Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 06:51 PM

19,100 posts, read 27,685,875 times

Advertisements

I just saw this on another site..

I plugged my new Prime into a public AV charger for the first time today. I had to call the number at the top of the charger and provide the charger number to set up an account. The person on the phone said that it was $4.50 for a long charge and something like $9.50 for a fast charge. Since a charge is only good for less than 25 miles this seemed a bit expensive to me. They suggested they have other "plans" for charging one's plug in car?

On a fast charge, plus tax, it will be 40c a mile. That's IF he makes those 25 miles on that charge.
My 98 MGM costs me 15c a mile.

Wha?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2019, 07:06 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,665 posts, read 81,421,151 times
Electricity is still relatively cheap, about 10 cents/kWh here, but buying and installing a commercial grade charger, maintaining and providing the systems for payment add up and make it expensive. They are not in it for fun or for helping the environment, they are a business trying to make money, so it makes sense. Any economical benefits from a plug-in come from charging at home or a rare free charging station.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:32 PM

22,675 posts, read 24,654,149 times
Hybrids are just a stopgap until the emerging technologies start to pan-out on a broader scale. Not a money-saver, not a resource saver, not much of a fuel saver.............a mediocre stop-gap.

Oh yeah, some hybrid implementations are great performance-enhancers.

Old 10-31-2019, 06:47 AM

3,808 posts, read 2,338,277 times
My Volt uses my home charger to charge up, and gets it's 38-40 mile range from that. The home charger was $300, the installation $500 and my electrical company reimbursed me so that there was no cost to put it in. That makes charging a cheap and easy thing to do. I've rarely needed to charge when out and about, but use the free chargers to do it. Why pay as much as or more than a gas to do so? There are tens of thousands of free chargers across the country (they are not rare), and an app like Plugshare shows where they all are: https://www.plugshare.com/

As for not being a money/fuel saver, I'm averaging $10 a month in electricity to commute with (at 10c per KwH) and IF I use gas (I've used 6 gallons in the last year), it gets almost 50 mpg, though my lifetime average is actually closer to 200 mpg, and in day to day use, just about infinite MPG. The fuel savings alone (saved $200 a month in fuel costs) paid for the lease payments when I originally got it 6 years ago, and then when I bought it, I only paid $8500 for it wholesale. it's definitely saving money on the daily commute vs the last car I had.

Old 10-31-2019, 07:03 AM

61,912 posts, read 87,428,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
My Volt uses my home charger to charge up, and gets it's 38-40 mile range from that. The home charger was $300, the installation $500 and my electrical company reimbursed me so that there was no cost to put it in. That makes charging a cheap and easy thing to do. I've rarely needed to charge when out and about, but use the free chargers to do it. Why pay as much as or more than a gas to do so? There are tens of thousands of free chargers across the country (they are not rare), and an app like Plugshare shows where they all are: https://www.plugshare.com/

As for not being a money/fuel saver, I'm averaging $10 a month in electricity to commute with (at 10c per KwH) and IF I use gas (I've used 6 gallons in the last year), it gets almost 50 mpg, though my lifetime average is actually closer to 200 mpg, and in day to day use, just about infinite MPG.
^^^ pretty much all this. Minus the installation from the electric company. The charger was free from the car dealer.
I charge my car at home after I return from work. The electricity usage is minuscule, so I do not even consider it an extra cost. At my work parking garage, there are plugs to charge our cars. The company I work for is very green in every aspect. I never need to charge the car when up and about in the city.
The battery is also charged through regenerative braking and by the internal combustion engine.
https://afdc.energy.gov/vehicles/how...tric-cars-work

Old 10-31-2019, 07:19 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,409,172 times
As echoed above, the point with plug-in hybrids is to plug them in at home. When you use public chargers, unless they are subsidized, you are also paying a cost recovery/profit to the owner of the charger. I'm confused by the tone of the OP- did OP think that businesses can stay in business by giving things away for free?

I'm lucky in that my workplace has subsidized (free to me) charging, and a couple of shopping centers around me have it too, so I almost never pay to charge, and I almost never charge at home. But if I didn't have access to that, I would just charge at home since it's the next cheapest, and certainly cheaper per mile than OP's 98 MGM.

For plug-in hybrids, since their batteries are so tiny, you don't even need to install a charger at home- you can just charge it from an ordinary wall socket while you sleep. I have a full battery EV so I needed higher power option at my house, but I spent all of $30 to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet myself and that gives me 50 amps at 220v using the cord that came with the car.

Old 10-31-2019, 08:45 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,569,955 times
No one uses those chargers or pays that much unless they are rich or in a desperate situation. Normal people charge at home for much, much less.

Old 10-31-2019, 08:59 AM

21,909 posts, read 25,231,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I just saw this on another site..

I plugged my new Prime into a public AV charger for the first time today. I had to call the number at the top of the charger and provide the charger number to set up an account. The person on the phone said that it was $4.50 for a long charge and something like $9.50 for a fast charge. Since a charge is only good for less than 25 miles this seemed a bit expensive to me. They suggested they have other "plans" for charging one's plug in car?

On a fast charge, plus tax, it will be 40c a mile. That's IF he makes those 25 miles on that charge.
My 98 MGM costs me 15c a mile.

Wha?
Most of them don't meter it so it's just a flat charge rate, same for a 300 mile range Tesla as a 11 mile PHEV Prius. No real reason to do the fast charge on the Prius. That's more for EVs than PHEVs as it'll take days to charge up at the slower rate.

Old 10-31-2019, 09:02 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,587,738 times
As others have said, those rates are for a charge on a full EV. No reason to pay that for a PHEV

Old 10-31-2019, 09:03 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,312,694 times
As has been echoed, I plug my Clarity in the 110 plug at night, and it's good for 40-50 miles by the time I get up to go in in the morning. I've never used a public charge point, and likely never will, as that's why it's a hybrid. It will run fine on gas when there's no power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive