Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 01:03 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,286,531 times

Advertisements

If I like it, I couldn't give a rip about anyone else's opinion. Besides, most cars I like are not going to sit well with the treehugging crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 05:16 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,151,858 times
Couldn't give a toss. I buy the car, not a flag or ideology.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:30 AM

17,604 posts, read 17,642,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
Clinton's Mustang was a 6 cylinder base model. I only remembered this because I recalled thinking how lame it was the first time I read about it back when he was president:

President Bill Clinton’s 1967 Ford Mustang - A Profile of President Bill Clinton’s 1967 Ford Mustang

Although I like to think politics wouldn't influence my car purchases, I don't think I'll be buying another Volvo now that they are Chinese owned. I do love our XC90 and I will look at the new one whenever it is finally released.
True, for performance, it was a lame engine. But it was very reliable and extremely easy to work on yourself.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:12 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,149,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
True, for performance, it was a lame engine. But it was very reliable and extremely easy to work on yourself.
Agreed, I drove a couple of Falcons in the 80s that had that engine. Indestructible. But come on, it's a Mustang convertible! I'm not saying you have to have a 428 but at least get one with a 289. That's just me, though...

Old 07-10-2013, 10:24 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,345,684 times
I drove GM and Toyota cars and trucks for the past fifty years but recently I discovered a 1990s Ford F150. My change was less politics than a move to retirement income and a desire for build quality. I would still buy a Toyota truck but the prices will probably make me stay with Ford.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:17 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,457,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
My dad was a GM guy (the now defunct Oldsmobile) so naturally I followed suit. But my mom bought a 73 Plymouth Duster so I also had an subliminal partiality for Chrysler. Back then it wasn't so much politics as Cubs vs. Cardinals, Yankees vs. Dodgers kind of thing.

Years later it is all about politics. I wanted to buy a crew-cab pickup, and everyone told me, buy a Toyota Tacoma, so I did. I like a manual transmission, so I found a crew cab Tacoma with the 6 speed amd bought it. I was disappointed. Cheesy interior, crappy paint job, and massive clutch failure at 33,000 miles. I junked it and bought a Dodge Dakota, which I'm happy with. But now, thanks to Obama, Chrysler is Italian owned, and I don't like what they did to UW student Amanda Knox. I love the new Fiats that are being imported, cute as hell, but no way am I going to buy one.

Several years ago I bought a Buell motorcycle, made in USA. I was never a fan of obese, slow, gas-guzzling Harleys, but when Buell came out with some reasonably performing bikes, I fell for it hook, line, & sinker. Then Harley pulled the plug. (sorry about the mixed metaphors).

Anyway, how does politics figure into your car buying experience?
I don't care about politics when purchasing a car. I also don't like mixing sports with politics.
Regardless of the Italian judicial system (which is a joke), did you consider the possibility that Ms. Knox may be a murderer?

Old 07-28-2013, 11:57 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,453,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
So you will rely on the American loyalists to buy Ford in order to boost the value of your shares yet you probably won't buy one? Interesting.
One can value a solid company without embracing its products. I'd never own a pair of Crocs but look what that stock was once worth. I don't eat @ Chipotle but seriously missed the boat investing in them. Still some growth available w/ IBM and I use Apple. And on and on.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive