Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 01:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,000 times

Advertisements

The only thing I hate about working on cars is how huge my hands are. It makes getting into small spaces hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 01:57 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
2 lifts, every tool you really need and nearly the same for equipment (still working on a getting a Bridgeport)…. With all that it still requires time to go work on projects, time that is more often than not spent alone with only my thoughts and the radio. I do not do automotive work for a living, it is a passionate hobby but I enjoy the end result of my work more than the means of getting there. I would rather be enjoying the projects and having them transport me to (or be used in) other hobbies, vacation spots or places to meet with friends and family. It also does not help that I am a perfectionist and seemingly simple tasks can pan out a long time, I justify it by that I will never have to work on it again… or so I think. All first world problems that are not really problems/complaints but rather circumstances not in line with my preferences. So mainly, it is time for me… followed closely by any encounter of stuck fasteners, no matter what it may be part of!

Old 09-04-2013, 03:30 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Down here it just gets too hot during the summer. You'll be drenched in sweat and have gnats in your face. I get too frustrated.

Now if its a pleasant 65 degrees outside that's different.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:21 PM

133 posts, read 173,553 times
For me it's about getting under the car and the possibility of getting something, anything, in my eyes. Very irritating. Even when wearing eye protection it seems to somehow happen.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:57 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,112,421 times
The placement of parts in such a way that, collectively, the interfere with their removal. I'm looking at you nissan.
The need for specialty tools, I'm looking at you GM.
Front wheel drives.
Rust, given my propensity for classic Z cars, this is a horrible strain on self-discipline.
Metric and standard mixtures.
Drum brakes.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:07 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,275,307 times
Being responsible for the whole car!!

I dont mind working on my car. I know what it needs and have an idea of preventative maintenance and try to take care of the major things before they go wrong.

Its everyone elses car that I decide to be a nice guy and save my friends hundreds of dollars over small things. Because I fix something, and then something else breaks and Im automatically involved or held responsible...

Some people just dont get how mechanical things work and that everything wears down to the point of failure. JUST because I did a brake job on all 4, that doesnt mean everything else is all good to go..... So dont blame me because your head gasket blew out a week later. I thought people were smart enough to not ignore a flashing coolant light, or ANY red/yellow light on the dash.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:13 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
I've always enjoyed working on my own vehicles but I simply can no longer work on one in cold weather outside. On the other hand, at my age, I can't take heat either. Today it was 101 degrees while I attempted to get my Ferguson TO30 tractor started in order to get it into the shop where I have to split it in order to install a clutch kit this weekend. What I found was a bad starter switch so I'll have to try again tomorrow morning when it's still cool. First I'll have to locate the new switch I bought last year and put somewhere so I could find it. That should take most of the morning.

I've also lost some of my sight and the bifocals I wear do little to help these days. I'll have to have shop lamps strategically placed around the tractor in order to see what I am doing. On a possibly related issue, I seem to have the ability these days to lay a tool down, turn away for a moment and the tool somehow has magically transported itself into another time dimension only to return to the same place some hours later. Meanwhile the noise from the barrel fan and the heat from the shop lights are killing the small amount of patience age has left me. I can't find my ratchet that just disappeared so I'll just call it a day.

Of gee! I forgot about the new tires I still have to put on my grand daughter's motor scooter...

Old 09-04-2013, 07:20 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Gear oil. It's sticky, smelly, won't wash away and it's usually a PITA to change ... I hate the stuff.
I've always wondered why shop people don't wear those thin latex gloves... I'd wear them just so I wouldn't have to scrub my hands for a half an hour every day.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:45 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,275,307 times
Because the nitrile/latex gloves just tear apart after a while.

Ive always used Fast Orange and other similar hand cleaners.

Gear oil STINKS sooo bad oh man thats a nightmare.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:21 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,439,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
- Rust rust rust (in my case especially because mine are all old!)
- Sitting on the ground and laying on the ground hurts my body
- Cuts
- Getting all sorts of damn fluids on my hands and rest of my body that I have to wash too much and it ruins the skin on my hands
- Taking twice as long to complete something at home than working at a shop on a lift
- My small garage, lack of moving space
- Dark when I work outside
- Tools everywhere on the ground
- Never finishing in time

ARRHH I just am sick of working on my damn cars

Just wanted to vent

I hear you.

For years, I did my own oil changes, tune-ups, etc. Now that I'm in my 60s, I just no longer have the inclination to crawl around in confined spaces under hot, oily, greasy, machinery. I get the oil changes and tune ups done by younger guys with better equipment at places set up to do it efficiently while I wait. Costs a little more, but I'm fine with that.

My remaining years are too short to put up with the aggravation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive