Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2013, 11:59 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,703,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zevin11 View Post
What is the point of all these fast 400-500 HP cars?

If you have to ask, you'll never understand them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 12:01 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
As they raise the speed limit, higher performance cars gain appeal for me. I am much more comfortable driving 80 or 90 in a car designed to go 165 than I am in a car designed to go 80, or even one supposedly capable of doing 100.

Like many others, I will never use the top speed of my car, but I will certainly use the 0-60 capabilities. To me driving should be fun. You spend at least 10% of your waking hours driving. If you can make that 10% fun rather than a chore, it can make your life better in general. when I am driving a performance car, I look forward to the drive home. It will be a little bit of fun before dinner. Some people like to go for a bike ride, I like to go for a drive in a peppy car. That is why I insist on a manual transmission even though automatics are sometimes faster now. It is not about speed, it is about fun and enjoying your drive. Sometimes at lunch I will just go drive around on certain roads, just to get out and Vrrrrroooom. It makes a nice break.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:06 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strateloss View Post
Very impractical for city dwellers.

You now need a pickup, a trailer, and a place to keep the racecar.

Better to just own a daily driver car that is track fun whether it is a 200 hp Honda or 550 hp BMW.

Also you are forgetting about all the luxury amenities the 500 hp cars offer as standard equipment they're usually loaded to the gills and are high performance editions of regular city cars ie Civic's Impreza's 5 series Beemers etc.
Exactly this.

Also, If a miata can pull a small trailer to hold it's race tires, then any other car would be able to if they can't fit them in the car!

Old 08-27-2013, 12:31 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
When your sitting 6 inches off the ground doing 133 MPH in a 1/4 mile every few mins try having SEX every few mins....can't be done.......no better way of getting your rocks off then going down the 1/4 mile....ask John Force with Top Fuel Funny Car.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:36 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,971,719 times
Driving a fast car is definitely fun, its just not worth the extra expense.

Having a 400-500 HP vehicle is like having sex without being able to finish. Being forced to use all the HP's on a track is like getting a prostitution, gotta pay to race right?

Old 08-27-2013, 01:37 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post

Having a 400-500 HP vehicle is like having sex without being able to finish. Being forced to use all the HP's on a track is like getting a prostitution, gotta pay to race right?
that may be true, but at least you wont get any social diseases from running the 1/4 mile weekly.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
that may be true, but at least you wont get any social diseases from running the 1/4 mile weekly.

LOL. You sure about that? I've seen some of the ladies at the car races...speaking of street walkers.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:44 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,833,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strateloss View Post
Very impractical for city dwellers.

You now need a pickup, a trailer, and a place to keep the racecar.

Better to just own a daily driver car that is track fun whether it is a 200 hp Honda or 550 hp BMW.

Also you are forgetting about all the luxury amenities the 500 hp cars offer as standard equipment they're usually loaded to the gills and are high performance editions of regular city cars ie Civic's Impreza's 5 series Beemers etc.
You can rent space at the track to store your race car if you don't have space at home. Also a sport bike, dirt bike or shifter kart takes up very little space in the garage and fits into the back of a pickup (even a short bed with the tail gate down)

Luxury amenities are not found in track cars. They just add weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
Exactly this.

Also, If a miata can pull a small trailer to hold it's race tires, then any other car would be able to if they can't fit them in the car!
Takes more than tires to make a track car. Even spec miata's have a welded roll cage. Weld in a roll cage in your 400-500hp sports car and see what that does to resale.

Purpose built race cars/bikes/karts will poop all over a street car round a track. Not to mention you can't race a street car at the (road) track with out a roll cage and various other safety features (hi temp brake pads, 5 point harness etc) that will ruin any resale.

You have no insurance if you race your street car at the track. How many can afford to crash their 400-500hp car?

Fact of the matter is that high HP street cars have very limited use if motor sports is your thing. They are more about showing off and stroking the ego. Nothing wrong with that but let not pretend they are real race cars. A few track days a year (no racing) are about all they are likely to see, if that.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:45 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post

To some perhaps, to others well worth it. I woudl far prefer to drive a fast car than watch an 80" TV, wear designer shoes, or get drunk regularly at some bar. I would prefer driving a fast car to attending a baseball game, establishing a collection of ceramic figurines, sitting in a leather couch. There are load of things we do in our society that are done just because we enjoy them (or in many cases becasue we are told to enjoy them in the media) and which are as or more expensive than driving a fast car fast. Try owning a boat or a horse, smoking cigars, bicycle racing, rowboat racing (crew). All majorly more expensive past times than driving a relatively fast car.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
To some perhaps, to others well worth it. I woudl far prefer to drive a fast car than watch an 80" TV, wear designer shoes, or get drunk regularly at some bar. I would prefer driving a fast car to attending a baseball game, establishing a collection of ceramic figurines, sitting in a leather couch. There are load of things we do in our society that are done just because we enjoy them (or in many cases becasue we are told to enjoy them in the media) and which are as or more expensive than driving a fast car fast. Try owning a boat or a horse, smoking cigars, bicycle racing, rowboat racing (crew). All majorly more expensive past times than driving a relatively fast car.

I don't own anything expensive that automatically depreciates. If you get a cheap classic and fix it up on your own, then thats not depreciating.

I had a brand new 2007 GT Mustang right out of college. It was a fun fun vehicle to drive. However, I got real tired of the monthly payments and higher insurance premium.

I'll stick with my slightly used under 20k vehicle and get my adrenaline rush with cheaper, more exciting, and more memorable activities. I remember skydiving, ziplining, white water rafting, etc. I don't remember too many times where I'd have fun driving my car. The times I do, I was speeding and driving like a prick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive