The first you smear on the glass and the button after cleaning/sanding a bit. Wait 5 minutes. Then, you use the glue on the button, and you have to act quick because it starts to react with the first liquid almost immediately. Press and hold the button onto the glass for about 30 sec to a minute. After that, let go and give it 15 minutes to set completely. Come back and put the mirror back on.

Works MUCH better than gorilla glue, I've tried that before. I've even tried JB Weld's Clear Weld before and that doesn't work nearly as well as the Permatex stuff either.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:33 PM

This last kit is Permatex.. still had the package. It came with a razor blade, sandpaper, alcohol pad, cleaner / primer and a little tube of glue. Lasted 2 days. It is failing on the windshield not the button. Just went out and did cleaning with some alcohol pads.

I hear loctight has a good kit too but have not seen it around. Heck, might just be the same type glue anyways.

Going to try Napa instead of Advance Auto. I just read that old stock of glue might give this problem.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:50 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,378,814 times
I used JB weld I believe on the last vehicle I had that issue. It never fell off again. Had to hold it on for quite a bit while it started hardening, however.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:03 PM

I'm don't think that Permatex kit is the right one. The one I use has no cleaner, it's a 2 part adhesive.

EDIT: Autozone carries it, p/n 81844.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
I'm don't think that Permatex kit is the right one. The one I use has no cleaner, it's a 2 part adhesive.

EDIT: Autozone carries it, p/n 81844.
Thanks. I will see if I can find that one around. The Cleaner / Primer I had was a peel open foil pack with a clothish type wipe stuck to the inside with a green liquid imbedded in it.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:17 PM

No problem. I hope it works for you. For cleaning, I also spray a bit of brake cleaner on a clean rag and wipe the windshield down first where the button goes.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:20 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,236,051 times
I used the Permatex too. BUT be careful. When I last replaced the mirror in my '95 F150, I followed the directions to a T. I sat back, then a few seconds later I heard some creaking, and the windshield split from top to bottom in a nearly perfectly straight line. I was told that the heat from the catalyst caused the windshield to expand too quickly, blah, blah, blah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive