Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2013, 10:00 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,478,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Funny, nowhere in defensive driving courses I've taken have I been told "the speed limit doesn't matter". Not once. Where the heck are YOU taking defensive driving courses?

Of course, that could be because the vast majority of the people in the courses were there for speeding tickets.
You are 100% basing everything on theory. Yes, if everybody obeyed the speed limit, all would be well.

Reality, the general public does not obey the speed limit. The majority dont grossly disobey either. This is the flow.

I actually remember multiple defensive driving classes where the very question comes up on what to do when you need to merge onto a speeding freeway when the "flow" is going faster then the posted speed limit. The answer every time and the answer I in the drivers manuals, match the speed. Is safer.

The "flow" is referred in just about every manual. And every manual where the flow is mentioned, the omit the wording of speed limits. It doesnt take much common sense to get this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 11:02 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusStrip View Post
I have not read the whole thread but may I say what I hate? LEFT EXITS off the highway. I am one of those who stays in the right or middle lane and goes the speed limit. I am still going to go the speed limit in the left lane. I am not going to enjoy it but I am going to be there. Praying I don't get hit. And if someone decides to ride my rear, we'll go 5 miles under the speed limit. Sorry speeders.
If you're only there to take the left exit then fine, but don't get over until the last mile or so before exiting. You don't have to get over 10 miles before the exit.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:27 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Funny, nowhere in defensive driving courses I've taken have I been told "the speed limit doesn't matter". Not once. Where the heck are YOU taking defensive driving courses?

Of course, that could be because the vast majority of the people in the courses were there for speeding tickets.
It must puzzle the heck out of you as to why car manufacturers make most cars capable of speeds that are double or even triple any given posted speed limit on the nations highways. Maybe you should send a letter to the government asking that all cars be relegated to go no faster than.....55mph?
You must have just hated this guy.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:15 PM

798 posts, read 1,033,642 times
Quote:

Thanks for twisting my words. When I said there's a difference between the law and defensive driving, it meant more than the speed limit. For example, the law says that if you arrive at a 4-way intersection first, then you have the right-of-way. However, defensive driving says that if the other person decides to move first, then you should just let them, instead of following the law precisely and getting into a car accident.

Yes, the black and white sign on the freeway say 65 mph. Yes, you can drive in the middle lane at 65 mph. Yes, the person speeding behind you will have to slow down for you, and there's nothing they can do about it. If this makes you feel better, then by all means, continue to do what you please. However, as a courteous driver, I will pull to the right in order to let a speeder go by as long as there is space in the right lane. No one's asking you to swerve in the right lane and cause a wreck. I'm also not going to drive in the left lane at 65 mph when the law is slower traffic keep right and the flow of traffic is 75 mph. There are two laws: slower traffic keep right and the speed limit. It doesn't matter that everyone else is speeding; you are part of slower traffic. So you can follow both laws and drive in the right lanes at the speed limit. Now you are following the law and there are no problems for you. You don't even have to worry about the speeders anymore, which isn't your job anyway. There are cops for a reason.

They say that Germans are the best drivers in the world because people stay in their lane, pass on the left, drive with the flow of traffic, are in tune with their environment, and allow people to pass by moving to the right, along with many other things. No, America isn't Germany, but it would be nice if the freeways here flowed like the ones in Germany.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:31 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
You are a contributor to road rage, unnecessary traffic, and potential accidents. No driver has the right to play cop and slow somebody else down because you dont like somebody on your rear.

The best thing anybody can do if somebody is tailgating is ignore them. (Assuming you are in the left to get off on the left exit) If you are not, you are in the wrong lane.
The person is trying to make a left exit! Why should they have to speed and drive like a maniac? Blame the high designers for that! And the only one to blame for road rage is the one who's acting like a psycho. You need to learn to control your behavior and not throw a temper tantrum like a 2 year old because someone wants off the highway. How exactly do you ignore someone who's tailgating?

Old 07-08-2013, 03:35 PM

427 posts, read 947,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
You are a contributor to road rage, unnecessary traffic, and potential accidents. No driver has the right to play cop and slow somebody else down because you dont like somebody on your rear.

The best thing anybody can do if somebody is tailgating is ignore them. (Assuming you are in the left to get off on the left exit) If you are not, you are in the wrong lane.
I'm not playing cop. I just take the speed limit literally.

And I take no offense toward any driver passing me on either the right or the left. Both lanes are equally functional for that purpose.

Last edited by CindyDavis; 07-08-2013 at 04:30 PM..

Old 07-08-2013, 04:06 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
I was four blocks from my left turn today when I nearly got rear ended while doing 10 over. Passed on the right, cut off so the driver could beat me to the next left turn. I watched where he went. Straight to the neighborhood liquor store. Insanity. Defend him.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:29 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyDavis View Post
I just take the speed limit literally.
What about the other traffic laws that you don't seem to like (or fear) as much?
Do you take them literally?

Most states follow the Uniform Vehicle Code and require drivers to keep right if they are
going slower than the normal speed of traffic
Six states require drivers to move right if they are blocking traffic in the left lane.
A few states permit use of the left lane only for passing or turning left.

What is the law in YOUR state?

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

Old 07-08-2013, 04:33 PM

427 posts, read 947,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
What about the other traffic laws that you don't seem to like (or fear) as much?
Do you take them seriously?
Actually, yes, I do.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:34 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,109,604 times
Law or no law, I find it extremely stressful if I'm in the left lane and being tailgated. If someone wants to drive faster than me, I'm happy to move over to the right lane and let them pass. When in the right or middle lane, I can cruise along at whatever speed I want, and not be stressed out because the people behind me can just move over and pass.

If you actually enjoy riding in the left lane, getting tailgated and passed on the right all day long, you are one sick bastard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive