Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 05:48 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,328,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Correct. President Obama has complained more than once that he misses driving but the Secret Service forbids it. (Much of the time he was a senator Obama drove a leased 2005 Chrysler 300 but he later traded that for a Ford Escape Hybrid.) The car he is driven in most often is referred to by them as "The Beast." The current highly armored Beast was made in 2009 by GM. It is an amalgamation of many Cadillac parts married to a chassis like the one in the Kodiak line of commercial trucks. The Secret Service also owns a bunch of Chevrolet Suburbans with the presidential seal on the door and sometimes they drive Obama in those. They no doubt have unmarked vehicles they drive him in, too. Some presidential limos of the past were Lincoln Continentals but in recent years all presidents have had some version of a Cadillac to ride in, save George H.W. Bush, whose official limo was a Lincoln Town Car.

Last month, the Department of Homeland Security opened bidding on a contract to build a new presidential limo. It will be required to withstand direct strikes from rocket-propelled grenades or IEDs, and will contain the most modern electronic communications and jamming equipment, as well as an air system to protect against gas attacks.
Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 05:49 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
I do try to stick with big three cars (or former big three). They are made around here. It could be uncomfortable to pull into someones driveway in a Toyota and find out they just lost their job at ford due to declining US sales. There are clients or potential clients i could lose driving a foreign make. there are places where you have to park far away if you are not driving a local brand. Although it is far more rare than 20 years ago, you can get keyed, spat on, or run off the road in a Toyota, Honda or kia. Those reasons alone are not enough to make me stick to big three. There is no reason not to go with Ford GM or Chrysler now. They are all competitive and just as good or better than foreign makes (except maybe Chrysler, I am not fully convinced they have liked their QC issues, they still use the same suppliers). I just have an affinity for them. Mostly however we buy what we find for a good price. Only my wife and I actually choose our cars. The ones for the kids are whatever come along and include a Volvo - I think the rest are all big three. My toy is also foreign make Jensen Healy, but that is not going ot offend or cause any problems.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:00 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,643,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I do try to stick with big three cars (or former big three). They are made around here. It could be uncomfortable to pull into someones driveway in a Toyota and find out they just lost their job at ford due to declining US sales. There are clients or potential clients i could lose driving a foreign make. there are places where you have to park far away if you are not driving a local brand. Although it is far more rare than 20 years ago, you can get keyed, spat on, or run off the road in a Toyota, Honda or kia.
Wow! I'll make sure to never go to Michigan (since I own Toyota and Hyundai).

Old 07-08-2013, 07:57 PM

17,629 posts, read 17,703,968 times
Quote:
Correct. President Obama has complained more than once that he misses driving but the Secret Service forbids it. (Much of the time he was a senator Obama drove a leased 2005 Chrysler 300 but he later traded that for a Ford Escape Hybrid.) The car he is driven in most often is referred to by them as "The Beast." The current highly armored Beast was made in 2009 by GM. It is an amalgamation of many Cadillac parts married to a chassis like the one in the Kodiak line of commercial trucks. The Secret Service also owns a bunch of Chevrolet Suburbans with the presidential seal on the door and sometimes they drive Obama in those. They no doubt have unmarked vehicles they drive him in, too. Some presidential limos of the past were Lincoln Continentals but in recent years all presidents have had some version of a Cadillac to ride in, save George H.W. Bush, whose official limo was a Lincoln Town Car.

Last month, the Department of Homeland Security opened bidding on a contract to build a new presidential limo. It will be required to withstand direct strikes from rocket-propelled grenades or IEDs, and will contain the most modern electronic communications and jamming equipment, as well as an air system to protect against gas attacks.
And yet some presidents in the past (before I was born in 1969), after leaving office, drove off in his personal private car instead of a limo or presidential helicopter.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:37 PM

16,395 posts, read 30,300,419 times
If a person has lost their job at a Big 3 or a Tier One auto supplier recently, it is less likely due to declining sales than due to offshoring of parts to Mexico by the Big 3.

In 1984, I was jumped by some thugs for driving a foreign car. As the police officer was leading them away, he reminded them that the Chevrolet Chevette was a domestic model.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:05 AM

2,172 posts, read 1,454,995 times
Interesting thread.... I used to buy only American-made. 1st car was a Pontiac and then, like a junkie to a fix, I kept going back to JEEP [Just Empty Every Pocket]. That was probably my undoing and have since "gone Japanese" [Toyota & Lexus].

Sorry - I work hard for my money. After suffering through too many inferior American-made vehicles, they lost me. It's a global economy and they've lost my loyalty. International competition and product development should command better quality and fair pricing stateside - not blind allegiance to questionable cars.

I love having Ford shares in my retirement account but doubt I'll ever have one in my driveway.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:30 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,698,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrexDigit View Post
Interesting thread.... I used to buy only American-made. 1st car was a Pontiac and then, like a junkie to a fix, I kept going back to JEEP [Just Empty Every Pocket]. That was probably my undoing and have since "gone Japanese" [Toyota & Lexus].

Sorry - I work hard for my money. After suffering through too many inferior American-made vehicles, they lost me. It's a global economy and they've lost my loyalty. International competition and product development should command better quality and fair pricing stateside - not blind allegiance to questionable cars.

I love having Ford shares in my retirement account but doubt I'll ever have one in my driveway.
So you will rely on the American loyalists to buy Ford in order to boost the value of your shares yet you probably won't buy one? Interesting.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:17 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,291,069 times
Quote:

Obama enjoys being catered to and for. Don't let him fool you. Plus the last thing he wants is to get out among the people (that wasn't hand picked supporters). Clinton had a 428CJ Mustang that he would go play in while he was president. GW Bush, they couldn't keep him out of his trucks when he would go home to Texas. In fact he did the sneak out the back side of his ranch to catch a plane to go vist our Troops for Thanksgiving. He drove . Secret Service guys had to catch up ! lol. Obama could drive if he even owned a vehicle which he doesn't. Anyone remember Reagan's GMC pickup he ditched to avoid a headon near his ranch when he was President? Secret Service didn't even know he had left the house! lol But he wanted to go to town and speak with everyday people and did.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:21 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,698,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
And yet some presidents in the past (before I was born in 1969), after leaving office, drove off in his personal private car instead of a limo or presidential helicopter.
To be fair, presidential safety standards wasn't as sophisticated as today and with the Presidency growing in scrutiny, power and publicity with each President. The time you speak of probably wasn't much of a danger driving away in your own car.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:51 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,087,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
My '02 PT Cruiser never had any of those problems. In 5 years and 75k miles, it had zero issues whatsoever. My buddy bought one because mine was so reliable and he had similar results (and he beat the crap out of his using it as a delivery vehicle).

I don't use politics OR single, old examples of a car brand to influence what I buy. I buy what I like, sometimes that's Asian, sometimes European, and sometimes American. Hell, some ignorant people think I bought my Volt for political reasons and politics had nothing to do with it. I just happen to like it.
You and your buddy got very lucky...read Edmunds or any other auto review site on them where actual owners review them...I'm glad you guys got a couple of good ones though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive