Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2013, 12:33 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times

Advertisements

Doing a little more research, I noticed that several states that make it illegal to drive slow in the left lane define what driving slow in the left lane is. It appears to be pretty consistent in states that have such laws that it is defined as anything slower than 10 mph BELOW the speed limit in the left lane. Because, of course, driving the speed limit isn't driving slow. So anyone who is driving the speed limit in the left lane is not going to be ticketed for either impeding traffic OR for driving too slow, and if they are, they're going to get off (and the ticketing officer if he does it too often is likely to get a ding on his record).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 12:41 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
I just want to know what everyone's damn hurry is! You'll get there...be it in one piece or in a body bag. I, for one, choose not to go the body bag route. I also wonder how old some of these posters are. Certain ones sound like 20 somethings who know everything about the world......I remember being that young and driving like a maniac. Compared to some of the things I see now, I drove like an old lady!

Old 07-07-2013, 12:42 PM

437 posts, read 649,953 times
*chuckles* .... There's a lot of 'feistiness' on this thread, with understanding. We have people from rural areas, city dwellers, truckers, motorcyclists, Europeans, and there are the Floridians. *wink*

EVERY area is going to have it's own set of "rules". Now I'm not talkin' LAW here, just an unspoken way of driving, whether ya like it or not. Doesn't make it RIGHT, and yet no matter how much I may not be able to handle the way Floridians drive, that's how they drive! I'm no more able to get the older folk to turn their keys over and start taking public transportation, for everyone's safety, as I am to have city drivers calm the fook DOWN and go with the flow.

As a motorcyclist, or was, til vertigo recently took that joy away, I was ALWAYS a responsible rider. And every time I was out on mine, some turd with speed between his legs and no brains between his ears, would pass me doing a wheelie, or bob and weave in and out of fast moving traffic, or go between cars/lanes, just to get up front. smh......

The only thing I can do is be as defensive as possible, and drive with an offensive mindset. I wholeheartedly agree with the post, early on, about those who are driving without a thought about what's going on around them. That's the dang truth. And it's not just relegated to driving! It's walking down a sidewalk and being bumped off the curb, 'cause someone was too busy texting or talking on the phone, and "didn't see you", 2 feet away!

I didn't take offense to the comment about how Europeans will "do this or that" and wishing Americans would do the same. I thought it was helpful, as opposed to elitist. And there ya go... it's all in perception. I read the comment as a thought that may be helpful. *shrugs*

What is one person's way of doing things is gonna be a thorn in the side of the person next to ya.

Courtesy. It's all about COURTESY. And THAT, my fellow posters, is the problem, as I see it. There's no courtesy being shown anymore.... and maybe it never was. And ya can't teach a person to CARE.

Shame, huh? :/

bullie~

Old 07-07-2013, 01:13 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,627,821 times
Yeah, you can pass laws but forcing courtesy on people is like forcing any other behavioral pattern. This ain't the 40's - 50's anymore when we had two lane roads and people waved whether they knew you or not.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:55 PM

870 posts, read 1,570,613 times
I had fun on Interstate 70 today.

Some guy was in the left lane not passing anyone, just camping out. Cars would come up behind him and then he started to speed up to the car next to him the right lane and ride next to them. This one person caused so much havoc on the road. I got fed up called the Ohio State Police and reported this driver. He did get over, but then he started to speed like crazy, probably going 80+ mph. I exited off the interstate, but I hope got stopped because Ohio is somewhat strict on speeders. But it seems like you can drive slow in the passing lane, run red lights and stop signs, and tailgate all you want without getting a ticket.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:58 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
jambo101, so it's your opinion (by the way, I've been driving for 48 going on 49 years now, how long have you?) that breaking the speed limit is just "a given" and so doesn't count?

Got you beat by a year..
Never said breaking the speed limit doesnt count its just my experience that almost every one goes over the speed limit and they dont like to be held up by some one who thinks they own the passing lane just because they are going the speed limit ,i'm sure you are also aware of that fact so to go out in the passing lane and take half an hour to pass a car because you dont want to exceed the speed limit makes me wonder why you'd be out in the passing lane in the first place,
Your rationale that no one should exceed the posted speed limit while admirable and looks real good on paper it just doesnt work in reality where probably 90% of motorists exceed the speed limit to some degree and use the passing lane to pass slower moving cars.
Obviously our driving styles differ so you play in the passing lane at the speed limit,and i'll pass you on the right if need be, .

Old 07-07-2013, 02:00 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,595,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
I'm from California and have seen the guy doing 65 mph in the fast lane holding up traffic. People behind are getting pissing off shifting from lane to lane trying to get around the moron who may be legally in the right, but the people behind him think he should be executed to cleanse the gene pool.

However, last Friday the wife and I are coming home in the Corvette from town (Reno) doing about 75 mph, passing people on the right, and going with the flow including the guy 7 car lengths in front of me. Some guy in a 20 year old beatup Dodge is on my a$$ trying to pass me after each time I pass someone on the right. He finally gets around me and cuts into my comfort zone causing me to slowdown to put distance between me and his $500 car.

Two extremes from different perspectives. How much over the speed limit should we be going, and should we all have to sacrifice our speed going with the flow. because some moron behind you wants to 5 mph faster than the flow?
"dumbass in a pickup" is a well documented phenomenon. Routinely they're the worst/most dangerous drivers on the road. There has to be some link between pickups and the types of personalities that are attracted to them that has to explain it.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:11 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Got you beat by a year..
Never said breaking the speed limit doesnt count its just my experience that almost every one goes over the speed limit and they dont like to be held up by some one who thinks they own the passing lane just because they are going the speed limit ,i'm sure you are also aware of that fact so to go out in the passing lane and take half an hour to pass a car because you dont want to exceed the speed limit makes me wonder why you'd be out in the passing lane in the first place,
Your rationale that no one should exceed the posted speed limit while admirable and looks real good on paper it just doesnt work in reality where probably 90% of motorists exceed the speed limit to some degree and use the passing lane to pass slower moving cars.
Obviously our driving styles differ so you play in the passing lane at the speed limit,and i'll pass you on the right if need be, .
And AGAIN you didn't pay any attention to my post stating that I'm never in the left lane unless I'm passing someone. One does wonder just how much attention you pay on the actual road if you can't catch that when it's said several times and at least once specifically directed to you in a discussion you're participating in.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:15 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,595,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
This isn't Europe in case you hadn't noticed. Also flashing your lights at others can get you a ticket in some states.
Ain't that the truth.

Germany, of course, is the undisputed king of driving. Almost everybody has a clear understanding of what to do and what not to do out on the autobahns. That doesn't necessarily mean driving 100+ mph either. It means being trusted enough to operate a 3,000-6,000 lb machine within it's safety limits under the given the conditions.

But driving is more of an expensive privilege in places like that, so naturally the task is taken more seriously. America was built primarily around the automobile (not transit), and as such, it had/has to be accessible to nearly everybody. When you make something accessible to nearly everybody, that includes the idiots and incompetents.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:29 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,625,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
It's illegal to flash to warn of speed traps already.

No it is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive