Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 08:14 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Good luck finding a green car.
Even blues are more muted?
Why?
Resale. They make the colors that most people want and can resell quickly.
It is kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy, though.

I do have a charcoal truck, but my sports car is red (as they all should be).
Depends on the car (or truck)

BMW has a very nice shade of blue for 2013. They don't offer many color options this year with a Blue and Red as the most exciting color other than shades of black thru grey with a couple white options and a sand color option.

Mini on the other hand has lots of color options for their cars. Which is funny since Mini is part of BMW. You can find s very nice shade of green in the Mini line up.

Porsche offers a limited amount of color options with 4 standard colors, black, red, yellow, and white. They also have 7 metalic colors with black, Silver, Dark blue, aqua blue (which is kind of dark as well), brown, mahogany, and grey. Along with 3 special colors, Silver, cognac (Brown), and lime gold (Kind of looks like a light green metalic) Red is big as it should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 09:26 AM

117 posts, read 202,102 times
Default Spot-on observation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
This is funny....
For generations, people have held up Beige as the very symbol of blandness.
Recently I saw a shiny new, proudly beige car, and it stood out like a white-over-red '55 BelAir.

Despite all their excessive self-esteem, people are more obedient and conformist now than they ever were. If you ever want to give your eyeballs a treat, page through a color book of automobile paints, going through the Fifties. The apex of the decade (actually of the century) was 1955-6-7, and those colors will have you smiling for days after.

I actually have a game where I look for uninterrupted clusters of cars with the same color in traffic. I've gotten to eight so far.

Yes! Those colors in the '50s and '60s were amazing. Isn't it interesting that color movies seem to dovetail with brightly colored cars and clothing? The late '50s/early '60s had very garish colors (think Elvis wearing pink!).

Old 08-13-2013, 10:20 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Depends on the car (or truck)

Honestly, I would have loved a forest green truck/suv.
But your options are VERRRRRRY limited. So I went dark/charcoal grey instead.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Honestly, I would have loved a forest green truck/suv.
But your options are VERRRRRRY limited. So I went dark/charcoal grey instead.
Not sure if it is forest green, but Ford has a shade that some may like for the F series

2013 Ford F-150 Pickup Truck | More Powerful, Capable & Advanced. | Ford.com

Old 08-13-2013, 04:02 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Don't wan to buy a car I do not like just to get the clor I want, though.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:43 AM

8,073 posts, read 4,747,652 times
Hey, now! I drive a green car. And I get a lot of compliments on it!

One aspect of this conversation that hasn't been brought up is the fact that most fleet cars bought as "company cars" for businesses and government agencies are typically white. I'm not sure if it's the "appliance effect" (believing that buying a car in white is cheaper, as white appliances tend to be) or if the purchasers just didn't want their fleet cars to be "distinctive". Similarly, rental car companies buy their cars in the most neutral colors imaginable in an effort to have their rentals appeal to (or at least not repel) as many customers as possible. So a lot of these bland cars you see on the road might not be purchased by the driver.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:22 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,023 times
I think this question highlights one of the odd human traits (we are fallible creatures after all)... The trait where people strive so hard to "be different" from everyone else, but at the same time the people who generally try their hardest to be different end up being huge conformists. As for the neutral colors thing, I think it all boils down to people not wanting to drive around in something that stands out too much (even though deep inside they want to be different)... we are a complicated species!

Old 08-14-2013, 11:42 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditi jyoti View Post
black, grey, beige and white? Bor-ing! Those dull tones are not therapeutic for us on an energetic level!

I don't drive but if i did? I'd either get a sky blue or sage/green-blue car...
that's racist!

Old 08-14-2013, 11:49 AM

Another school of thought is that when a color starts to become popular you will see every brand putting it on their cars.

For corporate cars it was mentioned that many companies buy white. One reason is it is easier to wrap a white car with graphics. A lot of companies don't repaint anymore but get the car wrapped with advertising. In the end the wrap comes off and they can unload a shiny white car.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:35 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,690,297 times
My dad painted cars for a while.
I remember him saying something about there being so many white vehicles because it cost less to paint a vehicle white than any other color.

Not exactly a current event though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive