Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 10:55 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,018,788 times

Advertisements

Rusted bolts!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 11:07 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,104,421 times
Lack of space to work on stuff has always been my biggest gripe, but now that I'm getting older, if I wrench on a car and I've been crawling around all day under it, my body is useless the next day. I have almost every tool imaginable to do all sorts of jobs, but what I don't have is a lift. Even if I did, my damn garage is a 3 car tandem. There's not enough space to work on a car in the single front spot, so that means it has to be one of the back two. Then, it's not convenient to work on a car in the regular parked position, because they are too close to the wall, need to open doors, move around, etc. So I park in the middle of the rear two spaces (which then blocks the front car from being able to get out) and stops our other car from getting back in. It's just a big PITA.

I was going to buy a lift, but ended up not doing it because I'd still have much of the same problems of being too close to a wall for some jobs. We live on a hill so working in the driveway isn't even feasible either.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:28 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
I hate anytime I have to work on my back and fixing other peoples cars were they dismantled to try to fix a problem and left a mess for me to figure out.
isnt that the worst!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Rusted bolts!!
torch the buggers!!

Old 09-04-2013, 11:33 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,275,785 times
I mostly hate wondering where the leftover bolts were supposed to go.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:38 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,424,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I mostly hate wondering where the leftover bolts were supposed to go.
In the back of the toolbox

Old 09-04-2013, 12:12 PM

123 posts, read 295,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
- Getting all sorts of damn fluids on my hands and rest of my body that I have to wash too much and it ruins the skin on my hands
I know latex / nitrile gloves don't solve that completely but I'd never work on a car without them! I'm kind of a freak about washing my hands in general... if I didn't have plastic gloves for cleaning I'd go crazy destroying the skin on my hands washing them so much.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:27 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,838,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
- Rust rust rust (in my case especially because mine are all old!)
- Sitting on the ground and laying on the ground hurts my body
- Cuts
- Getting all sorts of damn fluids on my hands and rest of my body that I have to wash too much and it ruins the skin on my hands
- Taking twice as long to complete something at home than working at a shop on a lift
- My small garage, lack of moving space
- Dark when I work outside
- Tools everywhere on the ground
- Never finishing in time

ARRHH I just am sick of working on my damn cars

Just wanted to vent

Everything said here, and if no one has added it yet, how about blood leaving the arms while you are trying to find the bolt head up in an area that two hands can barely fit. Also, grease under the nails that has to wear off. And for me, the number one reason, torn up knuckles.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:00 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,725,615 times
The worst to me is getting fluids in a cut. I don't care about it getting on my skin or clothes, but brake fluid (i'm pretty sure, it could be trans fluid) burns like no other!

I also hate not having a lift. At my parents house in michigan between my garage and my brother in laws down the street, we had every tool you could ever need... except a lift. Then to fit in the 1st world problems category... the fact that I couldn't work on my car in the garage because that's where the motorcycles sat.

this is an isolated thing as it's not every time, but turning the key for the first time after doing something major like an engine swap.

This is indirect, but because I worked on my car, I then became the family mechanic.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:15 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,457,282 times
Maxjax lift for $2000

MaxJax Portable Two-Post Lifting System by Dannmar

It's in the works...eventually I'll convince the wife

Old 09-04-2013, 01:16 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,424,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choo_choo_train_lol View Post
I know latex / nitrile gloves don't solve that completely but I'd never work on a car without them! I'm kind of a freak about washing my hands in general... if I didn't have plastic gloves for cleaning I'd go crazy destroying the skin on my hands washing them so much.
Yes they definitely do help a lot. I sometimes double up by using latex gloves on bottom and mechanic gloves on top which makes your hands safer from cuts and protects the latex gloves from ripping. Does get hot and sweaty though in the summer as it was for me yesterday. Makes for putting on a new set of gloves hard. Probably how OJ got off ... sweating bullets about going to jail, glove doesn't fit....HMMM!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive