Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 12:03 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times

Advertisements

I've come to the conclusion a lot of posters have never passed a crash with body bags lined up. And did they pay attention to the blood & guts shows the state police or highway patrol presented each year to junior high and up kids at school? One vivid memory I still have is that of two naked kids strapped to gurneys wearying nothing but the straps, one across the chest and one across the groin. I don't hold up any traffic in the left lane unless they want to really NASCAR it and the other lanes are already bumper to bumper and I've only got a safe distance in front of me to the next car. There is simply no where to go. Some people just get in the left lane and try to part the Red Sea. They ride your bumper while you are still passing everything on the right. They just want to pass at 20mph faster. Complete idiots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 12:25 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I was four blocks from my left turn today when I nearly got rear ended while doing 10 over. Passed on the right, cut off so the driver could beat me to the next left turn. I watched where he went. Straight to the neighborhood liquor store. Insanity. Defend him.
I won't defend him as your story makes no sense. If he passed you on the right, and then cut back left in front of you, how were you 'nearly rear-ended'? Did you mean that you nearly rear-ended him?

Old 07-09-2013, 12:41 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
I don't hold up any traffic in the left lane unless they want to really NASCAR it and the other lanes are already bumper to bumper and I've only got a safe distance in front of me to the next car. There is simply no where to go.
Obviously we arent talking about which lane you are in when traffic is extremely heavy.
Pick any lane you like.
http://stwot.motortrend.com/files/20...y-traffic.jpeg

The topic is more addressing this rather embellished scenario.
http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/def...?itok=j7h_ttjj

As for the potential for death on the highways? 40K people a year pay that ultimate price for driving, Driving is inherently dangerous if you find the risks of driving to be outweighing your sense of safety maybe its time to hang em up.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
I won't defend him as your story makes no sense. If he passed you on the right, and then cut back left in front of you, how were you 'nearly rear-ended'? Did you mean that you nearly rear-ended him?
He nearly rear ended me before swerving to pass and then cut back over so fast to avoid missing the left turn he wanted to make at the same place I was turning left.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Obviously we arent talking about which lane you are in when traffic is extremely heavy.
Pick any lane you like.
http://stwot.motortrend.com/files/20...y-traffic.jpeg

The topic is more addressing this rather embellished scenario.
http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/def...?itok=j7h_ttjj

As for the potential for death on the highways? 40K people a year pay that ultimate price for driving, Driving is inherently dangerous if you find the risks of driving to be outweighing your sense of safety maybe its time to hang em up.
I'm talking about those that want the left lane open regardless of traffic so they don't have to pass on the right. Those who want each car they run up on to force their way over in between cars already running a close as they should be together. They just want to push each car one at a time through miles of traffic that is heavy. They only gain one car link at a time. One split second faster to their destination. Total lack of concern for the safety of themselves or anyone else.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:22 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Actually it's not that dangerous. There are 200 million drivers in the US. Only 3% get into accidents each year, and only .001% of those are serious enough to be fatal, half of which are still caused by alcohol.

That means 97% of drivers are avoiding accidents (even minor scuffs) each year. That doesn't sound statistically inherently dangerous. It CAN be dangerous, but it's not inherently dangerous.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:39 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,475 times
Quote:
He nearly rear ended me before swerving to pass and then cut back over so fast to avoid missing the left turn he wanted to make at the same place I was turning left.
Gotcha. Yeah, he's an assclown.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:48 PM

437 posts, read 649,690 times
This thread is interesting to me, not strictly based on the place of residence, and the personalities attached.

When I was in my 20's, I could care LESS what anyone thought about the laws, what I did, what the ramifications were, etc...

In my 30's, I started to become more aware of complications in my 20-something thinking, but didn't do much about it. I was very much "in charge".

My 40's came and went and I started to realize, LATE into my 40's, admittedly so, that I'm not immortal. A few close calls, whether by my own hands on the steering wheel, and/or on foot, or on my motorcycle, trying to save my own life, gave me a sober look at what is possible, through no fault of my own. *and that's not taking into account the times I was a jerk*

Now in my second year of my 50's, I can say that I am understanding more and more the difference between me and MY thinking, and that of the individual next to me, on the city streets/highway/urban roads or for that matter, the grocery store. I think the closer you get to heading down the "other side of the bell curve", the more you embrace the ways of those who don't think like you, don't act as you do, cannot understand where/what/why things are as they are, and are open to an 'aha moment'; where you start showing some respect for all those differences.

As I drive on the "mean streets" of my city, I have recently been touched by the differences between ME and MY experience behind the wheel/handlebars, and everyone else. Just like religion, people will use the messages they "hear/have learned/know is right/forgot/refuse to acknowledge", in whatever fashion behooves them, in the NOW.

And so......if someone is younger than me, I can sorta "get it". And if someone is OLDER than me, I know I have no CLUE yet, and should either hush my mouth, take what they say with a grain of salt, or dismiss it BUT NOT FORGET IT, 'cause it's NEVER.GOING.TO.CHANGE.FOR THEM. And if I want 'harmony', I'd better learn to walk around whatever thought process I have, that doesn't jive with theirs.

Someone who has lived longer than I, gets a pass. *this obviously excludes all Floridians as I have stated earlier, they are exempt. Ain't NO WAY yer gonna teach a senior in FL that what they're doing is wrong. Don't try. Wasted energy. Stop even thinking about it.* Let's move on, shall we? "And we're WALKING, and we're WALKING...."

Respect is something we're TAUGHT. There are those of us who use the thought process of respect in all aspects of our lives, and some, *read most*, pick and choose when it should/will be applied, as it applies to THEM.

"Debates" like this crack me up, because no matter the age, the place they live, the education of said individual, the "laws" are compared to a series of experiences that person has already endured. Almost everything is subjective. "THIS IS THE LAW".... "THIS IS THE LAW IN MY AREA OF TOWN AND IT'S HOW WE DO IT".... "I'M ONLY TRYING TO SAVE MY LIFE".... "HE ALMOST KILLED ME! YOUNG WHIPPER SNAPPER IS GONNA GIT HIS".... "IT MAY BE RIGHT, BUT DAMNIT, I'M GONNA DO WHATEVER THE FOOK I WANT"... "WHY DOESN'T EVERYONE GET THAT THIS IS THE BEST WAY TO DO IT?"............... I'm RIGHT, damnit!!!!!!!

Drunks, teens and 20-somethings, the elderly, assclowns, narcissists, people rushing to their next destination, distracted fooks, people eating or texting while driving, <-----read assclowns again, ALL have one thing in common; They don't give a CRAP what you think about their driving skills, or lack of them.

Discuss til yer blue in the face, or your fingertips hurt, the truth is that there is no concern for anyone but SELF when behind the wheel or handlebars, for MOST. Survival of the fittest.

Disagree?

bullie~

Old 07-09-2013, 06:08 PM

Good Post ^^ Officer I tried to hit him but missed anyway. You left out blondes. And what about putting on makeup because I was late for work already? Reading the newspaper while driving slow in the fast lane.. I've seen it all.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:45 PM

437 posts, read 649,690 times
BWAHAHAHA!! You did NOT just put blondes on the block!! *falls off couch, laughing*

And you forgot the guys shaving with their electric razors. Let's be fair, with regard to the insanity, of BOTH sexes, shall we? *snort~

bullie~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive