Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you prefer to buy Foreign or Domestic?
Foreign 42 41.58%
Domestic 25 24.75%
Any/Both/Don't Care 34 33.66%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 03:27 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,183,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Whats 'more' Domestic, a Ford built in Mexico, a Toyota built in San Antonio or a Hyundai built in Alabama?

How about a BMW built in South Carolina?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 03:30 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,444,680 times
One thing I never understood about domestics, is why does the AC compressor come one when the flow control switch is in the vent/floor position? It isn't on in vent position. It isn't on in floor position. It is on in the combination position. (Not talking about windshield defrost position).

Also, I wish domestics has an independent switch for outside vs recirculated air. For example, it isn't possible to run the heater in recirc mode without the AC compressor being used. The only recirc mode is max AC so to have recirc and heat you have to turn the switch to max AC. I don't get it.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:52 PM

24,517 posts, read 33,370,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
One thing I never understood about domestics, is why does the AC compressor come one when the flow control switch is in the vent/floor position? It isn't on in vent position. It isn't on in floor position. It is on in the combination position. (Not talking about windshield defrost position).

Also, I wish domestics has an independent switch for outside vs recirculated air. For example, it isn't possible to run the heater in recirc mode without the AC compressor being used. The only recirc mode is max AC so to have recirc and heat you have to turn the switch to max AC. I don't get it.
The reason why the compressor is on in some modes is because it dehumidifies the air to remove moisture. This prevents fogging of the windows in humid weather.

However, the "economy" position in my '76 Cadillac allows air to blow through the vents without the compressor engaging.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:17 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,444,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
The reason why the compressor is on in some modes is because it dehumidifies the air to remove moisture. This prevents fogging of the windows in humid weather.

However, the "economy" position in my '76 Cadillac allows air to blow through the vents without the compressor engaging.
I understand what the compressor will do to the humidity in the car.

But why is the compressor engaged in the the combo mode but not the vent only mode and not in the floor only mode?

And yes, in vent only setting the compressor doesn't come on.

Also, can you run the heater with recirculated air without engaging the compressor?

Old 08-16-2013, 04:24 PM

24,517 posts, read 33,370,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
I understand what the compressor will do to the humidity in the car.

But why is the compressor engaged in the the combo mode but not the vent only mode and not in the floor only mode?

And yes, in vent only setting the compressor doesn't come on.
Again, the compressor is engaged to prevent excess humidity inside the car.

Quote:
Also, can you run the heater with recirculated air without engaging the compressor?
Running the climate control with recirculated air is the same whether it's warm or cold air blowing. There is not separate heater control. Which is what "automatic climate control" means... no separate heating or cooling; it's all combined.

And the compressor runs regardless. However, I don't think that is exclusive to American cars. Some foreign cars probably have the same system.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:31 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,437,088 times
Any and all.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:33 PM

7,010 posts, read 12,002,299 times
Interesting responses. I don't fully understand why people still hold the "poor quality" issue over the head of domestic automakers. I understand that in the late 90's and early 00's they were making crap and most of the Japanese cars were cheaper and far more reliable and of better quality, etc. But this is some years later, after GM and Chrysler both had a near death experience. In 2012 GM sold more cars than any other company in the world, they overtook Toyota. Is it not safe to say that GM especially has improved the quality and reliability of their cars in recent years?

I have a 2001 Chevy Camaro, not the most sought after or iconic of those cars, but a muscle car nonetheless, which aren't exactly known for lasting well. Through its age and mileage the car has held up remarkably well having absolutely no issues that weren't related to wear and tear on the vehicle.

You're going to get a lemon car sometimes, doesn't matter who you buy it from. Right now GM makes some of the most fuel efficient vehicles on the road. I suppose I prefer domestic because I feel like I am investing in America, none of the profits are going overseas to benefit an Asian or European company. All the profits are staying inside of North America, and most of the profits go back to Michigan/Detroit, which can use a little help.

This may sound a little conceited or arrogant, but I just wouldn't feel that I'm doing my country a favor by buying a foreign car, I wouldn't feel as American driving something that wasn't made here.

Automobile are the last major export the United States has. It's something we still build here and export around the world. In a day in age where everything is being made overseas in poor countries and shipped here for cheap, the American automakers are still going strong. If they were to have gone under back in 2008 and unable to recover what would America have then? We would have lost one of our most substantial exports.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:34 PM

7,010 posts, read 12,002,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
I drive foreign vehicles. My father had an Chevy Equinox when he died, his driving wasn't so good, after he died I had to have the vehicle worked on, the replacement parts were made in China...so I was wondering, if think we are driving an American made vehicle, are we really? Assembled here with foreign parts?
Did you have the Equinox worked on at the dealership?

Old 08-16-2013, 05:59 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,781,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Did you have the Equinox worked on at the dealership?
Actually, yes, my friends husband worked there, he is the one who brought it up to me.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:57 PM

528 posts, read 825,710 times
The above graphic says it all, I buy what I like. I have a Jeep Cherokee (U.S.), Mazda 6 (Japan) amd a Chrysler Crossfire (German drive train and assembly). It's a global market and most manufacturers share technology, parts, suppliers and they are all screwed together pretty much the same. Asian, European or American, your car will break at some point and the dealership will be there to take as much of your money as they can. Finding yourself a good honest independent mechanic is your best bet.

Last edited by xjken; 08-16-2013 at 09:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive